Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Thinking about buying this one... 1987 200 Osprey  (Read 1734 times)

August 27, 2007, 11:40:22 AM
Read 1734 times

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
    • http://www.trinityrpc.org
Thinking about buying this one... 1987 200 Osprey
« on: August 27, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm seriously contemplating the purchase of this boat.  I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.  My biggest concern is the transom.  He has a 225 on the back of her with a jackplate and it looks like he has SS reinforcement on the transom, but I can't see it in the pic very well.  If I buy it, I plan on swapping motors with my V20.  I realize a 200 is probably still too big of a motor for it and the weight of the motors is comparable, but my motor is a 96 Oceanrunner and in really good condition.  

Please share your thoughts.  I trust nobody on this site will swoop it out from under me if it's a good deal  :lol:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/9/89765279.htm

Steve

August 27, 2007, 01:19:57 PM
Reply #1

beast819

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:19:57 PM »
it would be nice to see some new photos of the boat as the ones are dated almost a year ago.  Have you seen this boat yet? From what I can see that is a fairly good looking boat but can't really comment on the motor/transom issue. I'm sure some of the AS experts will chime in on this topic.  Got to love boattrader.com thats where I found my boat!  Good Luck.

August 27, 2007, 03:50:48 PM
Reply #2

CThomps

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:50:48 PM »
Nice looking boat but I think I'd trade the motor on the boat and the 200hp motor you have in on a 115hp of some variety.  

I guess it depends on what kind of cash you have but it also seems like you'd end up making up the differnce in fuel and oil savings.  

A 200 is kind of a ridiculous amount of motor for that boat.  I've got a 150hp Mariner on my 200 Osprey and it feels like over kill.

I eventaully plan on swapping it out for a 115 Mercury of some variety.  Probably just a two stroke salt water series.

Granted my 150hp does make my aquasport go pretty fast, I don't need the speed anymore.  Now I just like to get there.

Besides, there are 25mph zones, No Wake zones, and Minimum Wake zones every where down here.

Going real fast almost makes you feel like you're racing to the next stop light.  Pretty pointless really.

August 27, 2007, 04:22:07 PM
Reply #3

KeithG

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:22:07 PM »
I just bought the same boat, for about $1K more, but it does not matter, because I really like my boat.

Check the pictures out on this forum, Topic: 1987 Osprey 200.

I too have a 150 Johnson, and honestly I like it, just yesterday I was cruising @ 3400-3500 rpms and running about 31 mph, the motor was just humming along, a thunderstorm kicked up and the swells were from 1' to 3', man I just lowered those trim tabs and shoved that bow down into the waves, running 2400 rpms and still moving @ 19-20 mph very smoothly.

I would always rather have too much power than not enough, but thats different strokes for different folks.

Keith G

August 27, 2007, 04:44:47 PM
Reply #4

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:44:47 PM »
Keith,

I couldn't find the pics...   :(

Hey, do you know how much your boat weighs?  Also, what sorts of things come standard on it?  Live wells, bait wells, fish box?  What kind of storage does it have?  I've emailed the guy with some questions and he responded, but didn't answer all my questions...

I'll keep searching the site for your pics.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Steve

August 27, 2007, 05:14:45 PM
Reply #5

KeithG

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 05:14:45 PM »
Go to the photo gallery, then look under advertisements, then click on "all models brochure 1986-87, there is a spec sheet on your boat, by the way about 1550lbs.

KeithG

August 27, 2007, 05:46:45 PM
Reply #6

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 05:46:45 PM »
Keith, sorry about that, I did know about that brochure...  Saw it last week.

Still can't find the pics of your boat though...

August 27, 2007, 05:50:38 PM
Reply #7

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »
Found the pics!  It was right in front of me the whole time. :oops:

Thanks!

August 28, 2007, 03:18:26 PM
Reply #8

Kamikaze

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 03:18:26 PM »
Steve:

Boat looks nice but I'm not to sure about the t-top.  Suspect the bracket is put on to support the jack plate, put check the transom out real good when you go take a look.  You might want to consider the advice provided earlier and reduce engine HP ( and weight) vice adding your 200.  

The boat doesn't have a closed transom like your daully and you may experince more issues in a following sea with the weight of a 200 than  a 115-125 as suggested.  Unless your going to enclosed the transom and run a bracket?

I suggest moving the motor on this boat to your dually and selling.  Sell your 200 outright and purchase a good 115-125.  You'll find the price on the smaller HP motors much more attractive than what you must have paid for the 200.

Kamikaze

August 28, 2007, 03:46:40 PM
Reply #9

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 03:46:40 PM »
Kamikaze,

Thanks for the advice.  I think I like your idea about the various swapping and selling of motors.  That may be the way to go.  

About the T-top, what strikes you as odd?  Are you thinking that it affects the balance of the boat in a negative way?  

Funny, I just got the dually running decently and now I'm looking for another boat.  I must be nuts...  Thing is, I really like the lines on the AS and there are some really good deals out there.  I just missed a great deal on a 222 Sandpiper for $3000.  I've also got my eye on another one a bit more expensive, but it would be a five hour drive to get it  :cry:  I guess I need to make up my mind on whether I want a center console, a dually, or a cuddy.  Decisions, decisions.  Good thing is, every model has those beautiful lines.

August 28, 2007, 08:03:01 PM
Reply #10

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »
Quote from: "Bygracealone"
I guess I need to make up my mind on whether I want a center console, a dually, or a cuddy.

You just have to figure out what you want to do with the boat.  If you want to weekend or overnight, then you'll have to have a Cuddy. The other boat types are fine for just about everything except weekending.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 28, 2007, 09:31:28 PM
Reply #11

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »
Rick, you're right on the money.  I had a good conversation tonight with Kamikaze and he's steered me straight.  I want a fishing boat, period.  Therefore, I'm gonna keep with looking for center consoles.  Not that the other boats don't make good fishing boats, but I want something geared specifically for one thing and one thing only--fishing  :D

I spoke with the guy tonight about the 200 Osprey and I get the impression that there may be an issue with the transom.  If I read him correctly, he hinted to that effect when he said that transom work isn't the end of the world or words to that end.  However, he did say that there was no flex in the transom.  

I'm going away for the weekend and was planning to go and take a look at it tomorrow, but my schedule won't permit it  :cry:   The boat is two and a half hours away...  By the way, the boat is kept in a slip and it has bottom paint.  I guess there's no way to see the condition of the bottom until she's pulled out of the water...  

I also got the impression that the boat probably doesn't look as nice as it does in the pics that are nearly a year old now.  

Anyway, he has a number of people coming to look at it this weekend.  He did say that he saw an increase in interest this week.  Could it be others from the forum are interested  :roll:   He's in town this weekend and can give sea trials.  I think the transom needs to be looked at closely, which can be a little difficult to do with the boat in the water.

Anyway, if the boat is still around next week I'll go out to see it.  I don't want to rush into anything.  

I've got $5000 to spend on a center console.  If you guys have any suggestions, please pass them along.  I'm not opposed to an older boat so long as it's strong as an ox and dependable.  

Thanks for the advice and the opportunity to air out my thoughts...  

Steve

August 29, 2007, 05:49:09 AM
Reply #12

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 05:49:09 AM »
I started to write about the center console being a pure fishing boat (I've owned one now for 19 years) but started thinking about what I'd used my CC for over the years before I bought the Explorer and deleted the post.  True, the center console was designed for fishing but if that is all you have, you can make it do just about anything - fishing, skiing/water sports, cruising, even camping - though probably not on the boat itself (at least not a 170) - even though on a 250 CCP and a few bean bags....

Definitely depends on how much comfort you want.  A center console is designed to have full walk-around access for fishing and not much else, everything being clustered in the center of the boat.  A Dual console or Cuddy type gives you a whole different layout with more comfort built in to the design.  I can't make up my mind, that's why I own both I guess  :roll:
Good luck on your decision - there are plenty of boats out there to choose from.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal