Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Looking for GPS recommendations (Garmin)  (Read 1209 times)

July 31, 2013, 04:32:49 PM
Read 1209 times

1moreminute

• Information Offline
Looking for GPS recommendations (Garmin)
« on: July 31, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
Hello all, I'm getting a new (to me) boat and it didn't come with GPS. Looking at Garmin. I would like a nice sized screen 7" plus, no touch screen is fine. Also want it to be able to flush mount in the dash of the CC. Ive had Garmin GPSs before but the 541s. Looking for a bigger screen. I don't have auto pilot or anything like that so no need for it to be compatible etc. If that makes sense!

Thanks all...
1996 225 Osprey w/ Johnson 225 Ocean Pro

July 31, 2013, 08:50:24 PM
Reply #1

Bergertime

• Information Offline
Re: Looking for GPS recommendations (Garmin)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »
I just purchased a Garmin 740s and I love it.  I too had a 5 series (546s) and I can say its a big step forward.  The fact that I could use my existing ducer was also a serious consideration for me.  There are some good prices out there now for many units depending on your needs.  I'd go to one of the West Marine superstores where you can view many models side by side and play with them a little and then shop online for the best price.  If u have any specific questions regarding the Garmin feel free to ask.  I purchased it out of a place in CA with no tax and free shipping.  They were also the cheapest out there for a new item.  Good luck!

Ps. I really like the touch screen.  It is much easier and faster to use underway especially navigating menus, selecting waypoints and moving the map.

B
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

August 01, 2013, 08:24:05 AM
Reply #2

1moreminute

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
Quote from: "Bergertime"
I just purchased a Garmin 740s and I love it.  I too had a 5 series (546s) and I can say its a big step forward.  The fact that I could use my existing ducer was also a serious consideration for me.  There are some good prices out there now for many units depending on your needs.  I'd go to one of the West Marine superstores where you can view many models side by side and play with them a little and then shop online for the best price.  If u have any specific questions regarding the Garmin feel free to ask.  I purchased it out of a place in CA with no tax and free shipping.  They were also the cheapest out there for a new item.  Good luck!

Ps. I really like the touch screen.  It is much easier and faster to use underway especially navigating menus, selecting waypoints and moving the map.

B

Thanks for your info, the 740s I was looking at last night online. Seems like no matter what, once you step up to this size it has a lot of features I will not use but no other way around it. I'm going to go to WM and test some out like you mentioned. If you don't mind, can you point me in the direction of where you bought yours from please? I def don't mind saving some cash! Thanks so much again,

Mike

August 01, 2013, 09:04:47 AM
Reply #3

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
Hello Mike,

Below is the link to the place I purchased mine.  I actually purchased it as a Radar Combo (GMR 18 / 740s) but I was impressed with their customer service (called me to confirm shipping details) and their turn-around time on the order, plus free shipping and no tax was a bonus.  

Just keep in mind that most units are not priced with a transducer so if the boat does not already have one (some ducers are brand specific) and you are going to be fishing that will be important.  Items to consider here beyond imaging features is dual frequency and overall power.  Lower power units may not work well in deeper water that is present off the east coast and The Keys.  Depending on the type of fishing you do some of the other units may have features that are critical such as side scan or downward looking imaging.  I typically do more offshore type fishing so these were not as important to me.  

No unit will be perfect but try to focus on the options that are important.  Touch screen, screen size, internal antenna were some features that were critical to me along with being able to mark a waypoint directly off the sonar screen.  Sonar marking was a deal breaker for me which allows the ability to pinpoint a spot (reef or structure) directly off the sonar screen so you can easily navigate back to it.  

If you are going to flush mount the unit and depending on the type of top you have (Hard or T-Top) you may need to also invest and install an external antenna (you may want to test satellite reception first with the mounted unit).  I have mine mounted on a bracket at the top of the helm so that was not necessary as the Garmin has an internal antenna.  Something else to consider and although it may not be as aesthetically pleasing,  bracket mounting allows you to remove the unit when the boat is in storage and reduce the opportunity of theft.  It's also is easier to look at when underway by not having to take your eyes off the water akin to adjusting the radio in your car and driving, especially important when navigating unfamiliar waters as well as looking for navigational aids, waypoints etc.  Hope this helps.  Feel free to PM me or post here if you have more ?s.  I am sure that other members will weigh in as there is a wealth of very knowledgeable people here.   Good luck

http://www.imarineusa.com/garmingpsmap7 ... otter.aspx

((West Marine has the Garmin 740s for 899 now with free shipping))

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... _263729_-1

-Bruce

August 01, 2013, 07:52:57 PM
Reply #4

1moreminute

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »
Bruce, thanks so much for taking the time to write all that, it has helped. I really like that unit and will probably get that one. I have a canvas T top on the boat now and it has a 300c fish finder currently with a transducer, not sure what one it is but it has the smaller connector, so Ill have to see if that'll work. Ill see if Ill need the external antenna once shes installed, I didn't even think about the theft part if I flush mount it (making it not removable). So Ill consider dash mounting it with the take off bracket once I get the boat in my possession next week and see how much room itll take up.

So far WM has the best deal I have found so far so thanks for telling me that.

Not sure what type or how far I will go for fishing as I never had a boat this size, I know I have a lot more options with this boat. So Im not sure. Pulling the boat to upgrade the transducer will be easy for me or I just may do a thru hull transducer. Ill cross that bridge when that comes!

Again, thanks so much for all the info. I have so many things I want to get for this boat that its overwhelming but I want to make her ours by customizing it to the way we want!

August 02, 2013, 08:58:31 AM
Reply #5

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »
I know what you mean.. I have had my Osprey for almost a year now and I still have a list of items as long as my arm that I want to update/ upgrade..  I do think it's almost endless.  Out side fixing anything broken / and some recommended mechanical maintenance for a newly acquired boat good electronics will give you more confidence and certainly make navigation easier and less stressful.  There is a thread on here for some of the necessary checks / updates after the purchase.. gear lube change, water pump replacement, etc..  I highly recommend you take a look at that and check all the necessary safety equipment like lights and bilge pump(s) all through hull fitting etc..  Anyway - Sounds like this is not your first rodeo (it was mine) so good luck.  

B

August 06, 2013, 07:38:40 PM
Reply #6

1moreminute

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 07:38:40 PM »
I know what you mean.. I have had my Osprey for almost a year now and I still have a list of items as long as my arm that I want to update/ upgrade..  I do think it's almost endless.  Out side fixing anything broken / and some recommended mechanical maintenance for a newly acquired boat good electronics will give you more confidence and certainly make navigation easier and less stressful.  There is a thread on here for some of the necessary checks / updates after the purchase.. gear lube change, water pump replacement, etc..  I highly recommend you take a look at that and check all the necessary safety equipment like lights and bilge pump(s) all through hull fitting etc..  Anyway - Sounds like this is not your first rodeo (it was mine) so good luck.  

B

Hello Bruce,

Its not my 1st rodeo for sure but I am no expert either, this is the biggest boat we've owned so far, this thing is HUGE for a 22.5 foot but actually is a 24ft boat per brochure when new. Its huge to me! I plan on doing the impeller and gear oil change and possibly replacing the bilge pump, it works but float switch does not but might know why, I saw a broken wire in the area, but bugs were getting bad and they chased me in! I will look some more tomorrow. I like the Rule automatic ones, the one in their is a 1500 gph pump, wondering if I should step it up a little more as she will be in the water all the time through storms etc. Do you think a 1500 is big enough or should I go bigger?

Thanks again Bruce for all you help and time you've spent with me on this. We are super excited with our decision. Love the girl so far and shes only going to get better once we personalize her! Thanks again,

Mike

August 08, 2013, 10:26:03 AM
Reply #7

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
Hey Mike...

Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond.. been slammed at work.  If you are going to change the impeller I would suggest that you get and replace the complete water pump kit.  It does not cost that much more and it seems that threads consistently surface where cooling problems arise when just the impeller is swapped.  Plus, putting in a new pump can't hurt and is a good baseline for you.

As for the bilge pump, I think anywhere from a 1500 to 2000 GPH (I have a 1500) is the sweet spot for a boat that size just make sure that the hose diameter is correct for the pump and if you go larger the additional power requirements are accounted for.  In addition, make sure that the pump is wired to the helm for a manual switch and the float switch is wired directly to the batteries independent of any other switches. You want to ensure it always has dedicated power regardless of the battery switch settings you are using.

Among many other things... If you are planning on keeping in the water make sure that you don't have any leaks and that your deck drains properly.  Our Ospreys have a self bailing cockpit where water (rain) should drain off via the two drains in the back.  It's essential that you test these on the water for effectiveness and below deck leaks.  In addition, it's highly critical that they remain unobstructed as you know how much rain can fall here in Fla in a short period of time.  It would not take long for your bilge pump to drain your batteries if you had significant water intrusion into the bilge area while on the water.  I have also seen several senior members here recommend that you or a friend routinely check on the boat to ensure things are not going south between usage.  These are just a couple considerations.  I am sure that some of our other members will weigh in.  Again – Congrats on your new boat!

August 09, 2013, 06:59:21 PM
Reply #8

1moreminute

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Hey Mike...

Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond.. been slammed at work.  If you are going to change the impeller I would suggest that you get and replace the complete water pump kit.  It does not cost that much more and it seems that threads consistently surface where cooling problems arise when just the impeller is swapped.  Plus, putting in a new pump can't hurt and is a good baseline for you.

As for the bilge pump, I think anywhere from a 1500 to 2000 GPH (I have a 1500) is the sweet spot for a boat that size just make sure that the hose diameter is correct for the pump and if you go larger the additional power requirements are accounted for.  In addition, make sure that the pump is wired to the helm for a manual switch and the float switch is wired directly to the batteries independent of any other switches. You want to ensure it always has dedicated power regardless of the battery switch settings you are using.

Among many other things... If you are planning on keeping in the water make sure that you don't have any leaks and that your deck drains properly.  Our Ospreys have a self bailing cockpit where water (rain) should drain off via the two drains in the back.  It's essential that you test these on the water for effectiveness and below deck leaks.  In addition, it's highly critical that they remain unobstructed as you know how much rain can fall here in Fla in a short period of time.  It would not take long for your bilge pump to drain your batteries if you had significant water intrusion into the bilge area while on the water.  I have also seen several senior members here recommend that you or a friend routinely check on the boat to ensure things are not going south between usage.  These are just a couple considerations.  I am sure that some of our other members will weigh in.  Again – Congrats on your new boat!

No problem on the late reply Bruce. Already got the whole water pump kit at the house, going to have my buddy who works as a marine mech do it for me and I'm going to watch him then do it next year. I read the instructions and it seems like the sealant needs to be in specific spots etc, so Ill let him show me the way! I'm sure its easy but rather a expert do it and teach me 1st.

About the Bilge, that's exactly how I did it on my old boat. Its the only way to do it with a boat that sits in the water all the time! Wish I had a lift so I didn't have to worry too much though.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take a hose and check every drain in the boxes etc to see if any is getting into the bilge, flood the deck out and see where the water goes, bought some Life Caulk to re seal all the hatches etc for a piece of mind. Going to flood bilge area with plug in to see if anything leaks outside the boat. Also going to check all thu hulls. I agree 100% with you about a good check of everything before see goes in.

Bob is coming by in the AM to get a game plan on about some electrical things I want to do. Parts are flowing in quickly and wallet is draining just as quick! lol...

Thanks again for your help, both you guys have helped a lot and its much appreciated.

Mike

August 09, 2013, 10:02:49 PM
Reply #9

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 10:02:49 PM »
I'm going to Mike's house 0900, we shall have a REAL good look around his Osprey! :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 12, 2013, 10:55:40 AM
Reply #10

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »
Hey guys...

How did things go on Mike's boat?  Whats the 411?

B

August 13, 2013, 08:34:47 AM
Reply #11

1moreminute

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 08:34:47 AM »
Hey guys...

How did things go on Mike's boat?  Whats the 411?

B

Everything is great with the girl, Bob came over and looked her over and we planned out the battery relocation and placed an order for wiring etc. Will be getting going on this tomorrow morning.

Cannot wait to take her out, stereo install will be starting soon as well, hoping to get her out this weekend. My son will be back from NY and boy is he going to crap a pickle once he sees her, he still has no clue! SURPRISE!

August 13, 2013, 10:50:50 AM
Reply #12

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:50:50 AM »
Mike's boat really is sweet, and, yes, she was one of mine!  Kinda like looking through some sort of time warp when I opened up the console.  Yeah, after 17 years she's been messed with a bit, but overall, the boat's a beaut!! :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

August 13, 2013, 11:43:04 AM
Reply #13

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
That's awesome.... glad to hear!!

Mike - I am out almost every weekend either at Beercan Island (Mid Tampa Bay) or the Pinellas coast.  When you get her ready PM me and maybe we can meet up on the sand bar or local watering hole..  My girlfriend always prefers the latter... lol

PS - Did you get the Garmin 740s?

Bruce

August 13, 2013, 05:05:29 PM
Reply #14

1moreminute

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »
That's awesome.... glad to hear!!

Mike - I am out almost every weekend either at Beercan Island (Mid Tampa Bay) or the Pinellas coast.  When you get her ready PM me and maybe we can meet up on the sand bar or local watering hole..  My girlfriend always prefers the latter... lol

PS - Did you get the Garmin 740s?

Bruce

We are also out just about every weekend, well once we get her completed. I am having a hard time finding a bottom painter that is not slammed and 3 weeks out! That's whats going to hold us back from keeping her in the water all the time, so for now we will have to trailer her to the private ramp every weekend. My old boats still in the water in back of my house but she no longer is our so I cannot take her! Tempting cause I know the new owners!

Id love to hook up one day with you guys, once shes in for good Ill let you know and we can make arrangements to meet up and hangout and chat.

I will be getting the 740s soon, been spending a crap ton of cash on things and the stereo went over budget as well which I knew was going to happen since I always over due things!. So i'm just slowing down and getting things squared away with whats NEEDED! To me the stereo was NEEDED! haha not really but in my eyes, yes makes us happy, happy, happy!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal