Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 222 ccp deck removal?  (Read 1459 times)

September 28, 2009, 12:40:33 AM
Read 1459 times

222 ccp dgraf

• Information Offline
222 ccp deck removal?
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »
Anyone got have any good advice on where to cut and remove the deck on a 222 ccp. I have to remove wet foam and do some hull repairs. I will remove the fuel tank well completely and glass a flat floor between the stringers and install a plain rectangle shape tank. Front well is allready gone (no coffin)and that is how I found hull damage.  My hull joint behind the rub rail is 100% glassed together so there is no splitting there. I would really like some advice on this one. What do you use to make the deck to top of stringer bond when putting back together........looks like duraglass but can't be as set up would happen to fast. Advice please!!!

September 28, 2009, 08:06:06 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: 222 ccp deck removal?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »
Try this. Not a CCP but procedure would probably be the same.
Many more in this forum.

http://www.classicaquasport.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2579&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 29, 2009, 01:38:09 AM
Reply #2

222 ccp dgraf

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 01:38:09 AM »
Thanks Capt. Bob. It all helps...the more you see the better. I cut my deck out today and left a 7 inch tab all around the perimeter on the boat. I am sure I will cut cut it farther back once I have a for sure plan. I removed my fuel tank well and will not reinstall it as the same for the front storage well. I will put a deck in at the bottom of the stringers with some bulkheads to set the fuel tank in. I need to get all the foam out of the stringers and I have a repair inside the starboard stringer to do as a lifting strake got damage by a previous owner and never got repaired from the inside. I like the idea on re installing the deck an inch higher on top of the old deck top tabs but don't like the body work I would have to do on the entire inside corner and 3 inches up. pluss would have to raise stringers aboutan inch as well.  Any idea where to get the hull deck puty for re laying the deck on top of the stringers? Would love to get some pointers from someone who has redone a deck on a 222 ccp

September 29, 2009, 08:45:49 AM
Reply #3

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:45:49 AM »
The bonding putty can be bought at most quality retailers of boat building supplies... I know FGCI and Composites One both carry it.  You can also make your own putty (my recommendation) by blending epoxy with milled fibers and cabosil.  You add the fibers FIRST, get it somewhat thick, then add cabosil to get to a putty consistency.  That will be VERY strong.  I don't like buying the premade stuff because you almost always buy too much - plus you cannot control the consistency.

The other option is how I bonded my deck to the stringers: 5200.  It is a very tenacious bond, and it is semi-flexible... so the deck has a little cushion on the stringers.  Believe it or not, this is an accepted way to bond the deck - and used by a lot of folks.

September 30, 2009, 01:00:25 AM
Reply #4

222 ccp dgraf

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:00:25 AM »
Thanks, for some reason making my own never came to me, I will go that route. I was not impressed with how easy my deck sepperated from the hull with the puty any way. used a porta power with a scissor head and soon as it made contact it all popped. This is my first complete deck job and I wish I had some better advice on joints and some of the details. I have guys up here I am tight with that are great glass guys and make a great living at it but when they do explain there methods to me it is all about doing as little work as possable and "patching it up" I want it done right and to never have to go back into it or have stress cracks down the road. Thanks, Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal