Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Question on NidaCore  (Read 1331 times)

November 09, 2008, 09:36:46 AM
Read 1331 times

luv2flycessna

• Information Offline
    • http://s364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/luv2flycessna/
Question on NidaCore
« on: November 09, 2008, 09:36:46 AM »
I am about ready to redo the deck on my '74 19-6 and have been reading about some using NidaCore, If I were to use NidaCore how do you fasten something to the deck in the future say a rocket launcher, bait tank, etc.. at least with marine plywood I know you can screw to it.

just trying to think ahead before before use NidaCore over Marine Plywood.

Also is this NidaCore like a Polycarbonate Panel?
Lowes has a huriccane pabel that is made of Polycarbonate honeycomb material and was wondering if it was the same, close or not even?

how is the NidaCore fastened to the stringers?

never redone a boat deck before so will probably have lots more questions.

Thanks for any and all input.

any other input would be great on getting started with the new decking.
luv2driveaquasport
\'74 19-6 \'86 Mercury BlackMax 150HP

November 09, 2008, 07:08:05 PM
Reply #1

jupitermike1

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:08:05 PM »
there are many different types of nida core I am thinking of using a nidacore with fiberglass on both sides from manufacture,but I don't think polycarb panal would be useible, what i am planing to do is to bond the panals ( plywood or nida core) to the stringers with a bonding putty (polybond) then to glass around the flange I left when i cut my deck out. My boat being an inboard I can also glass along the inside of both stringers, I am also going to install rod lockers outboard of the console as i saw in sombodys rebuild on this site, this will also inable some glass tabbing on the bottom of the flange where i can reach I think this will be plenty.I am going to do without foam fill.
1975 22-2 inboard

November 09, 2008, 08:16:08 PM
Reply #2

luv2flycessna

• Information Offline
    • http://s364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/luv2flycessna/
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »
Quote from: "jupitermike1"
there are many different types of nida core I am thinking of using a nidacore with fiberglass on both sides from manufacture,but I don't think polycarb panal would be useible, what i am planing to do is to bond the panals ( plywood or nida core) to the stringers with a bonding putty (polybond) then to glass around the flange I left when i cut my deck out. My boat being an inboard I can also glass along the inside of both stringers, I am also going to install rod lockers outboard of the console as i saw in sombodys rebuild on this site, this will also inable some glass tabbing on the bottom of the flange where i can reach I think this will be plenty.I am going to do without foam fill.

ok great thanks for the input, will you be ordering the Nidacore online or can you find it local. I will search around and get some info on the bonding putty.
once again thanks
luv2driveaquasport
\'74 19-6 \'86 Mercury BlackMax 150HP

November 10, 2008, 08:29:00 AM
Reply #3

slippery73

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
Just go to the nida core site and search around, they have sell a lot of products and you can find what works best for your application. In regards to installation on the deck, you would want to make sure you either have a backing plate or you can use a router and rout out a section of the honeycomb material and fill with glass.

November 10, 2008, 01:33:20 PM
Reply #4

blindmullet

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »
Fiberglass coatings sells it www.fgci.com - make sure you use more wood/composite then you would think for mounting.  It would be bad to 'under-guest-a-mate' and have a bolt/screw rip the deck.

November 10, 2008, 06:22:33 PM
Reply #5

jupitermike1

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »
If I go that route I will get the nida core directly from them they are close to me and I am in the marine biz, As slippery suggested I will put in extra glass anywhere somthing screws down, You will get the bonding putty where you find the nida core.
1975 22-2 inboard

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal