You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Fiberglass and Materials Corner

Instructions and Materials For Filling Deck Hole

(1/2) > >>

boatnamesue:
1976 170

Replacing my bow mounted trolling motor w/new model.  It's possible the hole configuration of my current mount will not align with the new mount.  Just in case it doesn't, or it does but I want/need to reposition the new mount, I'd like one of y'all builders to detail the appropriate method for filling holes. 

I believe the through holes (4) are 1/4" or 3/8" diameter.  Recommended materials and method of use would be great.  Many thanks. 

theFunsmith:

I have learned a whole lot from Andy at Boatworks Today. This video gave me guidance to fill quite a few holes in my boat. Because the holes that you have will be around mounting holes for the new motor, and therefore will bear some load, I think it is good to err on the side of caution and fill as strongly as possible. Whether or not you use this method, this is just good information to have.

boatnamesue:
I'll take a look, thanks!

Mwar410:
 Drilled holes are a little different from bullet holes, there's not typically much de lamination. That would be quite a repair for a few drilled holes.

I always open the hole up with a countersink
wet out with whatever resin I'm using, poly or epoxy
then pack with thickened resin , usually thick enough I don't have to back it with tape. Keeping it small enough not to damage too much non skid while sanding
Seal it with paint or gel coat to match.

boatnamesue:
Haven't been able to get over to boat with this storm baring down on us FL folk.  Need to see if the new motor mounting plate holes line up with the old.  I can confirm the 4 holes are 2" x 1/4". 

So if I do need to drill new holes, thoughts on plugging old holes and using the west system injectable epoxy?  I reckon cuz the holes are small diameter, the delivery method has got to be injectable....otherwise air pockets.  Right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version