Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Was an aux fuel tank an option on a 22-2?  (Read 1213 times)

June 22, 2005, 12:03:31 PM
Read 1213 times

John Jones

• Information Offline
Was an aux fuel tank an option on a 22-2?
« on: June 22, 2005, 12:03:31 PM »
I just recently purchased a '78 22-2 and was wondering why it had fuel fill caps and vents on each side of the boat.  Then I discovered a fuel selector valve inside the left rear of the boat behind a deck plate.  Tracing out the lines, one went to the standard 85 gal tank under the cockpit floor with the standard mechanical fuel gauge.  I had to pull the coffin box to find where the other one went.  There is a 32 (not sure?) gal tank under the coffin box.  There are no visible signs that the deck has ever been replaced or cut to add a tank so I was wondering if this was a factory option?  It's an great bonus to me.  I have not checked the condition yet.  Hopefully it doesn't leak or is not all sludged up.

TIA
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

June 22, 2005, 04:46:32 PM
Reply #1

steved

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 04:46:32 PM »
Aquasport's bigger boats - the express fishermen - had a second tank that could be used either for freshwater or gas.  And Aquasport was pretty good about meeting customers' requests in terms of mixing and matching options for one boat with the standard fittings of another. It's possible that your setup is original.  It would be great if you could post some pictures in the gallery.
22.2 CCP (1982)

June 24, 2005, 08:17:20 AM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 08:17:20 AM »
I have put the coffin back but will be pulling it up again soon to paint the deck.  I'll make some pics then.

Thanks.
Niccolo Machiavelli

June 27, 2005, 01:56:13 PM
Reply #3

Argo

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 01:56:13 PM »
I have been wondering the same thing.  I have a 245 and it has a tank under the coffin box up front too.  It stinks like it was a waste water thing or some bait from the coffin box made its way down there.  I was thinking of ripping it out of there but it is pretty well sealed in there.  Wish I knew what it was for.  I am leaving it alone for now and may seal it off and leave it there as an air bubble for bouyancy.  Let me know if you find anything else out.

July 06, 2005, 08:29:24 AM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 08:29:24 AM »
I'll give an update when I can.  Right now the wife thinks the kitchen is more important than the boat.  Right now all the new cabinets are in boxes in the living room.  The kitchen is gutted and we only have the sink base, sink, dishwasher, and stove back in.  That's workable.  I don't understand why she is complaining. :wink:
Niccolo Machiavelli

July 06, 2005, 09:40:46 AM
Reply #5

Argo

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 09:40:46 AM »
I have the same problem but kinda am working around it.  I was gonna paint my boat on my own but a pool apparently was tops on my priority list some how or another.  The pool is almost finished and I have lots of work to do in the yard.  I got around it by sending the boat out for a paint job.  :D  The motors however will have to wait till winter boat show time when I can find a deal on the twins new.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal