Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: How far do most of you run when you go out fishing or . . .  (Read 1134 times)

August 31, 2006, 12:33:37 PM
Read 1134 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
How far do most of you run when you go out fishing or . . .
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:33:37 PM »
. . . just pleasure cruising?  

For the vast majority of my runs, I have to go at least 12- 15 miles from port to get to the good fishing and oftentimes I'll go roughly 20 miles out depending on the conditions.  This time of year, as the Bonito are running, I'll have to run at least 25 miles out then do about 3-5 miles worth of trolling/drifting, then run back home before the chop/seas pick up in the afternoon.  

Do any of you worry about the boat/hull or is your main concern with the health of your motor.  I know that since I've gotten the 06 OptiMax hung, I'll have no qualms/hesitation with a good long run as I know that with even a half a tank of gas/35 gallons, my range @ 4-5 mpg is, at even 4 mpg is around 120 miles and that would get me 50 out and 50 back minimum.  My main limit with the Osprey 222 are the seas.  Most anything over 3 feet and I have to slug it out at 15 mph.

August 31, 2006, 07:14:45 PM
Reply #1

Tim/GA

• Information Offline
    • http://curriecustomnets.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »
GA coast-  inshore I run anywhere from 4 to 15 miles one way to the area I want to fish depending on the time of the year.  Probably average 10 miles out, 4 to 10 miles during and 10 back.  Fishing the beaches or nearshore (8 mile reefs) add another 15 to 20.  That has been the extent of my personal 17ft boat.

When finished, my 19' 6" Aquasport will be doing the above as well as running to the Gray's reef and the other hard bottom that is 15 to 20 miles out.  On good days of course.  I have always been more inclined to expect trouble from my engine than the hull.  So far only one tow due to an engine problem (knock on wood) and one very short pull back to the ramp due to a broken drive shaft.  I will be pretty confident in the hull of this AS when finished.

We also fish the towers and Gulf Stream but that is a 70 mile run (one way) offshore at a minimum.  I have fished a 24' Mako with a single 250 out that far many times and stay over night from time to time.  Won't see my AS out that far though!  Not that we are making that run very often with these gas prices anyway :(
Currie Custom Cast Nets and Seines
http]

August 31, 2006, 08:19:43 PM
Reply #2

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »
With my 170 I never pushed out further than I felt my 6 hp kicker/trolling motor could get me back from in reasonable time.  Distance... probably four miles or thereabouts.  Considerations were the main engine and the weather.  Engine surprises are always lurking.  Our weather up here doesn't kick up as rapidly as Fl,  Ga or the Carolinas but our line squalls can still move in pretty quickly.  Even at my limited range, I've brought in enough fish and had nice enough days on the water to not feel hemmed in much.  The 240 will widen the envelope some I reckon.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

September 01, 2006, 05:56:30 AM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 05:56:30 AM »
I pretty much stay in the bays and ICW (InterCoastal Waterway) with my 170.  I've had it out 10 miles or so but was not real comfortable with the experience.  The low freeboard especially at the rear made it a concern if the waves got high.  Gotta keep moving ahead of the waves, especially in a following sea.  I think she's a perfect bay boat, able to drift over 6-8" of bar if I'm in the front.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

September 01, 2006, 10:33:28 AM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 10:33:28 AM »
My round trips are anywhere from 2 - 60 miles depending on what I am targeting.  The farthest I have been offshore is 18 miles from the nearest land.  I have two concerns.  First is the 13 year old motor.  It runs fine but...  Second is the low cut transom.  I do have the splash well and it is sealed but I still don't like it.  I have SeaTow and a backup VHF but I don't fancy waiting hours for a tow, especially if the weather were to turn.  On the long list are an EPIRB and closing the transom and adding a bracket.  On the very long list is a re-power.  I pick my days to go offshore so I have not had any weather problems.  I have been more worried about taking on water inside Tampa Bay than I have offshore.  The chop in the bay can get really nasty with the right tide and wind combination.  I have no concerns about the soundness of my hull.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

September 01, 2006, 01:40:04 PM
Reply #5

Tailgunner

• Information Offline
    • http://nbrigham.com/Nix/nix.html
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 01:40:04 PM »
I run out 7 miles on a regular basis to my favorite spot. Middle of Vineyard Sound.
Tailgunner
Ex owner of Ethel Ann 1973 222
Now in BroadBill\'s hands

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal