Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Generic Aquasport Rebuilding Topics

When did Aquasport start using marine plywood in transoms

(1/2) > >>

ejgagn:
I have an 1983 19 6 Osprey(outboard).       When did Aquasport start using pressure treated plywood in the transoms ?

DEFIANT:
My 1983 222 CCP did not have pressure treated plywood, it just had water logged, rotted plywood in the transom! :lol:

ejgagn:
My 1983's transom is bone dry and solid as a rock.       That is why I am curious as to why it is in such great shape ?       I thought they might be using pressure treated plywood.

JimCt:
One reason some transoms are shot & some are good might have more to do more with number of hours boat has been in the water and the general care the hull has had over the years.  Haven't heard of any boats built with pressure treated ply.  Mine's a  '71 or '72 (I think) an the transom is still solid.

Maybe we're just lucky!

DEFIANT:
Good Point Jim!

The hour meter on my boat is in the 4600 hour range. The boat had alot of use and abuse before I bought it.    I must admit, I have added to the abuse with some of my offshore trips! :roll:

Keep the fiberglass on you transom sealed! Fill and repair any screw holes, or cracks. If you don't let water in, the wood will not rot! I did not keep a close eye on mine and paid the price! Pay close attention to the areas around the motor bolts, both inside and outside of the transom. High HP motors will add to the stresses.

I do not feel pressure treated wood is a good choice for a transom. It just weighs more and contains more moisture. I used AC plywood in mine.  Hope I dont have to worry about termites now! :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version