Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Fuel tank replacement cost  (Read 708 times)

February 11, 2014, 08:17:49 AM
Read 708 times

Aquamaniac

• Information Offline
Fuel tank replacement cost
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:17:49 AM »
Tried searching but unable to get search to cooperate. Was trying to get ballpark cost on replacing a fuel tank on a 91 200. Original tank, but had slime stuff on top of tank when I checked under the two covers. No fuel odor though. Might be due for new?
I figure enough folks here have done it to have that info.
Thanks!

February 11, 2014, 09:39:08 AM
Reply #1

Bergertime

• Information Offline
Re: Fuel tank replacement cost
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »
A couple things...

If you have stuff on the top of your tank it's likely due to leakage either from your deck or hatches that is collecting there which is a easier fix and much less expensive. In of itself prob. not enough of a reason to replace your tank assuming you don't have a tank leak which you would likely smell or see or you are undertaking a project (deck replacement) where it just makes sense to do at the same time.  Most leaks occur on the bottom or sides where your tank is susceptible to corrosion (if aluminum) or friction. I just replaced mine and the 125 gallon custom aluminum tank was right at $1K.  With a smaller boat and a generic space for re-placement you might want to consider polly.  There are pro's and con's to each so size and location are important details as is mounting which would drastically increase your costs if you decided to have the work done.  

I am sure others will stop by and weigh in...  Tell us more about what is going on and why you are ultimately thinking about a tank replacement. Pictures are always a + too.

B
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

February 11, 2014, 10:10:54 AM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »
Figure about $8 per gallon for an aluminum tank.  Call Phil at Alloy Metal Works (see the resources section) and he will give you a quote over the phone.  They usually fabricate and deliver within 2 weeks.  

Tel: (631) 694-8163
Fax: (631) 694-1213
E-mail: Alloymetalworks@yahoo.com  

Good luck!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

February 11, 2014, 12:17:58 PM
Reply #3

Aquamaniac

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
No clear symptoms of leak(smells,etc)....just concerned if goop on top of tank was tip of iceberg.....indicating moisture intrusion and potential for corrosion. Looking at this 91 as purchase candidate....so trying to assess any 'hidden costs' looming in future.
Overall, the boat is as solid and clean as I have seen. Transom looks great....not even stress cracks in coat. Bit too big of a motor for much economy (84 Merc 150)....but sure ought to push it. Anyone know weight of motor?

February 11, 2014, 12:38:16 PM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:38:16 PM »
91 200 came with a 56 gal tank.

55 gallon tank cost me $550 in 2010.

84 150 Merc. weights in around 385 lbs.+/- dry depending on the model.

Total cost to install varies, as has been mentioned.
What's you time worth?
Are you capable of this type work?
You may encounter some tank coffin cover repair.
Hoses need replacement also.
Another thread on hose cost just started. Check that out.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

February 11, 2014, 12:48:00 PM
Reply #5

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
I'm with Berg. If it is just some goop, grease, crap etc....take the hatch off, degrease it, see what you've got. If it were leaking you'd smell it. A '91 should be fine for several more years if the coffin is dry and has decent air circulation.

While the hatch is off, check the coffin bottom and make sure its dry...if not, check the drains at the rear, and add some if needed.

February 11, 2014, 02:28:35 PM
Reply #6

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »
Just my opinion or approach to buying a 23 year old Aquasport.

First, if the tank is aluminum then I've figured into the offer the cost of replacement, period. It may not be tomorrow but it will come sooner than you think.

Second, we've seen very few (if any) 91 hulls here so one has to assume it is set up like the older Aquas as far as the tank containment and mounting. That stated, water trapped between the mounting straps and the tank will lead to corrosion, be it on the top, sides or bottom. The "sniff" test is a good indicator of a leaking tank but it doesn't disclose what will happen if the tank shifts on its mounts. This often happens when the tank is filled close or to its capacity and shifts in a rough sea or crossing a large wake. That shift will break the corrosion loose and start the leak.

I say this because these tanks were not mounted with an eye toward longevity. Ten years is considered good and while some have lasted far longer, I'd guess with the number of tank replacements noted on this Forum, that is the exception rather than the rule. If you sift through the replacement threads please note that there are several distinct opinions on methods to preserving the life expectancy of an aluminum tank, none of which were practiced at the Factory.

This tank may be poly and that would reduce the chance of failure. Do you know its composition?
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

February 11, 2014, 03:48:56 PM
Reply #7

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Since it's a perspecive purchase that changes things a little.. I agree with Capt Bob, it's not a matter of if, really when as I can attest to with my baby that is now 16 years young.  As suggested, inclusion in the overall deal is a good idea.  X2 on the questions of what is it made of and how is it mounted?

B
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

February 11, 2014, 06:26:40 PM
Reply #8

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »
I'd say $8 a gallon is a tad light.  Figure $10 a gallon...  plus shipping.  If it comes in cheaper than great!
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

February 11, 2014, 07:53:36 PM
Reply #9

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Just my opinion or approach to buying a 23 year old Aquasport.

First, if the tank is aluminum then I've figured into the offer the cost of replacement, period. It may not be tomorrow but it will come sooner than you think.

Second, we've seen very few (if any) 91 hulls here so one has to assume it is set up like the older Aquas as far as the tank containment and mounting. That stated, water trapped between the mounting straps and the tank will lead to corrosion, be it on the top, sides or bottom. The "sniff" test is a good indicator of a leaking tank but it doesn't disclose what will happen if the tank shifts on its mounts. This often happens when the tank is filled close or to its capacity and shifts in a rough sea or crossing a large wake. That shift will break the corrosion loose and start the leak.

I say this because these tanks were not mounted with an eye toward longevity. Ten years is considered good and while some have lasted far longer, I'd guess with the number of tank replacements noted on this Forum, that is the exception rather than the rule. If you sift through the replacement threads please note that there are several distinct opinions on methods to preserving the life expectancy of an aluminum tank, none of which were practiced at the Factory.

This tank may be poly and that would reduce the chance of failure. Do you know its composition?

Good and valid points all.

However...

If you pull the hatch lid and other than nasty, the aluminum is decent except for light pitting...you may can get a few to several more years. The '87 170 the other day, the owner stated the tank was okay on the sides and bottom... the only corrosion was on  the top.

Aluminum deterioration as we've learned is due to corrosion introduced externally.  Minus this corrosion, and assuming proper internal venting, you could fill a new aluminum tank with gas, set it on blocks in a shed....and would last a LONG time. Depending on weld quality and wall thickness...perhaps a hundred years.

Corrosion can occur via trapped moisture....or galvanic leeching from incompatible materials. Rubber on aluminum. Stainless on aluminum. Arsenic (pressure-treated pine) on aluminum.

CB makes an excellent point that ease of use and longevity were not a concern of manufacturers back then.

We'll know more when you pull that hatch and take a look....and post up some pics! :thumright:

February 11, 2014, 10:48:08 PM
Reply #10

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
I'd say $8 a gallon is a tad light.  Figure $10 a gallon...  plus shipping.  If it comes in cheaper than great!

Paid $660 in 2012 for an 82 gallon baffled aluminum tank from Alloy Metal Works. Pressure tested and certified. Delivery was an additional 72 bucks.

At my house six days after placing the order. Quality was superlative.

Shop around guys...then give Phil a call. Additional discount to CAS members after the final quote. See Vendor forum.

No affiliation, no kickback. CJ and I are trying to save you money.

February 12, 2014, 12:48:46 PM
Reply #11

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
No affiliation, no kickback. CJ and I are trying to save you money.
...AND give business to the quality, trustworthy vendors/small business owners who have earned it and deserve it most! :cheers:
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

1987 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman

February 24, 2014, 04:36:56 PM
Reply #12

TheKid

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »
I've been thinking about this since I bought mine. Thought about changing it out, but the cost vs it's working fine now has me holding out.

Mine is original 85 gallon 1979 tank. Think I have a few years to go!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal