Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Fuel tanks and anything about fuel systems

Grounding aluminum fuel tank and sending unit

(1/2) > >>

Cpt. Beyond:
Hello,

i have recently landed a new aluminum tank (built by luthers welding Bristol, RI) in my 1982 170 and wanted to confirm the size of the wire i should use to bond the fuel tank to the ground on the boat. I was going to use 14 guage marine wire with terminal connections from WestMarine and stainless screw and nut to hold the ring termination in place. Now wouldnt the stainless screws and nuts however cause corrosion to the aluminum tank in the event it is getting wet under the deck (which im pretty confident ill be dry) ? I have never seen aluminum screws and nuts... also, i have a plastic fill line with a metal cap and chain. From what I understand I am not required to bond the fill because it is a plastic fitting, only metal parts are the cap and chain it hangs from when open...

Capt. Bob:
I used a larger gauge wire for the ground but I'm not sure that's a deal breaker. Use the stainless nut and bolt on the ground flange and coat it with a little Never Seez.

Works rather well on the stainless bolts that hold the aluminum lower unit case to the motor.

Good luck. :thumright:

Cpt. Beyond:
ok, ill use 12 since ill have some anyhow... the never seez. the stuff in red can, copper based?
Thanks

Capt. Bob:
Personally, I have only used the silver stuff. Not sure it really matters.

boatnamesue:
Stainless hardware.  Gauge wire isn’t really big deal since its a grounding wire.  Agree w/Capt Bob…the silver stuff…but it doesn’t matter since its unlikely you’ll need to pull tank out again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version