You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Fuel tanks and anything about fuel systems

Fuel not coming out of fuel pump

(1/3) > >>

dmoney619:
We have gotten a 98 200 with a johnson 130hp on it. The boat had been sitting for 6+ years in south texas. We are trying to start the boat now and it fired up when shooting starter fluid into it. we can't get it to run by itself. it has the VRO fuel pump, but looks to be capped off at the oil line. No oil reservoir to be found on the boat. When we took the outgoing fuel line off the pump, there is no fuel pumping out when we crank the motor over. Shouldn't there be fuel pumping out? We took apart the pump and both diaphragms looked perfect. Not sure how much pressure is needed from the pulse line. When I put my finger over the hose, it is not much pressure pulsing. Could this be clogged? What is the pressure supposed to be if I was able to measure it? if it is clogged, can I just shoot some air into it to try and clear the hose?

Thanks for your time

RickK:
I think that the VRO has been bypassed like the one on my old OMC. I premix oil in the fuel tank.

If you want to post a pic when you talk about your boat, which you should, follow the instructions here http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=12725.0  - don't attach them - you are limited by file size and guessing what size to make the file will usually reduce the pic too much. Uploading them into your "member gallery" is better for viewing and the system takes whatever size you upload and resizes it to the best size.
Spend a few minutes to absorb the instructions. It's really easy. Remember if using a phone to take pics, to hold the phone horizontal with the lens to the left.

dmoney619:
Ok - Good to know - I don't think it was resized though
Thank You

dmoney619:
When we took the outgoing fuel line off the pump, there is no fuel pumping out when we crank the motor over. Shouldn't there be fuel pumping out?

RickK:
The VRO is a Variable Ratio Oil Pump - it mixes oil and gas inside the engine and can change the mix rate dependent on the rpm of the engine. The VRO are not very reliable so most people bypass the VRO and premix the oil in the fuel tank.
That being said, you mentioned there is no sign of an oil tank inside the engine cowling or external. I would guess if nothing is coming in, nothing can come out.
I assume you traced the fuel line from the tank to the bulb and into the engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version