You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 75 19'6" rebuild  (Read 5022 times)

March 08, 2012, 08:28:19 PM
Reply #30

squirtis

• Information Offline
Re: 75 19'6" rebuild
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:19 PM »
dburr and GW204

thanks very much for your input. It is a great help and I do have concrete area so the casters will be a big plus and a great idea.

Have to put some thought into cost etc on which route I will take.

Thanks again!!

March 09, 2012, 02:01:35 PM
Reply #31

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
You are welcome! Just watch out moving and tilting, these engines are really top heavy and things can get very exciting very quickly! :D
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

March 19, 2012, 09:39:41 PM
Reply #32

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 09:39:41 PM »

Finally got moved and found the new girl a nice shady, leaf free, rain free parking spot :D

Hope to get started on taking the lights, rail, console, etc. out in the next week!

March 25, 2012, 08:50:58 PM
Reply #33

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 08:50:58 PM »
Got everything off the console and all wiring disconnected including the throttle assembly. All I have left is the steering column. I removed the cap with a tiny alan wrench, then after a little work got the nut off...there was a pool of water inside the steering housing. Once the nut was off it looked pretty clean inside. Now I have to get the "bearing looking" fitting off to remove the steering wheel and get to the screws holding the housing in.

Do I need a puller or something to get this out?

Once I get this off then I only have to remove the railing on the console before I can begin sanding and bondo/resin work to bring the console back to origional shape.

Thanks for the help guys!

stoked to finally get started on something

March 25, 2012, 08:53:56 PM
Reply #34

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »

March 25, 2012, 09:09:08 PM
Reply #35

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 09:09:08 PM »
Heres a couple shots of the console and the thre million holes it's history came with...as soon as I removed the two starboard pieces it was obviously full of history :lol:

I am thinking of cutting out the whole piece in the center where the steering column and the starboard used to be an putting a brand new piece in rather than patching all of those holes? thoughts?

Also, I have done some resin work on surboards over the years but never on a boat. I could use some input on the proper materials to use...I will start with the small holes and get comfortable in the bigger stuff as I go. Do you use bondo? or just a marine resin? Also what is the best primer to spray can on after it's complete or during the process. It may be a while before I get it painted and want to protect it best I can.

Thanks

Curtis

March 25, 2012, 09:14:54 PM
Reply #36

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
here ya go:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8534

Thanks gran398....can't believe I hadn't thought it through..been a while since I removed a wheel...1971 VW transporter van...1991 was the year... :mrgreen:

March 25, 2012, 09:16:11 PM
Reply #37

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »
Quote from: "squirtis"
Heres a couple shots of the console and the thre million holes it's history came with...as soon as I removed the two starboard pieces it was obviously full of history :lol:

I am thinking of cutting out the whole piece in the center where the steering column and the starboard used to be an putting a brand new piece in rather than patching all of those holes? thoughts?

Also, I have done some resin work on surboards over the years but never on a boat. I could use some input on the proper materials to use...I will start with the small holes and get comfortable in the bigger stuff as I go. Do you use bondo? or just a marine resin? Also what is the best primer to spray can on after it's complete or during the process. It may be a while before I get it painted and want to protect it best I can.

Thanks

Curtis

Oh Great...finally get the photos to the right download size and now they are upside down..LOL

March 30, 2012, 06:14:42 PM
Reply #38

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »
So I had an hour and a half of free time this afternoon and finally got to get the console out and the fuel tank cover off. Tank has 10/74 as a manufacturing date. Built in Chicago Ill for a company in West Palm Beach that tested and delivered to Aquasport. That will definately go by by:)

So the first question I have is the two hoses coming off the forward starboard side of the tank. Is one a filler and the other a delivery to the engine?

I could use some advice to remove the tank. Can I remove the lines from the tank and disconnect the sending unit to remove? I knocked on the tank and it sound hollow with an echo so I am guessing it does not have much fuel in it. I was thinking of removing the hoses and just stuffing the ends with some rags until I get the floor up so I can replace with new.

Another shot of the tank

Could this wood brace be origional? I don't think so?

A photo of the bands holding the tank in place

This should be fun..LOL..there was an updated Blue Sea Systems wiring board but It doesn't look to me like it's a new run...I am going to replace it all

There were so many holes behind the starboard on the console that I decided to use a jigsaw and cut out the entire front side in order to replace more efficiently without trying to cover every single hole.

There was also a wood board semi-glassed into the mid height center of the console that I cut out...it was't glassed except for the edges...rotten

These are in good shape 3 of 4 anyway. going to give them to the guy that asked about them earlier in the thread...not going to put any more wood in.

next step hopefully tomorrow is to remove the tank and then clean up good prior to removal of the floor.

Best place to pick up marine grade plywood for the console? And any suggestions on what type of glass/cloth to use in the repair of the console. Seems like I have seen bondo used sometimes as well? I have only fixed surfboards with resin...

Thanks guys

Curtis

March 30, 2012, 09:48:31 PM
Reply #39

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
So the first question I have is the two hoses coming off the forward starboard side of the tank. Is one a filler and the other a delivery to the engine?

No, it is the vent hose. Your pickup hose (delivery to motor) is seen in one of your long shot photos of the tank. It appears to be on the starboard side toward the back of the tank. It looks like the fuel line to the motor rests in a notch cut into that board you were questioning on top of the tank.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 31, 2012, 08:50:56 PM
Reply #40

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"

No, it is the vent hose. Your pickup hose (delivery to motor) is seen in one of your long shot photos of the tank. It appears to be on the starboard side toward the back of the tank. It looks like the fuel line to the motor rests in a notch cut into that board you were questioning on top of the tank.

got it, thanks Capt Bob.

April 08, 2013, 06:45:44 PM
Reply #41

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »
So, got the bow rail off, the nav lights and vents from the bow wtc..

Also got the fuel tank out finally today!! :D

Started making the initial cuts in the floor. Just set the skillsaw at about an inch to barely go thru. Made an outline and split into two pieces.

When I walk around on the deck, some parts are obviously seperated, but on top ofthe stringers obviously it is still solid as well as up near the step up at the bow?

Can someone help me with the search feature to find some photos of the floor coming up in a 19'6 so I don't make it more of a mess than it already will be...I don't want to just start ripping stuff out the wrong way?

I will post some more pics tomorrow or the next...Lots of dry reddish colored wood flying everywhere when I cut the initial outline...

April 08, 2013, 08:26:30 PM
Reply #42

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
Quote from: squirtis
Can someone help me with the search feature to find some photos of the floor coming up in a 19'6 so I don't make it more of a mess than it already will be...I don't want to just start ripping stuff out the wrong way?.

Some pics to start.
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=8987.0
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

April 09, 2013, 11:43:39 AM
Reply #43

squirtis

• Information Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 11:43:39 AM »
Thanks Capt Bob..

To remove the rubrail I need to pull the rope out of the center to get to the screws correct? They have bolts on the inside..that should make it as tideous as possible :D

I also noticed that previous rebuilds on here show guys using a grinder with a cutting blade to cut the inside at the floor seam to remove the cap? Is that correct?

April 09, 2013, 12:47:55 PM
Reply #44

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
Thanks Capt Bob..

To remove the rubrail I need to pull the rope out of the center to get to the screws correct? They have bolts on the inside..that should make it as tideous as possible :D

I also noticed that previous rebuilds on here show guys using a grinder with a cutting blade to cut the inside at the floor seam to remove the cap? Is that correct?

Yes, remove the insert (rope or whatever) and you'll find the attaching fasteners underneath. Bolts? more like sheet metal screws but you never know until you look.

Cutting tool? Whatever you have, can rent or feel like buying. As long as you're comfortable with a cutting tool, then use it. I've seen everything from a skill saw, jig saw, saws all, hand saw or an ax. No "right tool" if you're handy with it. Remember what you're trying to do and use what works best for you. Skill saw lets you control the depth of cut but the grinder lets you get closer to where you may want your finished cut.

Good luck and be careful. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal