Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: We're under construction again  (Read 3215 times)

September 29, 2014, 09:13:35 PM
Reply #45

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: We're under construction again
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »
Good thinking Craig.

And Steve, I get it, the continuity of new posts is a great reason to check the board...and important from a "cutting edge" standpoint.

Personally.... I like the rebuilds divided based upon model/organization. And Craig's suggestion gives us the best of both worlds.

So....lets go forward and see how it shakes out. I'm not a moderator, but perhaps there can be a "new posts" forum added to the rebuilds if we come to that consensus. As always, this is a member's board. Whatever it takes has been my experience.

Rick and Bob....you've done a great job... and we're appreciative :salut:

September 29, 2014, 09:53:21 PM
Reply #46

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »
The problem I was seeing is that there were pretty much two forums where everything landed - Rebuilds and Engine, even if it had nothing to do with either.  So we became accustomed to coming to just a couple forums and all updated threads were there and all at the top.  The vast information below those upper ones was rarely ever looked at - especially 37 pages worth of it in the rebuild forum.
Having the new organization is going to make it so easy for someone to find what they are looking for and for us that read every post, remember that the icons light up when there is a new post in a forum.  All the forums/subforums are visible from the front page so you can scan down the list and go where they are lit. Or do what Craig is suggesting - works well if you want a one stop spot to view the new topics or updates.

When we're finished there will not be a reason why a new or old member can't find what they're looking for now - for example, I need to find info on how to install a bilge pump, there is an Electrical and Plumbing forum where all that is now - you hopefully wouldn't look in the engines forum for that (and that was where they used to be). CB's analogy of the jars of screws was brilliant and spot on - it was getting to a point where we couldn't find info easy and most never even tried.

We have matured into being the site to come to for Aquasport info and help, so we need to make it easy.  When you have the amount of data we have there is a lot of work behind the scenes to keep it simple.  For example, putting subjects on each topic that describe what the topic is about, which helps searching is one simple thing that will help.  I found a topic that had 10 question marks as the subject - that helped members a lot.

So, change is a little painful but in a week or two it'll all make sense, especially if you want to find something.  Bear with us, we'll be culling things for some time to come.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

October 01, 2014, 03:47:08 AM
Reply #47

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 03:47:08 AM »
Wow Craig, as obvious as that button is I never "saw" the view new posts button. Thank you for that suggestion as that helps put me back on track. I look forward to more great stuff from the site. Thanks everyone !
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

December 27, 2014, 06:11:47 AM
Reply #48

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2014, 06:11:47 AM »
Hi All,
On Jan 2, 2015 we will be shutting the site down (7AM) and migrating to SMF forum software.  When we come back up, hopefully the same day, we will have a fresh new look with new themes and offer 3 themes for you to choose from.
We have been testing SMF for several months now and it is a solid forum software with good support and is easier to deal with than phpBB.
If you have any questions let me know.
Rick

December 31, 2014, 06:22:25 AM
Reply #49

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 06:22:25 AM »
Avish is thinking 9-10AM for shutting down the site, so you'll have time to check the site in the AM for latest info.  
Happy New Year everyone  :cheers:   :rendeer:  :king:  :bigsmurf:  :clown:  :shaking2:  :drunken:
Rick

January 01, 2015, 12:29:07 PM
Reply #50

Avish

• Information Offline
  • Developer - IT Team
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 12:29:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

It appears since everyone's basically offline and still in recovery mode from last night (I know I still am lol), I'm going to go ahead and do the switch over to the new software.

Cheers,
Avish
Avish J.
Classic Aquasport | IT Admin

Evolucix | CEO
http://www.evolucix.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal