Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Deck replacement on 1995 AS Explorer 245 - advice needed  (Read 3189 times)

May 08, 2024, 09:16:18 PM
Reply #75

msteinkampf

• Information Offline
Re: Deck replacement on 1995 AS Explorer 245 - advice needed
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2024, 09:16:18 PM »
Before putting the deck back together, I wanted to remove some epoxy that I had carelessly splashed on the gel coat when I was rebuilding the deck for the fuel tank. It’s a spot about 3 by 6 inches with epoxy embedded in the nonskid.

I did some searching on the Internet about how to remove cured epoxy from gel coat, but I didn’t find anything better than what is in the West System fiberglass manual: “Use a heat gun to soften the epoxy (200°F). Heat a small area and use a paint or cabinet scraper to remove the bulk of the coating. Sand the surface to remove the remaining material.” I tried carefully heating up the area with my heat gun, but the epoxy wasn’t softening, and I was concerned that I might damage the underlying gel coat by overheating, so I tried another approach – hot water. I first tried soaking a towel lying on the epoxy with water at exactly 200 degrees, but the epoxy didn’t budge. However, pouring boiling water directly onto the epoxy did loosen it up enough to be picked out with an awl whose taper matched the grooves in the nonskid.

This method was tedious but effective. At one point I had three pots of water on the stove, as it was clear that water any cooler than boiling was ineffective. Scrubbing with a bronze bristle brush under boiling water removed almost all the remaining epoxy while leaving the nonskid completely intact.

I’ll finish cleaning the nonskid with some Soft Scrub and maybe some acetone or gentle pressure washing, but it’s clean enough for reassembly now.

M
1990 Boston Whaler Montauk 17 with 1991 Mercury 90 HP
1995 Aquasport Explorer 245 with twin 1995 Yamaha Salt Water Series 150 HP

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal