Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Cabin Ceiling  (Read 151 times)

August 17, 2022, 09:32:50 PM
Read 151 times

WakoNako

• Information Offline
Cabin Ceiling
« on: August 17, 2022, 09:32:50 PM »
I need to reinforce my cabin ceiling.
Currently its fiberglass with some wooden ribs going across. It is strong enough, with the ribs, to stand on but it flexes more than I am comfortable with.

I know I need to scrape/sand/grind all the old carpet adhesive off before doing anything. But what would be the best method to add strength. With it being overhead, in a small cuddy cabin i'd rather not be messing with wet cloth, and would like to preferably laminate a composite or plywood to the ceiling, and brace off the existing wooden ribs.

In Central Florida (polk county area) is there anywhere that sells fiberglass materials and composite boards?

From what I've seen, if I can get the composite honeycomb material, I should be able to bond that to the ceiling with a epoxy resin, but I don't know where I can get it without paying crazy shipping, or which epoxy resin I should be using

This is the best image I have of the ceiling.

My plan for the walls was to glue 3/4" styrofoam insulation like we use in construction to the fiberglass, then glue speaker material over it. That wouldn't add strength to teh roof though.
1977 Aquasport Family Fisher 222
2016 Evinrude 115hp Etec

August 17, 2022, 11:46:52 PM
Reply #1

Fishhead

• Information Offline
Re: Cabin Ceiling
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 11:46:52 PM »
Wako, I don’t think Aquasport when they built these figured anyone would be walking on the deck. Sliding the hatch forward you can pretty much get to the bow except hooking trailer winch to bow eye. 1/2 or 3/4” ply may be best to beef up overhead. Thickened epoxy troweled to the glass stick the ply to it put some screws through the glass and suck the wood up to it. Seal underside of ply with resin or leave it  alone and spray contact adhesive and cover with whatever. Will last many years if deck is sealed properly.
19-6 family fisherman
24 osprey pilothouse
22-2 family fisherman

August 18, 2022, 06:55:08 AM
Reply #2

WakoNako

• Information Offline
Re: Cabin Ceiling
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 06:55:08 AM »
Wako, I don’t think Aquasport when they built these figured anyone would be walking on the deck. Sliding the hatch forward you can pretty much get to the bow except hooking trailer winch to bow eye. 1/2 or 3/4” ply may be best to beef up overhead. Thickened epoxy troweled to the glass stick the ply to it put some screws through the glass and suck the wood up to it. Seal underside of ply with resin or leave it  alone and spray contact adhesive and cover with whatever. Will last many years if deck is sealed properly.

Im not sure it was designed for people to be on either, but its much more convenient to throw anchor while on top of the roof, the wife loves laying up there with a cushion against the windshield and the kids LOVE jumping off the front when we back into the sandbar.

My hatch is also currently a POS that slips out of the rails so reconfiguring/rebuilding that is also on my to-do list
1977 Aquasport Family Fisher 222
2016 Evinrude 115hp Etec

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal