You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: GPS/ fishfinder combo units  (Read 1066 times)

November 04, 2009, 04:06:28 PM
Read 1066 times

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
GPS/ fishfinder combo units
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »
I'm considering purchasing a GPS fish finder combo unit for my boat.  I was wondering what recommendations or experience anyone has had with these units.  I'm not looking for anything super fancy, just something to show where I am and where the bottom is.  I have looked at Humminbird 383 or 587, Garmin 440s, and Lowrance M68c units.  My budget is $400-500.  Worst Marine has the Garmin 440s for $449.00 plus $69.00 for the transducer which is a tad above my budget.  Any suggestions on units and places to buy them would be appreciated.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

November 04, 2009, 06:28:11 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: GPS/ fishfinder combo units
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »
The 587Ci is a nice unit - you can get one for $428 with all accessories and free delivery from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_14? ... inbird+587  

I know it's above your price point, but look around a bit for a 797C with side imaging.  It's been replaced by the 798C, and some places are closing out the 797C at a good price - maybe in your price range.  If you've seen the side-image sonar, you know why I recommend it...  I would have one on my boat if I didn't already have 2 nice color depth/GPS units...  :roll:   Oh well, maybe wifey is looking for a Christmas idea...   :cheers:  

Hope this helps - see ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

November 04, 2009, 08:26:57 PM
Reply #2

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »
The term GPS/fishfinder is a little misleading.  My neighbor bought exactly that (hummingbird) and the GPS part was a waste of time - had a single line for the shore and that was it - no way to tell exactly where you were at and how to get to the next place.  It did have a "bread trail" for it's saving grace.
Things have changed a little since then but make sure you know what you're asking for - unless you fish the same lake every time, a chartplotter/fishfinder is what you really need.  They have built in maps with depth markings - just like looking at a chart. They're around your price point or less, definitely can be 4+ times it too.  I watched for the discontinued models and got one $400 off MSRP - still does WAY more than I need.
I get an email solicitation from one of the marine retailers (which I read and deleted - sorry) and they had a Standard Horizon FF/Chartplotter combo for <$400. Google that and see what you come up with.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 07, 2009, 11:27:32 AM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »
I ended up getting the Garmin 440s chart plotter/sonar.  It was a tad above what I wanted to spend but the extra $100-150 really bought a unit with much more capabilities.  It has the satellite based maps with coastal marine charts and can use the blue chart cards.  Now I just have to install it!  Too bad we have this weather in the gulf cause I'm dying to get out on my boat!

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

November 07, 2009, 12:15:57 PM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »
I have the 440 chart plotter without the sonar.
I was a tad disappointed with the base charts (up here anyway) so I purchased the G2 chip. Expensive and not too reliable in Swedish fjords :roll:

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet though. I have my fingers crossed. If it's like my old 180, the chip makes all the difference especially since it cost more than the unit itself.
I'm curious how well the sounder works. With a 4" screen, that's a lot to fit if you split screen it but then again my eyes have trouble with our 40" tv  :cyclops:

http://www8.garmin.com/bluechartrecall/

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

November 09, 2009, 03:15:31 PM
Reply #5

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »
Bob,

The base map for Tampa Bay area seems pretty good.  Much better than some of the other units I have looked at in this price range.  I hooked up the unit to a power supply at home and spent the last two nights playing with it.  I started putting in way points of the artificial reefs in the area only to find they were already on the base map.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Also the map as tides and current info built in.  Just higlight it and the unit gives you the predicted high tides/current.  Neat.

The blue vision G2 maps cards are kinda spendy at $299, however they add some interesting features along with bottom contours to the unit.  I guess I can consider that an upgrade to the unit I can decide on once I use the unit on the boat.

BTW You might want to look into updating your units firmware.  I updated my 440s firmware using this https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downl ... 8&pID=8055 download from the Garmin website.  Just download the latest version for your unit.  It will extract itself to a blank SD card.  Then just plug the card into the unit.  It recognizes the card as an update and self installs.  Takes less then five minutes.

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

November 09, 2009, 06:31:54 PM
Reply #6

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
Bob,

The base map for Tampa Bay area seems pretty good.  Much better than some of the other units I have looked at in this price range.  I hooked up the unit to a power supply at home and spent the last two nights playing with it.  I started putting in way points of the artificial reefs in the area only to find they were already on the base map.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Also the map as tides and current info built in.  Just higlight it and the unit gives you the predicted high tides/current.  Neat.

The blue vision G2 maps cards are kinda spendy at $299, however they add some interesting features along with bottom contours to the unit.  I guess I can consider that an upgrade to the unit I can decide on once I use the unit on the boat.

BTW You might want to look into updating your units firmware.  I updated my 440s firmware using this https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downl ... 8&pID=8055 download from the Garmin website.  Just download the latest version for your unit.  It will extract itself to a blank SD card.  Then just plug the card into the unit.  It recognizes the card as an update and self installs.  Takes less then five minutes.

That's encouraging.
I haven't had a lot of seat time with mine and I just transferred over to my WAC. I went overboard and popped for the large map in hopes that it covers the area I sometimes still visit in the Keys.

I get a little nervous updating Garmin stuff (think Zumo) that's working good but I'll give it a try.
Thanks.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

November 09, 2009, 07:40:28 PM
Reply #7

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
When I bought my Garmin (and this is an older one now) initally I bought the charts on the storage device.  Then I returned that and bought the Blue charts CD and licensne so I could make my own.
When I bought the 230 I bought a "second station" from Garmin which included the bracket, transducer and power cables and I also bought another gps antenna.  Now I just carry it in whichever boat I'm out in at the time.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal