Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Transom mount transducer -but want thru hull  (Read 924 times)

March 14, 2012, 09:15:39 PM
Read 924 times

HIFLUTIN

• Information Offline
Transom mount transducer -but want thru hull
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
Gettin ready to put a mid range fish finder on my 170
Garmin or Lowrance.
Most all come with Transom mount transducers
I prefer a thru hull (keep the boat in the water for an extended period of time)
What are my options?
Can I epoxy a transom mount for a thru hull?
Or will the factory exchange/trade in ?

March 14, 2012, 09:30:43 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Transom mount transducer -but want thru hull
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »
Quote from: "HIFLUTIN"
Gettin ready to put a mid range fish finder on my 170
Garmin or Lowrance.
Most all come with Transom mount transducers
I prefer a thru hull (keep the boat in the water for an extended period of time)
What are my options?
Can I epoxy a transom mount for a thru hull?
Or will the factory exchange/trade in ?

Yes, Airmar even gives instructions on how to mount a transom mount in the hull as a shoot-thru...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 14, 2012, 10:30:32 PM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:32 PM »
You lose temp in shoot-thru, but it's pretty easy to install.  Be careful about location - you need a flat area on the hull that stays wetted or you need to get an angled transducer.  Don't use 5200 - use epoxy to get a good bond to the hull.  Try out your location first with clay and water or gel.  Once you've got a good spot, clean it, sand it, and epoxy that thang down!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

March 15, 2012, 09:50:37 AM
Reply #3

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
Why not just mount on the transom?  I keep my boat in the water all season as well. As long as you throw on some bottom paint (but avoid temp sensor), and seal the screw holes properly, I don't see any detriment to mounting it here.
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

March 15, 2012, 04:33:25 PM
Reply #4

HIFLUTIN

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
Quote from: "CTsalt12"
Why not just mount on the transom?  I keep my boat in the water all season as well. As long as you throw on some bottom paint (but avoid temp sensor), and seal the screw holes properly, I don't see any detriment to mounting it here.

Iam a low maint type
Have delt with transducers before & even with bottom paint etc. them little critters can find ever nook & cranny to get in making a pain in the _ss to clean.

March 15, 2012, 10:40:08 PM
Reply #5

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:40:08 PM »
Where I fish a transom mount will get knocked off sooner or later.  I have never had a transom mount that would work at all speeds and attitudes.  My shoot-thru always works.  It's a common Airmar P-66 transom mount sitting in a little well full of water in the bilge.  (It never runs out of water because my livewell plumbing leaks a little and keeps it wet.   :wink: )

As far as temperature readings they may not change quite as fast but they still run pretty close to an external temp sensor but I probably only have about a half-pint of water around the xducer.  it only needs enough water to chase the air out from between the xducer and the hull.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

March 16, 2012, 05:36:08 AM
Reply #6

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:08 AM »
Nothing worse than spray or grass hung on a transom mount transducer and if you operate your boat in skinny water you will end up breaking it off sooner or later. Garmin makes a thru hull that sits in a oil filled mount inside the hull, even in reverse it rarely loses the bottom signal. As far as water temperature goes a regular transom mount mounted inside the hull will give you hull temperature. I have a lazer pointer I use for surface temperature.
Capt Matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal