Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Radio Interferance  (Read 1588 times)

August 26, 2005, 07:52:34 PM
Read 1588 times

Tailgunner

• Information Offline
    • http://nbrigham.com/Nix/nix.html
Radio Interferance
« on: August 26, 2005, 07:52:34 PM »
When my motor is running I get interferance on my VHF. The higher the rpms the more static I get. Anybody have a solution?

It was a problem today when I had to contact the USCG. I had to shut the motor off to hear them clearly.

In the old days one would put resistor spark plugs in the car when this happened.
Tailgunner
Ex owner of Ethel Ann 1973 222
Now in BroadBill\'s hands

August 27, 2005, 01:41:20 PM
Reply #1

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 01:41:20 PM »
Clean/check your grounds.  Make sure there's very little electrical resistance between the radio ground and, the battery ground.  Also make sure the PL 259 connector is on/clean.
1973 22.2 Osprey - Sand Bar II
Miamuh, Florida

August 28, 2005, 09:54:45 AM
Reply #2

Tailgunner

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 09:54:45 AM »
Thanks Radioshop. Will do.

Part of the winter project is to redo all the wiring.

Another question for you is what is your opinion of liquid electric tape?
Tailgunner

August 29, 2005, 01:56:06 PM
Reply #3

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 01:56:06 PM »
Tailgunner,
I think liquid electrical tape is the best thing since sliced bread, if used correctly. I never use the stuff by itself, I always use it in addition to conventional electrical tape.  When I say electrical tape I don't mean cheap assed tape, I mean Scotch "33" or, Scotch Temflex.  First I wrap the connection in one layer of electrical tape, making sure to have slight overlaps and, absolutely no bulges where the adhesive is sticking itself.  Then  I brush a light coat of liquid tape making sure to cover the joints where the tape comes together.  Paint just a skosh above and, below the first layer of electrical tape.  Allow the liquid tape to dry.  Then apply another layer of tape to the outside, following the same guidelines as before, except wrapping a skosh above the liquid tape.  When applying conventional electrical tape, pull a little bit of tension, but not too much.  Pulling too much will only cause the vinyl to contract and pull loose.  

Now, why would I have three layers of sealant?  First, electrical tape, if left to it's own devices will eventually fail.  Second, liquid electical tape isn't easy to neatly apply to a connector because of all the features in the said connector, in dollas/cents terms you'll use more liquid material anyway. The first layer smooths things out.  Third, electrical tape itself is actually fine, if only it held together.  Fourth, due to the fluid nature of liquid electrical tape, it allows no void, if applied evenly, which can be done reliably on a smooth surface.  Fith, the outside wrap gives a neat appearance and, further protects the liquid tape, which is actually the critical component in this whole system.  Sixth and, final, if for some reason the connector needs troubleshooting, take a utility knife and, slice open all three layers and you should see a clean connector that you won't have to carve dried liquid tape off of.  Many times, using a volt/ohm meter it is possible to check both side of a connector, only to determine the problem is elsewhere.  Now you haven't wasted a bunch of time carving goo off and/or whacking suspected connectors off with impunity (thus making wires shorter in length).  

I apologize for going on and, on here, but you did ask my opinion.  For extra credit, if you wish, use shrink wrap in place of the conventional electrical tape.  Don't use the self adhesive stuff because you'll never get it off if ever neccessary.  Not to mention, I don't trust the self adhesive part to begin with.
Miamuh, Florida

August 29, 2005, 02:23:15 PM
Reply #4

Tailgunner

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 02:23:15 PM »
Don't apologize. I did ask and you did respond.

I know about the "33". We use it here at work and I love it.

I have been using those blue elec crimps for joing wires and then covering them with 2/3 coats of liquid elec tape. I like your way better and will try that.
Tailgunner

August 29, 2005, 02:28:11 PM
Reply #5

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 02:28:11 PM »
Tailgunner,
Are you aware of the color codes on the connectors?  Blue is 16-14 gauge, red is 20-18 gauge and, yellow is 12-10 gauge.  Also, what kind of crimper are you using?
Miamuh, Florida

August 29, 2005, 02:36:18 PM
Reply #6

Tailgunner

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »
Yes I am aware of the color coding. I know of which you speak.

The connectors I'm talking about and you'll hate me for using them, are those cheap plastic folder over types. There is a metal piece inside with two grooves. You place one wire in each groove and then using pliers or a crimper, close it. There is a small plastic flap that thens holds it all closed. I then cover the whole thing with liquid tape.

Excuse:
It was all I had at the time. I only used them a "couple of times".

I now have the proper type of all sizes with the heat shrink ends. I knew when I used those others that I would have to replace them. I did NOT use them for the VHF.
Tailgunner

August 29, 2005, 02:58:46 PM
Reply #7

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 02:58:46 PM »
Oy Vay!!!  I don't trust those things for anything.  Just as long as you know better, I've met people that think they're actually a good solution.
Miamuh, Florida

August 31, 2005, 08:54:21 AM
Reply #8

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 08:54:21 AM »
Quote from: "Radioshop"
Tailgunner,
I think liquid electrical tape is the best thing since sliced bread, if used correctly.

Great advice Radioshop!  I use standard heatshrink instead of tape (unless I forget to slip on the heatshrink before crimping  :oops: ) but either method works great.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

August 31, 2005, 02:29:26 PM
Reply #9

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 02:29:26 PM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
Quote from: "Radioshop"
Tailgunner,
I think liquid electrical tape is the best thing since sliced bread, if used correctly.

Great advice Radioshop!  I use standard heatshrink instead of tape (unless I forget to slip on the heatshrink before crimping  :oops: ) but either method works great.

I hate it when I forget to put the shrink on first ack!!!
Miamuh, Florida

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal