Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Trolling Motors and Kickers

bow mounted trolling motor?

(1/1)

scott_gunn:
I need a trolling motor, and I was wondering if one would fit on the high bow of an Aquasport.  Does anyone have a bow mounted trolling motor on an Osprey 200 or 222?

I realize I could go with some Lenco Troll-n-Tabs but I would prefer a bow mount - I'm just not sure how well it would work out.

Wilson:
They definitely make them.  they are huge and have a really long shaft with a big radius to hold the motor.  I can't remember the brand.  I'm sure it was either motorguide  or minn kota.

I know Mahoney's in Tampa has them.  I don't know if that's too far.  I ended up driving over to quaility t-tops in your neck of the woods twice last week.  I'm sure that there somebody close to you.

Anonymous:
Just keep in mind that a vessel that size and weight is not easily pulled around. You'll need a strong motor, and a deep shaft length to get the job done. Be sure to consider the space needed for batteries and cables before making the motor purchase.

Reeltronics Rob:
Trolling motor installations require adequate space and access.

Space for battery installation ( includes good ventallation for the batteries ) and either a pull tube, or a way to run the proper gauge wiring for the motor.

Be sure to check the vessel thoroughly before spending any money.....

GoneFission:
I have a trolling motor on my 222CCP.  It takes a 60" shaft (not a 54" - I know from experience!), and I would recommend a Minn Kota over the MotorGuide because the 60" shaft on the MotorGuide makes it soooooo heavy!  The shaft on the Minn Kota is composite - much lighter and it flexes some and will not bend/break.  I got a Minn Kota Riptide 65 Autopilot and have been very happy with it.  I got the wireless kit so you can operate the motor from anywhere on the boat with a neat little key fob control.  The Autopilot feature holds a heading regardless of wind or current and makes the motor much easier to use when you are trying to keep your mind and eyes on fish rather than on the motor.  

Also, make sure you get a detachable mount so you can take the thing off easily when you don't want to have it on the boat.  Also remember to use the right wiring - #4 or #6 depending on the motor - so you get the juice where it needs to be!

Good luck and good fishin'!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version