Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

General Aquasport Forums > Aquasport Discussion

Proud New Member

(1/3) > >>

jaws:
Hello, I grew up in south fla, and purchased a vintage 87' 222xf. My questions are the thru-hull skimmer in the bottom port area, what's it's purpose. The bilge area is extremely hard to get  into to work. If I lose the fitting on that strainer am i correct in assuming the boat is going to fill with water?  will it finally fill up and drain back out thru the on deck drains? Thanks

Keith Knecht:
Hey Jaws,

I"m guessing that your talking about the strainer for the thru hull pickup.  It's usually in the last third of the hull and on the starboard side although it could be elsewhere.  It should be a bronze fitting that is attached to a sea cock with shutoff valve.  You should have access to the sea cock via a hatch cover of some kind either a twist out or pop out kind.  Make sure that the sea cock shut off handle will move up and down.  The sea cock usually has a bait well pump mounted on or near it and it supplies the bait well with water.  Hope that helps.  By the way do you fish for sharks?

I missed one question.  If it finally fills up it won't drain out anywhere.  That's why you want to be sure that the sea cock is working.

Keith

jaws:
Keith,   thanks for the info, If u know that boat,bilge access is thru an 8in round inspection plate. It is below deck where the removeable fish box is. p.i.t.a. u barely have room to get 2 hands in at the same time much less actually work. So your location for the strainer is right i just need to find the ball-cock. IN REALITY it should be right above the strainer. My last boat was a whaler so i'm a little concerned about sinkin' :shock: It will be reasuring once i get a chance to actually find and test that valve.. I mostly live bait for sails, dolphin, kings. Bottom fish for muttons, snapper, grouper  :D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Jerry

Argo:
I have worried about that too and also have had problem with not enough weight in the front of my boat.  I was thinking about filling the front end of the hull, under my anchor compartment, with foam.  Any feedback on this from others on here.  BTW, where the heck is captain?  HAvent seen him post ina while.

Captain:
Never fear, Captain's here! Just busy having a second child;) Or rather my wife is...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version