Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Trailers

Putting an old boat on a upgraded trailer

(1/2) > >>

RickK:
Well, I mentioned that I was going to rebuild my torsion bar suspension trailer (1970), so I ordered the new axle and picked it up Friday and Saturday a buddy, Dave, helped me do it.  Took the boat to a boating club that Dave belongs to, dropped it in the water, tied her off to one of the "slips" and took the trailer back to Daves house.
I ripped off the bunk carpet and snapped this shot of the old support arms - after talking to the new axle guy, he thinks maybe that the guy who I bought the one I'm replacing from sold me an axle for a storage trailer or something that wasn't galvanized - turkey!!  The cross pipe was galvanized but the support arms were not.  Oh well,  won't ever replace it again - this one is guaranteed for life.

This axle was only about 8 years old too.

Probably would have lasted me a few more years but I couldn't stand to see it decay in front of me.

So we got the old axle off ok but I had installed some solid aluminum spacer blocks (2") the last time around to drop the axle a little for the fenders and they were a b%tch to get off - we tried several things to no avail and finally Dave had to use a cutting wheel on a grinder to cut off the heads of the stainless bolts - 1 cutting wheel per bolt.  Cut off the heads and used a punch to knock them through the hole drilled in the trailer.  Finally ready to measure and mount the new axle.
This axle is very nice, all aluminum with stainless hubs and lug nuts.  You also see some aluminum spacers, right behing it, I bought from the axle guy in case I needed to drop it down a little for the fenders like last time.

No more rusting away  8)
We measured (twice  :lol: ), drilled and mounted the axles - pretty slick setup - didn't have to use the spacers after all.

Then put the wheels on and put new bunk carpet on

A buddy of ours used to have an upholstery business and he let us use his "mack-daddy" stapler that had 1 1/4" wide by 1" long aluminum staples - very nice tool.  That carpet ain't going anywhere.

Put the reflectors back on to finish her up.

Headed back to the club, took the boat for a couple hour cruise and then put her on her improved ride, which BTW, rides as nice as the torsion bar did.

Jim, there's the new chariot I'd mentioned.  Capable of pulling much more now - thinking forward  :wink:

Took us about 3 hours - not too bad.
Thanks for ALL the help Dave - would have been no fun without you man.
Here's a bigger pic of the setup - didn't want to post a big pic here.
http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2006&title=larger-pic-of-truck-and-boat&cat=500

Miguel:
RickK:
Very nice.... The new stainless axle should outlast the rest of the trailer.
Im curious, tough.  Why the extra long bunks?
It also seems like you could move the whole boat about 18 inches forward in the trailer, and make a shorter tow.  Do you set your boat in the water in very shallow gradient ramps?

JimCt:
Nice when you can get a job done and over with in three hours. That axle will see all of us in our graves.  

Paint on the bottom looks great!

John Jones:
I broke the bottom spring leaf on one side my flats boat trailer yesterday afternoon.   :cry:   I'll have new springs here waiting on you when you get off work tomorrow.   :wink:

just kidding.  Mine shouldn't be too bad of a job.  The u-bolts look like new stainless so hopefully they will come off okay.

Nice job Rick.  I would like to switch to that setup and do away with eternally rotting springs but that would seriously cut into my stash I have been building for the power pole.  I spray my trailer with citrus cleaner and hose off after every trip.  The last owner didn't even rinse as far as I can tell.  Maybe the new set will last until I can upgrade from galvanized to aluminum trailer.

warthog5:

--- Quote ---Im curious, tough. Why the extra long bunks?
--- End quote ---

Those babies would have been cut even with the transom if it was me.

It will look much cleaner if you do. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version