Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > 200 CCP Rebuilds

'79 200cc Rebuild

(1/6) > >>

NewGuy55:
Hello all, new member & first post here on the forum. Currently living in Tampa, Florida. I've become a fan of the Aquasport brand for a while & decided to pull the trigger on a "project" boat about 2 months ago. I ended up purchasing a '79 Aquasport 200cc. It was powered by a Johnson 200 that seemed a little shabby & sure enough on the day of purchase the previous owner couldn't get it started. I instead purchased from another seller a '93 Yamaha 200hp 2-Stroke for the repower that sounded great, shifted smooth & had good compression, 115-120 in all cylinders.

The boat was in fair condition, knew it would require some work but as I dug into things a bit I realized it needed more than I had planned for. Not a big deal, I wanted a project & have no timetable as to when I want this finished, I just want it done right. Not only will I have satisfaction of doing the majority of the work to bring this bad boy back to life myself, but with it being my first boat - I find a lot of comfort knowing that I'll know everything about this boat from the ground up if some problems should arise, & I'm certain they will.

So, as it stands right now I've cut out the whole floor & plan to lay a new one with some marine ply. I've already had a new aluminum tank fabricated (70-75 Gall) as the one in the floor was pitted & not in usable condition. Stringers are in good shape structurally, foam in them is dry but there was some delamination in sections that I've already addressed.

At the moment, I'm in the process of removing the rotted coring of the transom (working from the inside). I'm hoping that by getting the majority of that dirty work done on my own, I could get a fair price from a shop for a transom rebuild. I'm liking the idea of going coosa for that & willing to pay the extra on materials to do so. I've searched this forum along with others & have been in contact with shops on estimates but I'm still open to hearing about others if anyone has recommendations.

I'm back to work & limited on time to work on taking out the rotted coring of the transom. I'll probably be chipping away at it for a little while before I get it into a shop for a rebuild but aside from that I'm kind of at a standstill - can't lay the deck until the transom is done.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself on the board, fill you guys in on the project & look forward to learning even more than I already have from you guys for my build.

dbiscayne:
nice little boat for a project. Before you get too far along with the demo figure out a way to measure exactly where the top of the transom is so that when you rebuild you know it's at the right height.
When I tore out my transom I also left the outer skin intact. Lots of cuts with a circular saw just be careful with blade depth, also used a sawzall near the edges. By making lots of cuts and creating workable squares that I could pry out with a crowbar most of the wood came out pretty quick.  Then get nasty with a grinder.
You'll also have to remove several inches of the stringers where they butt up to the transom, again the sawzall makes quick work of this. My original wood cored transom was glassed AFTER the stringers were placed in the hull, so the foam in the stringers ends up against raw wood thats where most of my rot was.
If you can handle some glass work I'd add fillets to all the corners of the inner transom then glass from the transom to the hull sides & bottom - before you hand over the boat for someone else to do the main transom work.
When done with the transom it's pretty easy to form & glass the replacement section of stringers.
Does yours have boxed stringers along the chines in addition to the two main stringers? Just curious if they still did this in '79.

NewGuy55:
dbiscayne - I appreciate the tips & can report back that that has been the plan as I've been working through gutting this transom. I've used a combination of a circular saw, an angle grinder with a thin cutting disc & a good ol' weighted hammer/ chisel. I've already cut back the stringers & did so with a sawzall type of tool (reciprocating blade).I made some good progress this past week & I'm probably about 40% through the task.

The plan is to have the transom closed off entirely &  put a jack plate or outboard motor bracket. Nonetheless I know that the top portion of this original design is exactly 25" from the bottom. Also, can report that there are no stringers along the chines, just the 2 long ones that run stern to bow.

For whatever reason I'm struggling to figure out how to add pictures here but will work on figuring that out.

mshugg:
Is it a CCP!  I’m guessing because it’s a 79 and you’re calling it a 20 that it is, because the Osprey was badged as a 196 in those days.  I rebuilt a 200CCP With Armstrong bracket that hit the water a year ago.  It’s performing great with a Merc four stroke 150.  Good luck on your rebuild.  Gotta get so me pictures up.

NewGuy55:
mshugg - Yes, its a ccp - 20 feet, 2 inches I believe is what it says on the title.

Any tricks on adding pictures? Every time it says the file is too large :16:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version