Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Need Help Rewiring Nav Light Switch  (Read 828 times)

August 25, 2008, 10:09:21 AM
Read 828 times

drsethsr

• Information Offline
Need Help Rewiring Nav Light Switch
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »
Hi,

The previous owners had done a "creative" job wiring the Navigation lights, so that in either position of the switch, everything comes on.  I bought a new DPDT switch, but I have no idea how to properly wire it so that in the anchor position, only that light comes on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Seth Anderson
1991 AS Osprey 200
140 DT140 Suzuki

August 25, 2008, 01:19:44 PM
Reply #1

compcrasher86

• Information Offline
I had the same problem with mine!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
Hi Dr. Seth, I had the same problem with mine!

A douple pole double throw switch essentially controls two different circuits with one switch. Each "circuit" has three terminals on the switch so the switch should have six terminals in total. The three terminals for each circuit should be "source" "position 1" and "position 2" When the switch is flicked one way, source is connected to position 1. When it is in the middle, source is not connected to anything. When the switch is flicked the other way, source is connected to position 2.

So what I did is connect a wire between the fuse for my running lights to the source terminal of one of the circuits, and then I bridged (connected) the two source terminals to each other. Then for position one, I connected the anchor light wire to one of the "position 1" terminals. Then for position two, I connected the anchor light again to one of the "position 2" terminals and the navigation lights to the other "position 2" terminal. It is very important that the anchor and navigation lights do not share a terminal or else everything will come on in either position of the switch. I will post a diagram in a second or two

Update: Heres something I made up in Visio to help you out:

note: 12v source can be battery or terminal block. I'm sorry I wasnt quite clear in my diagram... do not connect the negative wires from the lights to 12v+, connect them to a ground (a.k.a. negative terminal on battery)
Stock 1973 222 Open Fisherman
\'87 Evinrude 140hp V4 (with VRO)
"Floor it"

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/C ... mview=grid

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal