You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 1976 222 Deck & Transom re-build details  (Read 1106 times)

February 04, 2014, 11:19:42 PM
Read 1106 times

clementsea

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
1976 222 Deck & Transom re-build details
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »
Hi all,

I haven't posted since last fall when I re-powered my 76 22-2 with the e-Tec 150.  

It seems that something happens to me every winter when someone sends me a link to a fishing video or a link to an Aquasport they think shows promise... my thoughts turn to my 22-2 and what I can do to make progress with her this year.  I dig into re-build threads on CAS & take what I can from them to make a plan for my boat based on my needs.  I've been addicted to this site lately... reading posts and looking at pics of 22-2 rebuilds for the past week!  You guys are great and I really value the advise and expertise shared here... Thank You!  I wish we had more of a contingent in New England... I'd love to buy a beer for at least some of the people who have been so helpful...

Even though I've spent a good deal of time looking thru re-building threads I'm still confused regarding a few structural details, (because I've never torn into a 22-2 myself), and I'm hoping someone can direct me to a thread that shows these details, or describe them to me.  The only other 76 22-2 rebuild I've found on the site is Necessary Evil's... his post is super helpful, but...

1.  I'm still not clear on exactly how the deck and liner are attached to the hull where they meet.  I'm assuming the top of the liner attaches along with the cap at the top rim of the hull... Is the liner glued or fixed to the hull?  Is there a member attached to the hull under the deck where it meets the hull to support the deck at it's perimeter or is it just glassed to the hull?  Also, how thick is the liner and what is the "bump out" at the just above the deck?  

I drew a pic:

I'm sure there are parts of the drawing that aren't right... so, if anyone can shed any light on this or send me to the right thread so I can check it out, that'd be super!  Thanks,
Doug
1976 22-2
Cape Cod

February 05, 2014, 09:28:08 AM
Reply #1

slvrlng

• Information Offline
Re: 1976 222 Deck & Transom re-build details
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
My 83 222 has small blocks of plywood attached to the outer hull every foot or so in between the liner and outer hull. The top of the liner was then screwed into theses blocks with 1 1/4 size 14 screws. the reason i know they are 1 1/4 inch is most of them especially forward of the console no longer have anything of substance to screw into. The blocks are pretty much toast after 30 years. i did try replacing all of them last year and everytime this past summer that I would launch off a larger wave one if not more screws would pop out and then roll down the deck to be collected once off plane. I now have a nice pile of them sitting on the console shelf. The only way I can figure to fix this is either epoxy more blocks where the old ones are or epoxy blocks in beside the old location. The problem with this process id it is very very tight space under the cap as you illustrated in your diagram.

Edit: The bump at the bottom of the liner is probably a plywood strip laminated into the liner for strength. This is also where the screws for the rodholders go into. When I repaired my rodholders I had to overdrill and epoxy fill each hole as the ply inside was mulch.
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

February 05, 2014, 10:29:05 AM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »
Hi, glad you're back!

The deck and the liner is actually one big "U" shaped part. This is why when replacing the deck, the guys are able to leave the liner sides in, and cut the old deck portion out, leaving a horizontal edge to reattach the new deck to. There was no original under-deck support beneath the interior hull  where you've "X"ed.

Here is what it looks like when the liner/deck is removed:

One of our members was able to lift the entire piece out via come-alongs, and save the liner/deck. He then flipped it over, and re-cored the deck with divinycell, keeping the original nonskid. It was pretty slick, his is the only example of that here on CAS. Captain Bob does a great job as archivist, hopefully he'll chime in as to where that thread may be :scratch: That was a right good while back.

The only downside to that is if you wanted to raise the stringer height in order to raise your deck for better self-bailing....you'd have to be real careful to follow the original slopes, angles etc. when raising the stringers. You'd also have to trim the top of the liner sides...

Lewis's (slvring's) boat is an '83. We've always thought of it as a hybrid of sorts between the 70's boats and the Ospreys...so his may be a bit different than yours.

Here are some more pics

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10459

February 05, 2014, 01:54:05 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
One of our members was able to lift the entire piece out via come-alongs, and save the liner/deck.

viewtopic.php?p=74892#p74892
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

February 05, 2014, 04:05:32 PM
Reply #4

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com