Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Minimum power for 240 Sea Hunter ?  (Read 221 times)

May 01, 2018, 12:57:20 PM
Read 221 times

slowman

• Information Offline
Minimum power for 240 Sea Hunter ?
« on: May 01, 2018, 12:57:20 PM »
Hi there.
I'm new to the group so I rather introduce myself so you'll better understand the questions that puzzle me.

I come from the sailing part of boating world. 'Had 3 boats (1 monohull and 2 catamarans). All sold now. I still own a small inflatable Zodiac that goes quite well with as low as 10hp.
Now I'm looking for a boat to enjoy short trips to the islands with family ( 2+3 ).
Having little money to buy, run and maintain a boat, I'm very concerned about the HUUUGE amount of gas swallowed by motorboats.
Unfortunately (!), I felt in love with a used (much used) Aquasport 240 outboard hull, that could suit me.

So here's my questions:

Q1- What is the smallest engine (hp) that could manage to push this boat to , say, 12 knots (5 person onboard) cruising speed?
I saw speed data (32 to 40 mph) given for 155 to 225hp on the SeaHunter brochure found in the CAS pages, but could I use 90hp/75hp... if I accept to be slow? Could I cruise 12 knots or even 10 knots with 90/75/60/50 hp?

Q2- I fixed the 10/122 knots speed as I feel it is fast without being unconfortable. But I know that a planning hull must reach a certain speed in order to overcome its own wave. Do you have an idea of at what speed your AS 240 starts planning? (If planning speed is higher than my 10-12knots value, then I'll have to rethink all, using a target cruising value of planning speed + x knots).

Q3- Apart from the higher costs (buy and maintain) of a bigger engine that is easy to understand, I'm not sure to have a clear view of how fuel consumption works on a planning hull:
I understand that, in order to give same speed (on same hull) a 90HPengine will run higher in the rpm than a 150HP, but does this mean that fuel consumption will then be similar?

Q4- the 240 outboard hull is given for 2600lbs. Do you think this value is reliable or did you notice much higher weight (as is it can be the case with old foam-filled hulls)?

Thanks for any help to decide wether or not I'll buy the boat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal