You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Paints, topsides and bottom and Gelcoat Topics

gelcoat over paint

(1/2) > >>

Anonymous:
I am refinishing a 25CCP and just finished most repairs. I really wanted to regelcoat the finish but just noticed that the boat has been painted prior. Does anyone know what prep is need for the gelcoat to work or the best way to strip the paint.  (I know I was asking for a lot of time to spray glecoat but wanted the durability now that may change).

RingLeader:
Your gonna need to strip that paint completely off and get down to bare gelcoat substrate. A DA sander, an inline air file, a long board, and hand block are how I'd attack it... in that order. Gonna need  lots of Bengay and/or elbow grease. And some kind of alcoholic beverage to get you through it all.

Buenos suertos

gofish:
Thanks for the reply, I tried to use a stripper on it, and it didn't do a thing as far as lifting any paint. So now I thing it's time to look a painting it. Anyone have any suggestions about repainting. I've sprayed gel and felt at ease with that but paint seems to me to be more work.

Wilson:
Paint is much less work.  You really shouldn't have to sand it after it is sprayed.  You will have plenty of sanding after spraying gelcoat.  

Prep is the most important part!!!

The paint that is on there is likely awlgrip.  I don't think that strippers have much effect on it.  If you want to gelcoat it you will need to remove ALL of it.  

This just makes topcoating with awlgrip that much more appealing.  Sand/fair and spray.

gofish:
Well I just did more inspecting and found the following. Prior owner installed a  electronic box ontop of consol and redone the none skid. What I found on the console was gel, grey primmer and white paint but on the floor were I did the repairs I found grey which looked like fractory because it's inbedded in the checker patern from the mold and appears to have a painted non-skid on top. All other areas seems to be gel. Does anyone know about the grey on the floor:would it be from the factory like that.  Info, the boat is a 89, 25CCP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version