Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 2002 AS 215 Ospery - livewell leak, water trapped, listing  (Read 538 times)

January 16, 2009, 11:47:32 AM
Read 538 times

vacottonking

• Information Offline
2002 AS 215 Ospery - livewell leak, water trapped, listing
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
Problem
Water enters the through hull drain for the livewell and the plastic fitting for the drain at the bottom of the livewell leaks.  This water drips into the part of the hull that is under the fishboxes, and actually gets forward into the helm console bilge area.  I am guessing that by design this water will not drain into the primary bilge so I just suck it out with a shop vac throught the battery area.  There was about 25 gallons of water here before I actually figured it out.  Not a big deal.  However, I cannot use my livewell since it leaks.  The water that comes through the 'through hull' fishbox drain is less than a quart per hour of use in rough water since the through hull is barely above the water line.  Even after drying out the visible water, there is a list in the boat to starboard equal to about 120 to 140 pounds of unwanted ballast.  (it corrects when I am in the boat alone and stand on the port side.)  

What I have done to this point
I keep the water sucked out.  I have removed the starboard rod-holder panel and can reach my hand under the live well, but have not been willing to cut that hose off since I do not know exactly how to replace the plastic part and I do not want to make it worse.  It is thight underthere and I believe I can get the old stuff off easier than put a new one on.  I also can here some sloshing in the hull but that could be gas.  

Questions
Could there be trapped water somewhere else in my hull?
Could there be some waterlogged issue with the hull?
What is the fix for the livewell drain?  where can I get the parts?  Actually I do not use the livewell so I could just plug the whole thing up.
I am most concerned about the possiblility of more trapped water or something waterlogged.  I hope this 12 degree night doesn't cause a problem.  I have a light in the rear bilge and one in the starboard console to keep it a little warmer.
2002 Aquasport Osprey 215DC, 200hp ox66 yamaha

January 16, 2009, 05:32:06 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: 2002 AS 215 Ospery - livewell leak, water trapped, listing
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
Johnny,
OK, first, your leaky livewell drain.  Most likely, it is a 1 1/2" drain.  It is also an elbow.  Apparently the hose to barb connection is leaking as the incoming water never seems to make it into the livewell.  Can you reach and get the hose off the barb?  Could be easier said than done.  Also can you reach the thru-hull on the hull side?  There are 2 reasons I ask this, because there are 2 fixes.  Or maybe 3.  First, and most likely the easiest, is to try and tighten the hose clamps at both ends of the hose.  Second, the hose could be split at the drain, and thus needs to come off there.  That's where this little device from T-H Marine.  Insert this inline scupper into the hose going to the t/hull and a new section of hose going to your drain.  I wouldn't want to lose the use of your livewell due to future resale considerations.  However, the third, and most drastic is, if you can reach and remove your t/hull, this little guy from Marine East.  Install that in you t/hull hole and never worry about it again.

Now for your list.  If you have her on a trailer, pull the garboard drain plug (that's a fancy name for your "buttplug"), raise the bow considerably, and see what comes out.  All you stringers should have weep holes in them that allow any trapped water to eventually drain into the aft bilge.  Hopefully it is simply some water trapped in a stringer compartment that hasn't had a chance to make it's way back to the bilge.

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal