You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 71 22-2 Flatback Re-build Watch and Comment Please  (Read 13639 times)

May 15, 2018, 09:25:20 PM
Reply #15

Marcel4t

• Information Offline
Re: 71 22-2 Flatback Re-build Watch and Comment Please
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
Okay great.  I was wanting to put it on a cradle anyways, I like the idea of the boat being down low for me to get in and out of 10000000 times over the course of the rebuild.  I tried finding a post that shows the best way to build a cradle to support in correctly? 
And I also planning flipping it over for fairing and painting.  How that can be done with such a heavy boat in my back yard I'm not sure.  But that's last.
1971 222

May 16, 2018, 07:27:26 AM
Reply #16

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 16, 2018, 08:24:41 AM
Reply #17

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:41 AM »
You can look for a thread in the FB forum by Capt. Matt.  He had his sitting near the ground. Hopefully he didn't use photobucket. If he did and you are using the photobucket patch and the right browser (like Mozilla) then you can still see them.
The support doesn't have to support every inch - mostly to keep the shape like the hull sides and the centerline and chines of the hull.  As suggested, if you don't over support the hull bottom maybe the hook will "sag out" and then when you lay some layers of 1708 over the bare hull, it'll lock it into place.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 16, 2018, 01:41:13 PM
Reply #18

dirtwheelsfl

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:13 PM »
Every flatback ive seen has that hook in the keel, i wouldnt mess with it (unless its in the actual hull bottom). But it doesnt look like the actual hull is hooked much, just the keel strip. Even the nice n straight solid hulls ive seen have had that keel strip curve in em. Although a small hook in the actual hull bottom would probably be a benefit on these hulls to get the bow down.

But do extend the keel just about to the transom aft, tapering back to flat where it ends. Will help it track better...

Use some straight pieces of lumber along/under the keel and chines to keep the hull shape, and pull some strings like mentioned.

I actually like the look of that mako console in there, just needs a frameless windshield about 1/4 the height

May 16, 2018, 04:17:41 PM
Reply #19

Marcel4t

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »
Light reading.

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=8901.0
Thank you!  Very cool!

You can look for a thread in the FB forum by Capt. Matt.  He had his sitting near the ground. Hopefully he didn't use photobucket. If he did and you are using the photobucket patch and the right browser (like Mozilla) then you can still see them.
The support doesn't have to support every inch - mostly to keep the shape like the hull sides and the centerline and chines of the hull.  As suggested, if you don't over support the hull bottom maybe the hook will "sag out" and then when you lay some layers of 1708 over the bare hull, it'll lock it into place.
RickK I am SOOOOOO grateful for you letting me know there is a Photobucket Patch!  I just added it to Chrome.  Whew!!
Every flatback ive seen has that hook in the keel, i wouldnt mess with it (unless its in the actual hull bottom). But it doesnt look like the actual hull is hooked much, just the keel strip. Even the nice n straight solid hulls ive seen have had that keel strip curve in em. Although a small hook in the actual hull bottom would probably be a benefit on these hulls to get the bow down.

But do extend the keel just about to the transom aft, tapering back to flat where it ends. Will help it track better...

Use some straight pieces of lumber along/under the keel and chines to keep the hull shape, and pull some strings like mentioned.

I actually like the look of that mako console in there, just needs a frameless windshield about 1/4 the height
I'll do a string test as soon as the rain stops here in South FL, its been torrential. 
And I didnt know it was a Mako console, I like it, and I had same idea about a frame-less shorter windshield, Great minds think alike!
1971 222

May 28, 2018, 11:25:19 PM
Reply #20

Marcel4t

• Information Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »
Got the floor ripped out.  The guy I bought it from said the floors and stringers had been repaired from the livewell back, and it seems to be the case.  They feel solid.  There is one broken stringer up front, port side.  Also, the stringer that runs along the hull seems to be missing glass on the top. 
So, questions:
1. I want to put a tank under floor, is it okay to cut that middle stringer out enough to put a tank in, and then put a build bulkhead behind tank? 
2. How do I check to see if the stringer foam is not wet?  It does seem there are some areas water could have gotten in on top.  I know I will be cutting off the strips of wood they have on top of all the stringers, and will replace with composite of some type. 
3.  I thought I read that flat backs dont have liners?  Mine has a liner.  I imagine if I took it out, it would be a lot more work to make the inside of hull smooth for paint? 
4. How would you guys repair that front stringer?  What would have been a cause for it to break like that??
5. Anything that you guys can see that looks bad/odd/needing attention?
Thanks!
I keep flipping that last pic clockwise, but the change doesnt stick. 

1971 222

May 29, 2018, 07:05:26 AM
Reply #21

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »

1. I want to put a tank under floor, is it okay to cut that middle stringer out enough to put a tank in, and then put a build bulkhead behind tank? 

Hopefully someone who has actually done this will chime in here.  I’d be inclined to leave as much of the original structure as possible.  Would 2 tanks be an option?  It should also be possible to cut the center stringer down in height and put in a floor on top of it to support the new tank.

2. How do I check to see if the stringer foam is not wet?  It does seem there are some areas water could have gotten in on top.  I know I will be cutting off the strips of wood they have on top of all the stringers, and will replace with composite of some type. 

You can drill small holes aft at the bottom of the stringers and look for water.  You also should be able to touch the foam near the open areas that you describe, the break too.  Squease the foam if water comes out or it feels like a wet sponge, you should replace.

3.  I thought I read that flat backs dont have liners?  Mine has a liner.  I imagine if I took it out, it would be a lot more work to make the inside of hull smooth for paint? 

I can’t think of a reason to remove it.  You already have a 3 piece boat.

4. How would you guys repair that front stringer?  What would have been a cause for it to break like that??

Grind back to clean glass and tab it in with layers of glass.  You can use screws and a temporary backer to pull it into alignment.

5. Anything that you guys can see that looks bad/odd/needing attention?

I’d pressure wash the whole thing.  Then inspect the tabbing of stringers to the hull.  Look for cracks or areas of dry or broken glass.

May 30, 2018, 08:25:44 AM
Reply #22

Marcel4t

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »
Thank you for the reply. 
The front stringers look good, but the fronts will need attention. 
As far as the liner, I guess it adds another step in closing in the transom, as I have to remove it to be able to tab the transom into the inside of the hull. 
I pressure washed the inside and will post a vid of what the inside looks like. 
1971 222

May 30, 2018, 10:43:49 AM
Reply #23

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »

As far as the liner, I guess it adds another step in closing in the transom, as I have to remove it to be able to tab the transom into the inside of the hull.

Yes, but it is so much easier to tab in and fair 18” of liner than the to fair and prep the hull sides.

May 31, 2018, 08:51:40 AM
Reply #24

Marcel4t

• Information Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »
Oh yes, I didnt think of that!  Thanks!
I wish someone could chime in on how I can put a tank below deck  :sign0085:
1971 222

May 31, 2018, 10:27:58 AM
Reply #25

FL.flatback

• Information Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
I put mine under the deck. I cut the center stringer on the backside of the center compartment back to the stepdown in the top of the stringer. Put a bulkhead at that point. I made my own tank ended up being just over 40 gal. Once I remove the section I glassed the whole area to tie the hull and stringers together. Hope this make sense. I see your in Boynton I grew up in lantana now I live in the Acerage area. If you have any question let me know.

May 31, 2018, 10:43:17 AM
Reply #26

FL.flatback

• Information Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »
Here's pic. of mine. Keep it up you'll enjoy yours when it's done.

May 31, 2018, 10:45:28 AM
Reply #27

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »
Basic ideas.

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=9842.msg102175#msg102175

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=14384.0

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10789.msg105572#msg105572

Many of the Flatback re-builders removed the stringer system and built new. This allows for designing space for a below deck tank. If however you are keeping what you have, you have to first decide where the tank will be located and then remove the center stringer to allow for it. Build a bulkhead and create a "coffin' for the tank then re-attach the center stringer to the new bulkhead. If you keep the "windows', you'll need more room aft.

First, you must decide on tank size. Visit the Moeller site to get ideas on tank size and dimensions.

http://moellermarine.com/product-category/fuel-containment/permanent-fuel-tanks/

Good luck. :thumright:

Mod Edit: I see FL. beat me to it. :great02:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 31, 2018, 01:58:00 PM
Reply #28

Marcel4t

• Information Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
I put mine under the deck. I cut the center stringer on the backside of the center compartment back to the stepdown in the top of the stringer. Put a bulkhead at that point. I made my own tank ended up being just over 40 gal. Once I remove the section I glassed the whole area to tie the hull and stringers together. Hope this make sense. I see your in Boynton I grew up in lantana now I live in the Acerage area. If you have any question let me know.
Okay great, thank you!  I actually read your post about your frames for windows. I'm sure Boynton has changed a lot since you grew up here huh? Is there any chance I can come check out your boat?  It looks beautiful, and I can pick your brain. 
Basic ideas.

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=9842.msg102175#msg102175

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=14384.0

https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10789.msg105572#msg105572

Many of the Flatback re-builders removed the stringer system and built new. This allows for designing space for a below deck tank. If however you are keeping what you have, you have to first decide where the tank will be located and then remove the center stringer to allow for it. Build a bulkhead and create a "coffin' for the tank then re-attach the center stringer to the new bulkhead. If you keep the "windows', you'll need more room aft.

First, you must decide on tank size. Visit the Moeller site to get ideas on tank size and dimensions.

http://moellermarine.com/product-category/fuel-containment/permanent-fuel-tanks/

Good luck. :thumright:

Mod Edit: I see FL. beat me to it. :great02:
And thanks Capt!  You took time to attach links.  The last link really shows how to set a tank in with the middle stringer modified.  I know a lot of guys take all the stringers out and make their own, and I am tempted to do that, but this is first major rebuild and the extra complexity of doing that makes me pause. 
1971 222

May 31, 2018, 02:11:26 PM
Reply #29

FL.flatback

• Information Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »
PM sent

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal