You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 1991 21 WAC  (Read 14593 times)

August 12, 2009, 05:30:47 AM
Reply #15

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 1991 21 WAC
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:47 AM »
Unfortunately you're part of the weight forward when you're standing at the wheel.  In a Center Console you're back in the rear 1/3 as you stand behind the wheel - in the explorer, you're in the forward 1/3 and as you know, that's not the best place to be on a boat in rough water.
The explorer should come with a helm enclosure standard as ANY wave of about 3 ft is going to cover the helm and the rest of the boat in spray - ask my wife, she's been soaked many times as she sat in the back as we were underway.  
In a small sea the boat handles fine, anything over 2s and you're in for a rough ride and a wet one.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 12, 2009, 09:12:45 AM
Reply #16

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 09:12:45 AM »
Quote from: "Badonquasport196"
Just my $0.02-

One thing I do notice about a WAC's ride quality-  all that weight on the bow tends to make the boat "plow" through the water.  It rides funny, especially when you're used to a C/C.  Not a rough ride, but definitey not the responsive ride you would expect out of a C/C.  Trim Tabs are absolutely necessary.

I have to agree.
I noticed the same feeling while piloting the 225 in Charleston. I've been running around in a CC for so many years that it was indeed a new sensation. I'm sure I'd get use to it with seat time.

As far as trim tabs go, I'm a firm believer in the benefits they provide. They made the 222 a completely different riding hull by bringing the hull closer to level rather than bow high and removing list. Whatever hull type I end up with, it will have tabs.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 12, 2009, 09:18:50 AM
Reply #17

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »
Quote from: "RickK"
The explorer should come with a helm enclosure standard as ANY wave of about 3 ft is going to cover the helm and the rest of the boat in spray - ask my wife, she's been soaked many times as she sat in the back as we were underway.  
In a small sea the boat handles fine, anything over 2s and you're in for a rough ride and a wet one.

Yep,
That's the CCP also. My wife now moves to the rear when it gets sloppy and dons the rain gear.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 05, 2009, 09:25:05 PM
Reply #18

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »
I dug up this post rather than start a new one.
I drove down to Seminole early today and took a hard look at the 21 mentioned above. Took a sea trial in the Gulf (mill pond conditions).

It has issues.  :(

The deck and transom are solid but... it appears that the cap, where it joins the transom at the cutout is starting to separate. This area is covered with a piece of angled plastic. It appears (but I'm not sure) that the cap was laid on top of the transom at this point and caulked along the seam. Then the plastic cap was riveted over the top of the connection.

The hydraulic steering turns great to starboard but not good at all to port.

A lot of little things broken off after 18 years of use. Capt's helm seat, support for cabin door top hatch yada yada yada.

So I thanked the guy for his time and...

I bought it :scratch:

Since this post is worthless without pics, I'll attach a couple tomorrow in a new post to give you guys a laugh.

It's been 13 years but once again, I'm the owner of two Aquas.

I need my head examined  :idea:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 06, 2009, 06:51:17 AM
Reply #19

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 06:51:17 AM »
Congrats :scratch:
Rick

September 06, 2009, 05:24:23 PM
Reply #20

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »
CB:  This post is worthless without pictures!    :lol:  :lol:  

Congrats on the new addition!  Got your WAC - or are ya just WAC-y?  

Can't wait for the pics...   :shock:    :scratch:    :wink:  

See ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

September 06, 2009, 07:44:40 PM
Reply #21

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »
Here ya go.
Some from the original link and a couple three from ones the PO sent.

She's in good shape structurally.
I discovered the problem with the hard to port steering and it will require a little work but little or no cost.

My son says he smelled gas in the cabin so I'm going to pull the tank cover and expect the worst/usual. It needs to be re-caulked anyway.
Guess I'll have to either learn about Yamaha engines (original factory issue) or mount my 5 year newer Rude.

A lot of waxing and new Bimini top with enclosure and I'll be on my way.

More to follow.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 06, 2009, 08:39:38 PM
Reply #22

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »
Hey, you scored a couple fishing rods!  Looks pretty good to me - not a makeover boat - more of a cosmetic thing.  :thumleft:  

More of the BIG question - are you going to change the name?   :shock:

See ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

September 06, 2009, 11:38:42 PM
Reply #23

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"

More of the BIG question - are you going to change the name?   :shock:

Already started buying the booze  :wink:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 07, 2009, 05:58:28 AM
Reply #24

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 05:58:28 AM »
Looks good Bob  :!:  :!:

No bottom paint  :thumleft:

Cabin looks identical to mine to include the light and the water stain on the carpet under the windows  :wink:

Seems they changed the lockers at the aft and narrowed the transom opening.  You have the same fishbox in the sole in front of the engine.  I would like to know what yours looks like with both the little and BIG covers removed.
The helm area is classic Explorer.  Seems the boat is identical to mine from the helm area forward.  If I get a chance I'll take a picture of the half round hatch I installed in the forward seat and post it.  Makes all the difference in cooling the cabin.  Really low profile too so you can sit on the cushion with only a little "bump".

So that is where they mount the windsheild wiper - hmmm, my buddy gave me one, I'll have to pull the access panel down in the cabin and see what kind of room I have.

Congratulations Bob.

In the pix, the guy across the street has an Osprey  :thumleft: , another potential member.
Rick

September 07, 2009, 08:21:24 AM
Reply #25

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »
Quote from: "RickK"
Looks good Bob  :!:  :!:
No bottom paint  :thumleft:

Cabin looks identical to mine to include the light and the water stain on the carpet under the windows  :wink:

Seems they changed the lockers at the aft and narrowed the transom opening.  You have the same fishbox in the sole in front of the engine.  I would like to know what yours looks like with both the little and BIG covers removed.
The helm area is classic Explorer.  Seems the boat is identical to mine from the helm area forward.  If I get a chance I'll take a picture of the half round hatch I installed in the forward seat and post it.  Makes all the difference in cooling the cabin.  Really low profile too so you can sit on the cushion with only a little "bump".

So that is where they mount the windsheild wiper - hmmm, my buddy gave me one, I'll have to pull the access panel down in the cabin and see what kind of room I have.

Congratulations Bob.

In the pix, the guy across the street has an Osprey  :thumleft: , another potential member.

Thanks Rick.
A lot of boats with bottom paint out there. I got lucky with this one. :)
With a good waxing the hull will look almost new with only minor scratches but no real deep chips.

Even the newer ones seem to have those water stains,go figure. :scratch:

The lockers are angled and there is a fair amount of room in each (relatively speaking). The starboard has a battery, 3 position switch and the fuel filter/water separator. The port has the oil tank and another battery.

When you pull the smaller cover, a compartment (fish box/storage?) with drain appears. Pull the larger, and you expose the bilge pumps (main and bait tank) and you then can remove the compartment with the drain. The area between both stringers is exposed from the tank coffin to the hull drain with a large portion of the transom exposed. This really let me see the transom and tap on almost the entire face from both inside and out. It is extremely clean in all of these areas and was a big factor in the purchase of this older hull. I'll post a pic of this area.

It is classic Explorer/XF. I like the storage/livewell areas under the seats and they extend all the way forward. The lines are much cleaner on this style than the later "Wellsports". The decals on the helm read "210 Walkaround" and everything is factory applied including the "chrome" Aqua badges. The port side decal has some damage but I'm not sure there's a suitable replacement available (I will check eBay).

There's three small storage areas under the cushions and the fourth in front of the console. Probably could be a sink in later models?

The wiper motor doesn't appear to be too intrusive and it appears brand new. The PO said that's the way it came and he never replaced it. It does work.

Photos of the hatch would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, there were really three Aquas on that block  :o and I saw several more while out on the sea trial. The area is crawling with them. The 170 in the pic belongs to a relative of the PO and the street was crowed as I hooked up to take mine away. Selling of the boat brought out everyone. It was quite the scene with all the different family members present. A very nice experience and a good omen IMHO.

Both the CCP and the 210 are now parked in the back yard and it becomes apparent that they share a common lineage. The lines, the construction and the style are all there. I realize that a 222XF would be the sister to my CCP but I think the layout of the 210 is improved while retaining the same solid build quality. It took a while but I found what I really always wanted.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 07, 2009, 09:50:54 AM
Reply #26

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
A lot of boats with bottom paint out there. I got lucky with this one. :)
With a good waxing the hull will look almost new with only minor scratches but no real deep chips.

Even the newer ones seem to have those water stains,go figure. :scratch:

The lockers are angled and there is a fair amount of room in each (relatively speaking). The starboard has a battery, 3 position switch and the fuel filter/water separator. The port has the oil tank and another battery.
Here are the lockers on my 230:

I have 2 batteries and the trim tab pump in the Starboard locker - you need a shoe horn to get those batteries in there - a big pain.  The oil tank (I think 2 gallon) and fuel filter are in the other locker.

When you pull the smaller cover, a compartment (fish box/storage?) with drain appears. Pull the larger, and you expose the bilge pumps (main and bait tank) and you then can remove the compartment with the drain. The area between both stringers is exposed from the tank coffin to the hull drain with a large portion of the transom exposed. This really let me see the transom and tap on almost the entire face from both inside and out. It is extremely clean in all of these areas and was a big factor in the purchase of this older hull. I'll post a pic of this area.
Sounds like what I have too.

It is classic Explorer/XF. I like the storage/livewell areas under the seats and they extend all the way forward. The lines are much cleaner on this style than the later "Wellsports". The decals on the helm read "210 Walkaround" and everything is factory applied including the "chrome" Aqua badges. The port side decal has some damage but I'm not sure there's a suitable replacement available (I will check eBay).

There's three small storage areas under the cushions and the fourth in front of the console. Probably could be a sink in later models?
Like these: (I have almost forgotten what I store in them now - since I never go in them)

The wiper motor doesn't appear to be too intrusive and it appears brand new. The PO said that's the way it came and he never replaced it. It does work.
I'd be interested in what you see when you take the access panels down below the helm - the covers for the wiring and below the dash.  Mine was a rats nest.

Photos of the hatch would be greatly appreciated..
I'll try to remember to do that.

Yes, there were really three Aquas on that block  :o and I saw several more while out on the sea trial. The area is crawling with them. The 170 in the pic belongs to a relative of the PO and the street was crowed as I hooked up to take mine away. Selling of the boat brought out everyone. It was quite the scene with all the different family members present. A very nice experience and a good omen IMHO.

Both the CCP and the 210 are now parked in the back yard and it becomes apparent that they share a common lineage. The lines, the construction and the style are all there. I realize that a 222XF would be the sister to my CCP but I think the layout of the 210 is improved while retaining the same solid build quality. It took a while but I found what I really always wanted.
I think you'll like the boat - I like mine but it is a bunch of work compared to the 170 - it is HUGE compared to the 170 in every way; trailering, launching, cleaning, topping off.  But once I'm out on it, it's great.  I can almost put the 170 in the cockpit - need 4 more feet.
Was the PO the original owner?  Maybe he has some original documents?
Rick

September 07, 2009, 12:47:29 PM
Reply #27

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 12:47:29 PM »
Nice boat Bob!  Look forward to seeing more pics.

September 07, 2009, 11:08:25 PM
Reply #28

Marcq

• Information Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »
Great looking boat Capt.Bob :salut: If I ever upgrade that's the model I woold like so I could extend my boating season which is too short with my 170 :(

What's the dry weight of that model?

Marc..
1979 170 Aquasport 70hp Evinrude

September 08, 2009, 06:28:11 AM
Reply #29

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 06:28:11 AM »
Thanks Marcq.

From the info in the resource section, it's 3100 lbs.
That's 900 lbs. heavier than my CCP but who's counting?  8)
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal