Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1 projetc almost done - VHF install  (Read 782 times)

January 22, 2011, 07:03:51 PM
Read 782 times

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
1 projetc almost done - VHF install
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:03:51 PM »
Got 90% finished on the new ICOM VHF install today, radio works great, did a check and got a "loud and clear" from 10 miles away, and that was sitting at my house buried in powerlines and trees.  Just have to make the connections to the Garmin GPS tomorrow, NMEA in/out so my position data and others will be accessible.  And going to figure out how to register my MMSI number etc... this is alll new stuff to me, I think this radio is way smarter than I am... now beer. :salut:
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

January 22, 2011, 07:17:50 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: 1 projetc almost done
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »
Marc,
I'm sure JJ will chime in, but you only have one chance to register your MMSI ID, get it right!

You can also contact the coasties and tell them you are going to test your DSC, they should allow it...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

January 22, 2011, 07:26:26 PM
Reply #2

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
Thanks Bob,
Just registered for my MMSI# , piece of cake...
Marc

January 22, 2011, 09:20:22 PM
Reply #3

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:20:22 PM »
Putting the MMSI in the radio is where you can mess up.  I think my ICOM manual said it could be changed once.  After that you have to send it to the factory to have the two numbers erased.

If you have questions on the wiring give me a yell.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

January 22, 2011, 09:34:54 PM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
You can also contact the coasties and tell them you are going to test your DSC, they should allow it...

Actually you are not supposed to do a "live" test.  Causes too much confusion.  When you set off the DSC it not only alerts the CG but sets off an alarm on every DSC radio in range.

Here are a couple of ways to test the DSC function.

Rescue Radio Rolls Out
BoatUS Magazine

September 2009 Update:

DSC Radio Automatic Test Feature Debuts

Since the lifesaving capabilities of VHF-Digital Selective Calling (DSC) marine radios have become more widely known,boaters with these radios have frequently asked how to place a “test” call — without setting off a false alarm or, worse, an unnecessaryrescue response from the U.S. Coast Guard.

Now that conundrum has been solved as many of the newer DSC radios have a “Test Call” feature that can provide automatic verification that the radio’s DSC hailing and communication functionsare operating. However, for the test call function to work, you also have to be boating in an area served by Rescue 21, the Coast Guard’s improved communications system that now covers about 28,000 miles of U.S. coastline. You also must register for your own Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number and encode it into your radio (see http://www.BoatUS.com/mmsi).

By entering the nationwide Coast Guard MMSI number,003669999, into your radio’s calling memory and selecting the “Test Call” option from the radio’s list of individual DSC calls, you can then press the “Call” or “Enter” key. Your radio will silently hail the Coast Guard with a digital signal on Channel 70. If everything is working properly, your radio will almost immediately receive the Coast Guard’s acknowledgement of your call, providing assurance that both your radio and the Rescue 21 system are operating properly.

The proper operation of all DSC radios, regardless of whether they’re operated in an area covered by Rescue 21, can be verified by hailing a friend’s boat or the local TowBoatU.S. service provider in your area using their MMSI. This summer, BoatU.S. and its towers launched a service of DSC radio checks for coastal boaters from Mobile, Alabama, to Sandy Hook, New Jersey. Their fleetnumber is 0-338-04000 and any TowBoatU.S. within radio rangecan verify that your VHF-DSC signal is working. (The service will be expanded as more TowBoatU.S. operators get DSC radios.)

No matter where you boat, in an emergency your DSC mayday signal will be received by every DSC-capable radio in rangeand will sound a distinctive audio alarm, regardless of the radio’s volume control. Connecting the radio to a GPS or Loran can be critically important as everyone receiving your call for assistance will know your precise location and may be able to assist long before the Coast Guard.

“The safety and convenience provided by the combination of VHF-DSC radios and the Rescue 21 system are, in a word, ‘awesome,’” says BoatU.S. Foundation President Ruth Wood. “Now it’s up to the boating community to make the best possible use of DSC, for both routine communication and emergency alerts.”

http://www.boatus.com/gov/rescue21_update0906.asp
Niccolo Machiavelli

January 23, 2011, 06:44:31 PM
Reply #5

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 06:44:31 PM »
well I finished getting al the NMEA connections together, the radio was displaying the lat/long from the GPS everything was looking good, then all of a sudden it quit displaying the GPS icon, no position, no time data, I re-did the connections, even soldered them together, nothing, updated my Garmin GPS software, switched my NMEA serial ports from my ray marine fishfinder, and the fishfinder is receiving NMEA Data on both serial ports, but the ICOM will not see the GPS, when my neighbor hailed me on the DSC, the garmin popped up with incoming DSC information, his MMSI number, but no position data.  I'm thinking the ICOM has a problem?? Going to look at the ICOM website, and probably contact West Marine tomorrow?? I'm at a loss??
Marc

January 23, 2011, 08:44:56 PM
Reply #6

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
Since you had it working, then it quit, I don't have a clue.  Check the connections again. ;)
Check the Garmin setup and make sure that port is set to NMEA and not Garmin or any other communications protocol.  If the Garmin has two communication ports like some do, then disable the other port in setup.
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal