You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Attention Tab Man  (Read 1623 times)

October 09, 2012, 11:17:17 PM
Reply #15

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Attention Tab Man
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:17 PM »
Tom has told me that rarely do solenoids on the pumps go bad...but rarely doesn't mean never.

Let me contact my buddy and see what he has to say... :wink:

Email sent, look for a reply in the morning.  It's late you know...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 09, 2012, 11:28:59 PM
Reply #16

Whitewater

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
The solenoid valve is bad, or could be just stuck.  A solenoid valve (electrically operated valve) will pull high current until it moves.  If it doesn't move it will continue to pull high current until the fuse blows or the coil in the valve burns up.  That could be what blew the fuse.

John Excellent explaination we must have been typing at the same time as our posts came out at exactly the same time when I updated!  

I know that anything is possible as the PO noted at sale that he had never used the trim tabs.  He was the second owner of the boat and he owned it for some 15 years or so.  Always had it on a mooring in the summer and put it in the yard in the winters, not sure if she was ever covered as all I got with it when sold was the bimini top.  inside the hatch where the pump is located is sweaty however I did wash out the hull bilge last night and it has been rainy and cool here over the past few days.  I am wondering if poor mantainence and upkeep could have broken down the solenoid or the valve.  Blockage now that I am thinking about it in a sealed system doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless something in the pump let loose and threw a clot.

1984 222 Sandpiper Dual console
1987 Black Max 200hp

October 09, 2012, 11:53:46 PM
Reply #17

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 11:53:46 PM »
Blockage won't make the solenoids warm up and trip a breaker/blow a fuse.  The tab just won't work.  For instance if the hyd line is plugged by caulking.  Solenoids simply carry a higher amperage load than the switch is capable of.  Now the pump motor, that's a different story.  It's a reversing type pump.  Voltage applied one way, it turns clockwise.  Reverse the voltage, it turns the other way, counter clock wise.

Wait 'til Tom chimes in...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 10, 2012, 08:01:35 AM
Reply #18

Tabman

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
Good Morning Guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting here, thanks for the heads up Bob!

Whitewater,

It sounds like you have a faulty starboard (green wire) solenoid.  You can tell if it has failed by simply putting 12 volts positive directly on the green wire at the pump. You should hear the valve click.  Two things to make sure you have done.

First make sure both ends of the black ground wire at the pump are good and clean, as low voltage can cause the valves to not function properly.

Make sure the valve is not screwed in too tightly, it needs to be just finger tight.

If we confirm that it is the valve they can be purchased from a dealer and easily replaced.  Here is a link to a video for troubleshooting one side not working http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/videoplayer.php?vID=15

Let me know what you find.

Where are you on the Cape?  I went to school in Marion (a long time ago!).

Tom
Bennett Marine

To Learn More, "Like" Bennett Marine On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/bennettmarine

October 10, 2012, 10:34:20 AM
Reply #19

Whitewater

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »
Quote from: "Tabman"
Good Morning Guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting here, thanks for the heads up Bob!

Whitewater,

Let me know what you find.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Hey Tom,

Good to meet you !

No worries Bob told me about your project.  Congrats and good luck with the remod if you need any pointers there that is my forte.

It is raining very heavy here today so I might not get a chance to test this out but it appears as though this would finalize the trouble shooting process.  Are replacement pin connectors (the green male pin was snapped off in the 4 pin connector)  and the weather cover also available for sale?

Thank you !

Chris

1987 Black Max 200hp

October 10, 2012, 11:47:47 AM
Reply #20

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
Chris,
To answer for Tom, yes, the cover is available.  But, in all honesty, the flat 4-pin plugs tend to get a bit corroded over time and can be troublesome.  What I do is cut them off, then splice the wires together using GOOD adhesive lined heat shrink butt connectors, 16-14 GA.  You can get them at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, or whatever you have up there on the Cape...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 10, 2012, 12:40:01 PM
Reply #21

Tabman

• Information Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Chris,
To answer for Tom, yes, the cover is available.  But, in all honesty, the flat 4-pin plugs tend to get a bit corroded over time and can be troublesome.  What I do is cut them off, then splice the wires together using GOOD adhesive lined heat shrink butt connectors, 16-14 GA.  You can get them at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, or whatever you have up there on the Cape...

You can do what Bob said!  Also before you replace the solenoid, try stripping the wire back on it to get a good contact.

Tom
Bennett Marine

To Learn More, "Like" Bennett Marine On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/bennettmarine

October 10, 2012, 01:24:34 PM
Reply #22

Whitewater

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Chris,

Actually that is what I did with the green connection; it's sealed up tighter than a frog a.... wait I cant say that word here this is a family show.

I will probbaly do the same to the rest in that case as I like things even and uniform.  I have free time to attack this now but still waiting on the rain to stop

1987 Black Max 200hp

October 10, 2012, 01:31:29 PM
Reply #23

Whitewater

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
Quote from: "Tabman"
You can do what Bod said!  Also before you replace the solenoid, try stripping the wire back on it to get a good contact.

Tom
Bennett Marine

The wire end was slightly black at the point that I cut it back to I cleaned it up however I probably should go further into the wire to be sure that this is not the issue and I spent the money on the part foolishly.

Great pointers and a great product Tom !

Chris

1987 Black Max 200hp

October 10, 2012, 03:18:58 PM
Reply #24

Whitewater

• Information Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »
Unbelievable.... that is all I can say.  

A week ago I said eh I am going to have to spend 300-400.00 for a new tab system. 3 days ago eh maybe it will cost me a chuck of money for a new pump or a tab piston.  Yesterday eh maybe I am going to have to buy a new solenoid for a smaller chunk of money but still it's money.  This afternoon Tom.... I would like it you could go in and kiss Mr. Bennet full on the face for me!  

After all of the testing and stripping wires and swapping hydro lines and tapping wires to bypass the switches. I tested the solenoid directly off the battery and nothing.  Backed off the solenoid from the pump and thought I was going to head down to the supply shop for a new one.  Last whim put it back on and gave it a solid TAP with a ball peen and gave it one more chance.  Damned if it didnt work !!

Tom 16 years of this system sitting idle,  never being used or moving according to the previous owner in all that time on mooring all of those years and ping just like that it's working like a champ.  If that is not proof your system is bullet proof I don't know what is.

Thank you !

Chris

1987 Black Max 200hp

October 10, 2012, 03:20:22 PM
Reply #25

Whitewater

• Information Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
Tom...... on second thought maybe you should not kiss your boss.... just a hearty thank you would probably suffice  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

1987 Black Max 200hp

October 10, 2012, 04:10:52 PM
Reply #26

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
Chris,

That is indeed testimony to the quality of product that Bennett produces.  And when it comes to Customer Service, well, it is known throughout the boating world, there is none better than Tom McGow...tabman! :salut:  :salut:  :salut:  :salut:  :salut:

And a hearty welcome back to FL, Tom!! :cheers:  :cheers:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 11, 2012, 08:01:48 AM
Reply #27

Tabman

• Information Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 08:01:48 AM »
Chris,

I am delighted to hear that you got the system running! That is indeed a great story!  Since I work in a different location than the factory I will not be able to kiss Mr. Bennett, or shake his hand, but I will pass your story along to him!

Tom
Bennett Marine

October 11, 2012, 09:25:48 AM
Reply #28

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »
Quote from: "Whitewater"
Unbelievable.... that is all I can say.  

A week ago I said eh I am going to have to spend 300-400.00 for a new tab system. 3 days ago eh maybe it will cost me a chuck of money for a new pump or a tab piston.  Yesterday eh maybe I am going to have to buy a new solenoid for a smaller chunk of money but still it's money.  This afternoon Tom.... I would like it you could go in and kiss Mr. Bennet full on the face for me!  

After all of the testing and stripping wires and swapping hydro lines and tapping wires to bypass the switches. I tested the solenoid directly off the battery and nothing.  Backed off the solenoid from the pump and thought I was going to head down to the supply shop for a new one.  Last whim put it back on and gave it a solid TAP with a ball peen and gave it one more chance.  Damned if it didnt work !!

Tom 16 years of this system sitting idle,  never being used or moving according to the previous owner in all that time on mooring all of those years and ping just like that it's working like a champ.  If that is not proof your system is bullet proof I don't know what is.

Thank you !

Chris
Excellent!  Job well done. Think your are happy now?  Wait to you get to run the boat with the tabs operational. You'll be happier than a Witch in a broom factory.

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

October 12, 2012, 09:00:40 AM
Reply #29

Whitewater

• Information Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
[/quote]
Excellent!  Job well done. Think your are happy now?  Wait to you get to run the boat with the tabs operational. You'll be happier than a Witch in a broom factory.[/quote]

Blue Agave thank you. I can't wait to see the difference. I've never been on a boat with Tabs before let alone drive one. This IS going to be a learning experience as well.

1987 Black Max 200hp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal