You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Fiberglass and Materials Corner

Hole Saw

(1/2) > >>

boatnamesue:
Your thoughts on which type of these hole saws are best for cutting large diameter holes in fiberglass?

mshugg:
Either the bi metal hole saw  at the top or the carbide saw at the bottom will work well.  If you’re only cutting a few holes, the bi metal hole saw works and costs much less than the carbide one. 

The middle one looks like  Forstner bit. In large sizes it will make a lot of dust and be tougher on you and your drill.

fitz73222:
Which ever one you use, always use painters tape over the area you intend to hole to keep from having the gelcoat chip out around the diameter.

RickK:
What is considered large?  If you are looking to make a 6" hole, use a Sterling blade in a good jig saw and insert that in a 3/8" hole you drilled inside the line.
If you're drilling 3" or less, just be ready for the fiberglass to dull out whatever you use. If you're drilling one  1" hole - buy cheap, more than one or 2" or more buy more expensive.

Tampa Bay Mike:
How big of a hole and how many are you drilling? I bought a cheapie set from harbor freight and they did the job but it dulled them out quick. But for the $13 I think I spent on them I didn't care. My neighbor used to be a tool distributor and had some really nice ones that cut great and stayed sharper longer but they were $$.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version