Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: mahogony or teak? 70's 19 6  (Read 374 times)

January 09, 2014, 06:02:29 PM
Read 374 times

aquaprouts

• Information Offline
mahogony or teak? 70's 19 6
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
can anyone tell me whether it was teak or mahogony trim used originally on a 1977 19 6?....on topside of rear gunnels, the under console trim, front anchor locker hatch and various thin trim strips on the center console and bench seat backrest....i was assuming it was teak but saw that somone out there did a rebuild with mahogony.......thanks

January 09, 2014, 06:13:20 PM
Reply #1

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
Re: mahogony or teak? 70's 19 6
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »
im sure someone will chime in with the difinitive answer, but im pretty sure its going to be teak. Mahagony comes into play in rebuilds because it has similar weatherproof and color properties to teak but is close to 1/3rd the price. I have googled the two of them before and I believe you have to treat mahogony a bit more to keep it from rotting but I dont think its anything you have to worry about in the near future. I had a mixture of teak and mahogony on my 200CCP and I could not tell the difference. They both weathered and wore well. I recently made a few pieces out of mahogony for my 246CCP and I will use either as I can get it to finish the project. Thats my 2 cents for what its worth.
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

January 09, 2014, 07:14:31 PM
Reply #2

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: mahogony or teak? 70's 19 6
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »
Original construction was all teak.  It's availability has absolutely plummeted and as such price has skyrocketed, and it's tough to tell if you're getting the South American version or the African version during purchase.  Most new teak now is from plantations and is young wood which means it's mostly light colored, wide grained, weaker sapwood from mid-sized trees that are encouraged to grow at the fastest rate possible.   It has the same weather resistance, but it structurally and aesthetically deficient compared to old-growth or heartwood.  It's REAL hard to fine heartwood in anything other than salvaged timbers nowadays (which command an absolute fortune unless they're beyond salvation).  Teak by it's simple biology contains a very weather resistant oil which made it ideal for marine uses b/c it won't rot.  It discolors, but a little sanding can bring back ALL the original luster, and it's typically left un-varnished; teak oil is the only treatment used in most marine applications.  Mahogany has nowhere near the overall weather resistance, but is significantly cheaper and, with a nice sanding and finish coat, is absolutely GORGEOUS.  Generally, teak was always used for exterior flooring and trim work, and mahogany was always used for interior finish carpentry or cabinetry b/c it's much easier to cut/shape.   My father has been a woodworker his whole life so that's where I get most of my relatively limited knowledge, but our member Palmetto does custom work for our members and can probably give you some more GREAT info.  

My two cents - if you can find REAL teak, and have the ability to have it machined, it's the ONLY way to go for the exterior trim...but be prepared to fork over your first-born.  Mahogany, Ipe, African teak, and a few others make quality substitutes if availability or price are your limiting factors.
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

1987 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal