Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Restoration complete on 1974 19-6...  (Read 4152 times)

November 08, 2006, 05:13:58 PM
Read 4152 times

billh1963

• Information Offline
Restoration complete on 1974 19-6...
« on: November 08, 2006, 05:13:58 PM »
Restoration is complete as far as the basics. Boat is ready for the water! I still need to decide if I need a windshield, do I want a t-top vs. Bimini, etc.

Electronics consist of VHF and a Garmin 340C fish finder with and Airmar thru-hull transducer. I'm not sure about the GPS since this will be an inshore rig.

Overall the quality of work is pretty good. There are a few minor cosmetic things I don't like but they are minor.

If you look closely on the last picture you'll see a gap between the livewell/leaning post and the deck. That is attributed to angles on the deck and the leaning post. Any ideas (other than caulking) of how to fill that gap?

Any other ideas for what the boat needs (other than a lot of use)?

2008 MayCraft 18

November 08, 2006, 06:58:23 PM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 06:58:23 PM »
What a magnificent job, Bill!  Just looking at the pictures is tangeable inspiration for the rest of us still covered in glass dust and trying to lay out plumbing and wiring runs.  The pop-up cleats & bow light keep a nice clean deck-line and the paintwork looks perfect.

Concerning the gap at the bottom of the livewell, I'd leave it until the next time you have the livewell off and can re-shape the deck in that area.  Don't know the weight of the well full of water but you may want to pop in some temporary support shims to help distribute the weight on the well base flange and underlying deck.

You asked about suggestions.  First would be to add well anchored stainless grab rails around the console area.  These will provide security for others standing near the console; people gravitate mostly around the console when underway the same way party guests at your house always wind up standing around in the kitchen.   A strong loop around a windscreen would do it or rails on the port, starboard and forward console sides if no windscreen.  Maybe a couple on the livewell too.  Not much to hold onto there either.  These might seem to clutter the look a bit, but they'll have good use.

Second would be GPS.  Although you don't anticipate needing IFR nav. capability, circumstances could arise where it would be needed.  If you put one aboard you have the option of using it.  If you don't have one, that option is gone.  Handhelds can be had at low cost and don't require any installation.  Christmas is coming.  Put the word out.

Third is a compass for all the same reasons as the GPS.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

November 08, 2006, 08:28:43 PM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 08:28:43 PM »
Looks great Bill!

My first suggestion for an addition would be some fish blood  :wink:

All I can say about a gps, especially a mapping gps, is that they are the best thing since peanut butter if you get caught out in low/zero visiblilty conditions.

As Jim said, a grab rail somewhere around the console or leaning post will be mighty handy.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 08, 2006, 08:52:05 PM
Reply #3

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 08:52:05 PM »
Thank you for the compliments, guys.

I had thought about re-installing the grab rail that was on the console when I bought the boat (see pic below). I would need to install a winsdshield for that to look good. I need some ideas for some options. For the livewell I would love some curved rails to fit the livewell...that would be cool!

I had a Garmin GPS 192C with the built in chip set in my Boston Whaler Outrage and that was nice. I may go back to that. I'm just not convinced I'll really use it. I do have a Ritchie compass to install.

I had wanted to flush mount my VHF but ran out of "real estate". One option would be to close off the opening under the steering wheel. I need to think about that some more. I do not like it sitting on top of the console.

The livewell actually sits on the deck...the inside of the "lip" sits hard on the deck. You can't slide a screwdriver under it. What I don't understand is why the entire lip isn't sitting flush with the deck. It's almost like the outer edge it is "curled" up, although, it shows flat on a straight edge. By the way, the trim tab pump is mounted under the livewell to keep it out of the weather.

2008 MayCraft 18

November 08, 2006, 10:14:24 PM
Reply #4

ddd222

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:14:24 PM »
if you'd never use a mapping gps than you will fish/boat in the same water you always have? W/ all that work you should want to venture out or trailer the baot to new adventurous places!
    W/ regard to lack or real estate i have a suggestion based on your future plans for the boat. Since you plan on adding a ttop this is additional mods i would do if budget allowed. Adding the top allows you alternatives, possibly electronics box to mount a mapping gps and gps but that wouldn't be my 1st choice. I would remove console for a couple reasons, #1 to add backing plates and thru bolt to deck best case scenario to hold the extra weight of console w/ ttop, #2 to possibly add some real estate w/ some more glassed console to flush mount electronics and more real estate for mounting hardware for top. Been on boats w/ ttop boxes and flush mount, i like the look of flush mounting and think its more user friendly. Just my thought, hope its cost effective but i also hope u do it

November 09, 2006, 05:30:55 AM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:30:55 AM »
Sure looks nice Bill - been a long time coming and looks like it was worth the wait.
Couple things caught my eye that I would add:
   1. Pole holders - maybe it is the angle of the pix but I don't see any under the gunnels or console.  And I don't see one in the cap anywhere.
   2. Fold-up or some kind of beverage holders - you gotta have at least one of them.
   3. I agree with the comments on the MAPPING gps - when I went to the rendezvous last weekend, I was in territory totally new to me and I would have been lost without my Garmin 188C.  Besides being able to see the channels and markers, other nice features are that they can give you the tides and you can scan around for the depth of water in the area.  Capt Jim showed me the one he current has on his boat - a Lowrance I think - and it was like a wide screen tv - very nice.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 09, 2006, 08:49:24 AM
Reply #6

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 08:49:24 AM »
In my last boat I had the VHF down inside the console.  I don't use it often so it wasn't un-handy for me.  I mounted a microphone clip on the dash and would just pull the mic out and hang it there where it was easy to get to.  That works especially well when the radio has extra controls on the mic.

Curved rails around the well would be really nice.  I'm sure a good tower fabricator could hook you up with something nice looking if your pockets are deep enough.  Custom aluminum fabrication is getting out of sight like everything else.  I have been actually considering buying a TIG welder and doing odd jobs like adding rod holders, etc.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 09, 2006, 10:25:21 AM
Reply #7

Bluesbrother

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 10:25:21 AM »
Very nice!!! If you are thinking about putting up a windshield, you will have to put back the rail or prepare for many windshield replacements. If you go through a wake or some chop, anyone standing will grab for something and the windshield supports nothing... For the VHF mounting, I did close off the area under the helm and mounted my stereo and trim control in there with room to spare for future gadgets.
19.6 CC, T-Top, 115 HP Johnson 4 stroke, Continental All. Float on.

November 10, 2006, 07:12:00 AM
Reply #8

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »
The stereo and VHF located in the hole under the helm would be appealling. I wonder if a piece of starboard (or equivalent) with beveled edges bolted over the hole would look okay? I could flush mount the VHF/stereo in there.

I'm not going to pull the console and fill the hole...that isn't going to happen!

Any other ideas for ways to cover the hole?
2008 MayCraft 18

November 10, 2006, 08:52:57 AM
Reply #9

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 08:52:57 AM »
Nice work, Bill!!!!
Could you post a pic of your inside transom to see how you´ve dealt with the hyd tubing going in the boat?
Mine are exposed.  I don´t need to say that I don´t like this, as any sliding cooler, jumping fish or else may ruin them..........
Miguel
1985 Osprey 170 / 1992 115HP Mariner
[/url]

November 10, 2006, 12:02:34 PM
Reply #10

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 12:02:34 PM »
Miguel,
I won't be around the boat around for a couple of weeks but will take pictures when I see the boat again.

The bends in the tubes (where they come through the transom) are protected by stainless vent caps. I'm debating whether I need to protect the whole tube...at this point I believe they are fairly well protected.
2008 MayCraft 18

November 11, 2006, 12:28:36 PM
Reply #11

bluedolphin

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »
Very nicely done! I bought 1972 22-2 with quite a bit of renovation done. Pls. my pics in the Photo Gallery under my member name - bluedolphin - to see what the previous owner had done to it. TTop, VHF antenna on the TTop, with pole holders, etc.

November 12, 2006, 11:47:44 PM
Reply #12

damnitbadger

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 11:47:44 PM »
Very nice indeed! I love thepop up cleats and light.
Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever!

88\' CCP 222 w/200 EFI Merc

November 14, 2006, 07:39:17 PM
Reply #13

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 07:39:17 PM »
Placed some orders today...

Garmin 492C GPS
Two stainless Perko rod holders
Two Fentress 4-rod deluxe rod holders
Two 12" and Four 18" stainless grab bars

I'll take pictures when I get the stuff installed next week.
2008 MayCraft 18

November 15, 2006, 05:42:45 AM
Reply #14

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 05:42:45 AM »
Quote from: "billh1963"
Placed some orders today...

Garmin 492C GPS
Two stainless Perko rod holders
Two Fentress 4-rod deluxe rod holders
Two 12" and Four 18" stainless grab bars

I'll take pictures when I get the stuff installed next week.

Now you're cookin' - did you get the 492C with internal or external antenna?  Nice, small footprint.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal