You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Flatback 22-2 Rebuilds

1970 222 flatback rebuild

(1/1)

built2spillwth:
I got a 1970 222 that I’m trying to rebuild. I’m going to do away with the casting platform and just have the front end wide open. My big issues I’m having right now is the below deck fuel tank. Originally it was above the deck so I cut out my middle stringer and plan on putting bulk heads to build a cradle for the tank. I have a general idea of what I’m trying to do but I’m a younger guy with not the most boat building experience so I’m looking for guidance from the older generation. So here’s my question.. I’m getting a custom tank built - what do y’all suggest on where to put my fill line.tanks gonna be roughly 20”x72”x8.

RickK:
Looks like someone closed in the transom already. That'll save you some time if it's done correctly.
If you want to post a pic when you talk about your boat, which you should, follow the instructions here http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=12725.0  - don't attach them - you are limited by file size. Uploading them into your "member gallery" is better for viewing.
Spend a few minutes to absorb the instructions. It's really easy. Remember if using a phone to take pics, to hold the phone horizontal with the lens to the left.

Ulysses485:
Hello and welcome to the site. There is a lot of information in the flatback 222 builds on these so reading through some of them will help get a general idea of how they were don’t. Some that come to mind are Capt Matt and Aswaff400. The general practice of the 222 flatback (66-71) and what became the modified v (12 degree transoms….72ish to about 1988) are similar so I would also look at those builds. In 1972 fuel tanks were (as I understand it) allowable below deck and builders designed accordingly. Most typically run rigging chases through the stringers in the foam filled sections of the stringers. Fuel fill is typically done at the side gunnel caps factory with the line running through a notch out on tops of stringers and chase build out molded in the liner.  Boxes can be built to accommodate this if the liner is removed during the rebuild (the liner does make fairing a little easier because underneath is the underside of hullside which is unfinished.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version