Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Removing a stuck fuel tank  (Read 696 times)

May 06, 2020, 11:02:16 AM
Reply #15

kevinr

• Information Offline
Re: Removing a stuck fuel tank
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 11:02:16 AM »
"not my friend" indeed.

so since the last post, I pulled the tank and cleaned it up. filled with water - 3 leaks. 2 on top (vent hose fitting and a pinhole near a weld) and 1 nasty little nearly invisible pinhole halfway down on one side. cleaned them all and used aluminum brazing rod to fix. retested with a little water pressure - good to go. very, very glad i went through the process of pulling the tank. 50 gallons of gas and 3 leaks soaking into a bunch of foam where I couldnt see it - no bueno.

then i go to clean out the coffin so I can reinstall the tank - and i notice a new wrinkle. the tank was so stuck to the bottom of the coffin that it literally tore the fiberglass coming out. one long rip about 3-4 ft long. the "foam" on the bottom had turned to a solid, very stiff layer about 1/8" deep. it was more like dried glue in places. so i'll get that patched and painted before the tank goes back in.

next up - rewiring. there are zero gauges in this boat. no bilge pumps. the lighting wiring is shot. old 6 place glass fuse block. ebay and I got friendly and there is a pile of stuff headed to my house to fix all this. Hope to be on the water about July.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal