Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Which cable do I need?  (Read 571 times)

January 19, 2008, 09:44:04 AM
Read 571 times

rburlington

Which cable do I need?
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »
Thanks for the help on the engine control.  I ordered the Yamaha 704 for my 1982 Express Fisherman with  1986 Yamaha outboard.  

I want to replace the cables too.  The current ones are in bad shape.  Any recommendations on specific brand and type within a brand?  Of course I know it has to fit Yamahas, but it looks like there are different types within brands that can be used.  Any help sorting out this confusion would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
RGB

January 19, 2008, 02:24:19 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Cables
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »
If you are talking about the engine control (throttle and shift) cables, they are pretty standard.  You just want to the the right length.  Best thing is to take them out and either measure it or take it to the store and match another set up to them.  You can go with OEM Yamaha cables, or get some aftermarket cables that fit the Yamaha from Teleflex or someone else.  Check around and see who's got the best deal, or do an eBay sort something like this:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

Hope this helps - see ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

January 20, 2008, 10:05:18 AM
Reply #2

rburlington

What length?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:05:18 AM »
Thanks.  Yes, I am talking about the engine control cables.  I found the original Yamaha type and have decided that is the way to go; no confusion over types of ends.

I thought of pulling out the old ones to measue them and pulling a wire through as they come out in order to put the new ones back in.  But there is a problem.  I am pretty sure that the current ones are way too long and that this (and their corroded state) may be contributing to the poor performance I was getting from the old control box.  

A rough measurement shows that I need about 21 feet.  Does any one know what length goes into the 24'6" Express Fisherman?

I got 21 feet by measuring down from the station to the point where the cables go into the conduit and then adding the length of the boat from the that point to the stern.  Then I added enough length to allow for a 12" bend to get into the conduit beneath the station (currently there is about a 3 foot bend reaching way forward between the cabin wall and the inside of the hull ) and 4 feet to get out of the conduit at the back of the boat, reach the engine and allow for the engine head to turn.  

Does that sound like the correct proceedure?

January 20, 2008, 12:13:17 PM
Reply #3

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Cables
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:13:17 PM »
How about this:

Pull one cable out and connect to the end of the other one.
Use the second cable to pull the first one back through.  
Align the second cable with the control box and the engine (remember to allow for engine pivot and tilt.
Measure the length of the second cable from box to motor and you should have a perfect fit.  

When you get the right cables, use the second cable to pull them through.
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal