Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Aquasport 22-2 Rebuild Log  (Read 9333 times)

September 09, 2008, 05:49:05 PM
Reply #45

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »
I have decided not to learn fiberglass repair by doing an underwater portion of my boat. I am paying a friend $200 to repair the entire keel area of the boat and apply some new paint. I will try and take pictures as I go along but I do not know when and where he plans to do it. I will learn to fibergalass on sections above the water line, where the job is less critical.
Stock 1973 222 Open Fisherman
\'87 Evinrude 140hp V4 (with VRO)
"Floor it"

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/C ... mview=grid

September 10, 2008, 09:15:47 PM
Reply #46

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »
I came home today only to find the boat gone and replaced with a 12 foot catamaran???  :?:  :?:  :?:

I called my friend and he had run out of room in his shop. He swapped my boat with a catamaran he was working on and will swap them back when he's done. Guess I wont have any repair in progress pics but I will take some when its all done and back home.
"Floor it"

September 27, 2008, 12:46:54 AM
Reply #47

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »
while the site was down i got a lot done. My friend totally repaired the hull, including a nasty spot and a horrid crack I did not see (hidden by multiple layers of bottom paint) He ground everything down and did multiple (like 6 or 7) layers of fiberglass. Now the boat looks better and stronger than the manufacturer probably made it. He made everything look great and put some bottom paint on it. He took 20 pics with a film camera and I have yet to scan them in so I will upload them asap.

Update: After yesterdays flooding rains i went out to check on my boat. I was surprised to see that I only had about a cup of water in my boat. Its such a releif to not have a leak in the hull and also an automatic bilge as well. Even after a month without use, my motor started up with only a second or two of cranking. As I was leaving the harbor I noticed my friend's most unfortunate Whaler was swamped and about an inch from being underwater. I pretty much sat there for 2 hours with a hand pump because his battery was underwater so his automatic one surely would not work. The harbormaster is out for the season as well so I was on my own. Turns out his float lever went faulty and the pump never turned on. Then his battery got wet and all was lost from there on. When he gets home from vacation he owes me a drink or two  :wink: Then I took out my 22-2 and sped across some flat waters (those post-storm waters are amazing). Maybe its because Ive been off the water for so long, but she was handling beautifully. I could take turns tighter than my body could handle and hit speeds I deemed unsafe, I was quite glad to be back out on the water. I am glad I payed somebody more professional than myself to do hull work because I am much more confident with the fix. I will learn to fiberglass eventually, but It will be above the waterline.

Again, I will post pics of the fix once I figure out this darned scanner
"Floor it"

October 18, 2008, 04:45:28 PM
Reply #48

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »
Well, it took a while but she is out of the water. I'll take pictures of the nice repair job soon, but the bottom paint reaally hides how well done of a job it was, just like it hid the crack in the back...

It might take a while cause I left the camera up at the lakehouse and I dont know when the next time is I'll be up there.
"Floor it"

October 25, 2008, 05:31:19 PM
Reply #49

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2008, 05:31:19 PM »
Well I havnt been online in a while but the boat is in the yard now and not much has happened. Im pretty sure the only two things I have done is install a stainless steel 12v socket in the dash and clean 'er up a bit. I really dont know what else I can do to tweak the engine before winterizing... I am going to get a couple new spark plugs though cause I can see some wear. As for winterizing, Im going to get some winter fuel treatment, top up a small 6 gallon tank, then do the usual run+fog then change the gearcase fluid. I  want to do some fixes and repairs over the winter I am opting for a tarp-tent over it instead of paying $$$ for shrink wrap that I cant get into
"Floor it"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal