Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: '79 200cc Rebuild  (Read 1785 times)

September 15, 2020, 04:05:01 PM
Reply #15

NewGuy55

• Information Offline
Re: '79 200cc Rebuild
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 04:05:01 PM »
Additionally, picked up this leaning post for a steal of a price. I’ve been looking for something like this for a while & even the used were astronomical prices. The stuff I did find that was reasonable priced was obviously nowhere near this & typically in poor shape. It isn’t perfect, it’s going to need a little refurb, it’ll get paint with everything else once its confirmed but I didn’t feel I could pass this up.

Here's my issue now – I originally was planning to narrow my console & my seating/leaning situation from what I had. I wanted to create as much free floor space as possible but this thing is 40” wide. Did I over do it? Will it look silly if I add a much narrower center console? What kind of setups do you guys have?

I believe the original console was just about 40” wide so I know I didn’t go too overboard, but it is different than what I had originally planned for.  How much more narrow do you guys think I could go without it looking odd?

September 15, 2020, 05:05:47 PM
Reply #16

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 05:05:47 PM »
You have the option to cut a foot out of the center of the leaning post. Rejoining it is the easy part, getting a vinyl person to cut the black out of used material might be tough, if not impossible, especially if you expect them to stand behind their work. Fiberglass is easy to repair.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

September 15, 2020, 05:20:16 PM
Reply #17

NewGuy55

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
You have the option to cut a foot out of the center of the leaning post. Rejoining it is the easy part, getting a vinyl person to cut the black out of used material might be tough, if not impossible, especially if you expect them to stand behind their work. Fiberglass is easy to repair.

I've thought about that, but was thinking that would in turn cause need for upholstery work (as you said) & it would cause the storage boxes on the rear to have to be replaced. Thats a couple hundred bucks on top of the hundreds I spent on this already. I'm thinking if thats the route I feel I need to go, then I'll likely try to sell this one for profit & just buy something else that fits my needs better & doesnt need all the work.  I was more so looking to see people's thoughts on the width & the aesthetics/functionality of the console & leaning post differing in width.

September 15, 2020, 06:52:20 PM
Reply #18

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
Off the top of my head your beam is 8' (96") and subtract about 6" (x2) for cap and now you have 84" between inner gunwales (tapered inward toward floor).
So add a 40" (plus those grab handles?) console/leaning console to the ould be 44" for the center stuff.
That leaves (84/2 to find center and 44(console)/2= 22 to figure the width from center)- 22" from center each way.  So unchanged the pass-by will be 42-22 = 20" +/- each side. Not enough for a comfortable pass especially if you put rod holders on the side of the console.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

September 16, 2020, 11:01:39 AM
Reply #19

NewGuy55

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 11:01:39 AM »
Off the top of my head your beam is 8' (96") and subtract about 6" (x2) for cap and now you have 84" between inner gunwales (tapered inward toward floor).
So add a 40" (plus those grab handles?) console/leaning console to the ould be 44" for the center stuff.
That leaves (84/2 to find center and 44(console)/2= 22 to figure the width from center)- 22" from center each way.  So unchanged the pass-by will be 42-22 = 20" +/- each side. Not enough for a comfortable pass especially if you put rod holders on the side of the console.

Good math & you're right, that is less than what I would like as a pass. That being said, if I recall correctly the original console on the boat was about 40" in width too. The pass was narrow enough that it was something I wanted to improve on as I began to rebuild, but maybe if I can get something about 38" then it wont look so drastically different than the width of the leaning post & affords me another inch or so from what was originally there. I'm still deciding, fortunately I have the time to do so.

September 17, 2020, 07:25:05 AM
Reply #20

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 07:25:05 AM »
I went with a CM Leaning post live well for my 200 CCP.  It’s 40” wide as is my console. The walks don’t feel crowded to me, though I did cut my liner to get 3-piece construction.

So much depends on your intended use.  My boat is set up for offshore trolling and live baiting usually with a crew of 2.  If you fish more inshore, casting or fly fishing, or with more people, you may want a smaller console and seating.  For offshore, I like a larger console.  With outriggers and rod storage on the T top that leaves the cockpit, gunwales and bow clear for action.

September 17, 2020, 05:26:30 PM
Reply #21

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »
Looking good so far. My thought is if it's not exactly what you want and you can sell it easily then don't go through the trouble of trying to "fix" it. I also agree with mshugg on the console sizing. It all depends on what you'll use the boat for. If I primarily fished offshore I would want something bigger to hang on to and hide behind in the slop, but if you stay shallow and fish more people the ease of passing is nice.

September 18, 2020, 09:35:25 AM
Reply #22

NewGuy55

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »
I went with a CM Leaning post live well for my 200 CCP.  It’s 40” wide as is my console. The walks don’t feel crowded to me, though I did cut my liner to get 3-piece construction.

So much depends on your intended use.  My boat is set up for offshore trolling and live baiting usually with a crew of 2.  If you fish more inshore, casting or fly fishing, or with more people, you may want a smaller console and seating.  For offshore, I like a larger console.  With outriggers and rod storage on the T top that leaves the cockpit, gunwales and bow clear for action.

mshugg - appreciate the feedback. It's times like these that you'll recognize I'm still very much new at this. For example, I trusted the measurements of the seller & went back to re-measure to be sure of things last night. Turns out the width of the leaning post is 36", which really isnt too concerning to me now that I think about it.

Additionally, just for background - I'm from the NY area & have always enjoyed fishing from the beach, bridges, jetties, etc. I was never fortunate enough to have a boat, yet I did work some retail growing up in boat stores & spent some summers working on docks for boat/yacht clubs. That said, I always hoped to one day have a boat where I could merge the luxury of being out on the water & feed my hobby of fishing.

My life is without a doubt more busy now that I'm a FL resident, so I havent had a ton of time to fish down here but have REALLY struggled to catch anything at all surf-casting. My few experiences on boats down here though were quite the opposite, lots of success. So as far as what I want to do with this boat - I want it to be versatile if thats possible. I've never really had much off shore opportunities but would like to. I also would like to take advantage of the good inshore fishing too since I'm right here in Tampa.

I've got a lot to learn, a lot to figure out. My hope is that I can get this boat versatile enough to do a bit of everything.

September 18, 2020, 09:37:35 AM
Reply #23

NewGuy55

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 09:37:35 AM »
Looking good so far. My thought is if it's not exactly what you want and you can sell it easily then don't go through the trouble of trying to "fix" it. I also agree with mshugg on the console sizing. It all depends on what you'll use the boat for. If I primarily fished offshore I would want something bigger to hang on to and hide behind in the slop, but if you stay shallow and fish more people the ease of passing is nice.

You make good points here. I don't see myself heading out with more than 3 people at any one time. That said, I'd like to do a little offshore & a little inshore, so I'm definitely going to take that into account as I look for a center console  to match the leaning post.

September 18, 2020, 10:55:38 AM
Reply #24

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 10:55:38 AM »
If I were in the Tampa area, I’d be thinking about a hybrid layout with spot lock trolling motor.  That would cover you for tarpon, snook and reds inshore, though with the 19 degree deadrise it won’t get into skinny water.  It would be awesome for cruising the beach for Tarpon or Cobia, maybe with a spotting tower.  Though 20’ is marginal for a tower. You’d also be good for kingfish and nearshore grouper.  The run to true offshore grounds is long over there.

You might want to hang out at boat ramps and maybe hit a boat show to check out different layouts and get an idea of what you like before you get locked into a layout.  With all the time invested in a rebuild, it’s good to get things exactly right for you.

February 19, 2021, 06:22:25 PM
Reply #25

NewGuy55

• Information Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 06:22:25 PM »
Mshugg - I appreciate the feedback you gave me in the last post.

It's been a while since I've posted, I've been super busy with work and just now will start finding some more time to get back to work on the boat. Since I last posted, I got the transom done. Closed it off, completely with coosa at the coring. I took it to Tim at Bluewater Boatworks to get it done and it looks great - I'll add pictures in due time.

As I progress with this build I wanted to get as many opinions as possible in regards to an outboard bracket. I'm looking into porta bracket with the swim platform option. I think it's likely the most functional option and it definitely looks great aesthetically but it is beaucoup $$.

There are so many back plate vs porta bracket threads on all types of forums, so I'm not here to ask preference; rather, ask if with a closed transom can I make a jack plate work? I'm guessing the 14" option would be the most ideal but with a 25" shaft, will I encounter any issues? Anyone have experience with this or thoughts?

As always, appreciate all the feedback!

February 25, 2021, 05:18:52 PM
Reply #26

NewGuy55

• Information Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »
For the record - I've decided to go with the Porta Bracket. Model # 171715 - it has a 17" setback and rated for a Max HP of 200.

Since I've last been active on the board, I've decided on going with a newer I4 Yamaha F150 model. I'm still in the process of purchasing but I plan on making it happen.

I'll do better keeping this thread up to date with decisions & progress  :thumleft:

February 25, 2021, 07:11:03 PM
Reply #27

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 07:11:03 PM »
Sorry I missed your last question. You'll be happy with the porta. A little more $$ but they are great once you get used to them and the extra travel

December 03, 2021, 09:22:40 AM
Reply #28

NewGuy55

• Information Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 09:22:40 AM »
UPDATE: I've decided to share a lot of the process on IG, here is the link:

https://www.instagram.com/aquasport200ccp/

With that, you'll see how far along the boat has come & more thinking into the decisions on the design.

The porta bracket it being mounted this week & the motor is being hanged. For the record, went with a new Suzuki 200 - I previously planned on a Yamaha 150 but between availability, price & the warranty, I couldn't say no to this Suzuki.

So, I've done some research here and on THT but I cant quite come to any conclusions. I'm hoping you guys can shed some insight into this for me. The portabracket definitely changes the COG of the original design. I made some conscious decisions to try to offset that by doing the following:

-batteries under the center console
-livewell in the leaning post
-fuel tank pushed forward a foot

Now another piece of information before I get to my actual question - I did not intentionally raise the floor but it might be a 1/4"-1/2" inch higher because I went with a 3/4" coosa and a few layers of glass on each side.

Ok, here are my questions - as it pertains to the floor drain & scupper location - do you guys think I need to change the location from the original? I will eventually get the boat in the water, load it up with gas, water in livewell & people to see the water line & make the right decision, but does anyone have any thoughts on the outcome? Any experiences that might help? Thoughts on whether I should keep this self-bailing or not? Any other non-traditional setups for me to consider? All would be much appreciated.

My second question is - should i assume i need trim tabs in this setup? i planned on getting them, figured it cant hurt but also question how compatible theyd be with the portabrackets ability to be adjusted. I'm mainly asking, is the functionality worth it & does having the portabracket have an effect on its functionality?

Appreciate your help!

December 03, 2021, 07:31:50 PM
Reply #29

Fishhead

• Information Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
Very nice job looks great, can’t tell in pics did you glass over the hull rear corner drains? Any pics of rear deck inside? Looking forward to finish pics
19-6 family fisherman
24 osprey pilothouse
22-2 family fisherman

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal