You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Extra Transom Support, Overkill or Not?  (Read 1038 times)

March 13, 2007, 04:20:55 PM
Read 1038 times

rsh19904

• Information Offline
Extra Transom Support, Overkill or Not?
« on: March 13, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »
Well, I've been thinking about doing this for a while ever since I saw it on my bass boat and wonder if it would be overkill.

My bass boat has a thick metal bracket across the transom about 1 in. thick, 4in. high and about 18" long where the top two motor mount bolts come through the transom.  Its amazingly strong and doesn't even think about budging.

My question is what if I was to do this with the transom of my bay boat does anyone see a problem with say a more size appropriate piece or maybe even a plate to even out the load, but on the inside of the transom?  The boat is an 87 and no transom movement yet  :roll: but I like to be safer than sorry and the motor is a 200hp Johnson so its not light but I say why chance it but   :roll:   Any suggestions.??
Its called fishing not catching for a reason.  Usually operator error

March 13, 2007, 05:46:21 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 05:46:21 PM »
I suppose it might help.  I have seen it on quite a few boats.  I have even seen small ones on new boats.  Key West boats to be specific.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

March 13, 2007, 05:47:24 PM
Reply #2

aqua70

• Information Offline
transome
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 05:47:24 PM »
Too much support may not be the best thing. Believe it or not you need some flexibility/give to absorb stress. My buddys Grady, he put overkill on transome and it eventually pulled the entire transome from the stringers underneath as well as cracking the fiberglass on the floor.
Just my 2 cents!

March 16, 2007, 10:02:04 AM
Reply #3

Shine

• Information Offline
    • http://www.gulfstreamcoposites.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
On an outboard boat the pushing force of the engine is transmitted to the rest of the hull in certain way (however its designed) - change the way that force is transmitted could be putting too much pressure in an area that was not designed to take it.

You ABSOLUTELY do not want movement.  Flexing/movement = fatigue

March 16, 2007, 01:21:15 PM
Reply #4

rsh19904

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:21:15 PM »
Well have heard mostly good things about this mainly that spreading out the weight and load evenly over the transom instead of just the points where the bolts and washers are..makes me wonder what was wrong with a transom to just come apart like stated in the previous post :?:  

was told to get a piece of 2x3x 1/4" angle alum. and put over top of the transom but I was thinking more of a single piece across the inside but have it spread out across the whole inner transom area that way..
Its called fishing not catching for a reason.  Usually operator error

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal