Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Trolling Motors and Kickers

Kicker motor, how does one steer it and use the throttle?

(1/3) > >>

Ben87:
Lets say I will have a big single on a bracket and a kicker motor next to it, both Mercury, how will I steer the kicker? and how will I throttle it?  I have no clue, can you tell?

JimCt:
Just use the main engine as the rudder.  It'll steer the boat quite well when on kicker power.  I never set up any remote throttle for my kicker on the 170; if I needed to change setting I just walked back and adjusted it to suit.

Ben87:
How does the kicker "lock" into postion?  Is there some sort of setting?

JimCt:
My 170 had a '70's 6 hp Evinrude kicker.  It had an adjustable drag-screw under the powerhead on the upper end of the shaft.   I simply tightened down on the screw until the motor head would stay in position under full load.  At this setting I could also steer the kicker with it's tiller if need be.

Miguel:
I had a boat with a kicker before.  The main engine was a 200HP Mercury and the kicker was a 25HP.  We used a double shifter on the console, like you would do for twins.  The main engine can be rigged to the kicker by means of a tie rod (hinged at both ends with spherical bushings).  That way you can have any one of the two lifted out of the water and still steer the other one.  I believe there are kits for this in the market.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version