You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Bimini top for 170  (Read 1674 times)

June 16, 2006, 10:35:30 AM
Read 1674 times

jdupree

• Information Offline
Bimini top for 170
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:35:30 AM »
I am planning to put a bimini top on my 170.  What would be a good height of the top for the 170.  I don't want it too low or too high.  I can't get to my boat right now and I see one on e-bay that measures 34" tall and 73" to 78" wide.  Would this be a good size for the 170 :?: Also, if anyone wants to sell me a good used one for my boat let me know.  Thanks alot for the feedback.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

June 16, 2006, 04:48:51 PM
Reply #1

osprey170

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 04:48:51 PM »
I put a bimini on my boat last year and let me tell you - it was like A/C on those hot summer days on the water here in TX.

I boat one from Boater's world I think it was like $200 - 249 w/free shipping.  I had the frame to my old bimini that I used for measurements.  I thought about getting the canvas re-done on my old frame but didn't have the time to hassle with it so I got the whole thing.  I'll go out and measure my old bow over the weekend and send you the measurements if your interested.  Also, I've got the old frame in good condition and the canvas in poor condition if your interested in getting it redone.  You can have it if you want to pay to have shipped to you.
1985 Osprey 170

June 16, 2006, 05:05:41 PM
Reply #2

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 05:05:41 PM »
Osprey170,

Thanks alot for the reply.  I had a bimini on my last boat.  It takes up room but is well worth it.  Thanks for the offer on the frame.  Might take you up on it depending what I find.  I just needed to know what to get as far as the height and width go.  Thanks again,
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

June 16, 2006, 08:05:52 PM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:05:52 PM »
Most come in standard heights if I remember right.  
If you're going custom, here's what I would do (if I could do it again): if you have rod holders on the side of your console, put your favorite 3 or 4 rods in and measure to the top of the highest one.  Now move over to the gunnel and measure the height of it, subtract that from the first measurement and add 2 inches.

The things I dislike about my bimini is:
1. that I can't raise it if I have my rods in the rod holders. I have to move them to the side storage - no big deal but if it was only a few inches taller  :roll:  
2. if it's up it is always in the way when you're fishing - no way around this.  I usually disconnect 2 of the 4 straps and wrap them around the frame.  If it's down and rolled with boot, the guy/gal in the front has to climb over it to get to the casting platform.

The things I like about my bimini:
1. it is removeable - I usually fish in the AM and until dead summer, don't really need it.  I also need to strip the boat down when a hurricane is "aiming" at us.  Can't do this with a T-Top.
2. as mentioned earlier - it is a savior in the heat of the summer - 15 degrees cooler under it.  (For the days I keep fishin' later in the day) I see some boats that have a bimini almost the length of their boats, hmmmm - no fishin' unless it's bottom fishin' but they're cool.  For me, the early morning sun in the middle of the summer, is brutal and no top will help as it fries you as it's coming up. After the sun is up to about 10 o'clock position, then the bimini helps you dry back off.

I have seen new biminis at boat shows that have no straps, just a single rod that attaches to the tubing that goes around your windsheild - check that out.

I guess a bimini is like a spouse... :lol:

My $.02
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 17, 2006, 08:07:00 AM
Reply #4

steved

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »
Hey Rick, can you point me at an Inernet link to one of those bimini tops that have no lateral straps.  I did a quick search and didn't turn anything up - I'd like to see how they work.

In terms of helping keep the bimini out of the way when fishing, one option is to put the bimini on a sliding rail - with a variable point you can give yourself more unencumbered room either fore or aft.  

As far as maximizing the shade of the bimini, I have a cloth extension for both the front and the back.  Definitely not for fishing other than bottom fishing, but for those really hot days out on the water with the family, it's nice to have room for everyone in the shade.  

The aft extension is rectangular in shape and has a "sleeve" sewn into the back end.  A piece of aluminum tubing goes through the sleeve and two vertical pieces of tubing attach by way of elbows.  The vertical tubes sit in hinged holders attached to the gunnels. The fact that they are hinged means that the whole structure can more fore and aft with the bimini.  The bow extension is trapezoid-shaped (that is, it gets narrower from the bimini towards the bow). It also has the sleeve but there I use a single fiberglass tent pole (the flexible ones that you use for igloo-type tents).  The pole forms an arch and the two ends slide into tubular mounts up near the bow. A single line runs from the middle of the arch to the bow to keep things taut. The whole thing mounts and dismounts in a couple of minutes and the pieces are light and easy to store.
22.2 CCP (1982)

June 18, 2006, 05:47:54 AM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 05:47:54 AM »
Quote from: "steved"
Hey Rick, can you point me at an Inernet link to one of those bimini tops that have no lateral straps.  I did a quick search and didn't turn anything up - I'd like to see how they work.

Hi Steve, I don't know if I'd be able to find a link for you either (will poke around and see what I can find though) - maybe it was a custom for the boat manufacturer.  If I remember right, the bimini was constructed like normal - like this.  Now imagine taking another rod and connecting one end to the top of the windhield and the other to the front of the bimini.  Tighten both ends down and this will hold the bimini in it's normal position and now you can remove all the straps.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 18, 2006, 10:17:19 AM
Reply #6

steved

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 10:17:19 AM »
Thanks Rick, I get the idea but it seems pretty flimsy to me. Maybe it would work OK with a bimini with a stainless steel frame like yours.  Mine is ancient and has an aluminum frame.  Even with the straps, it is pretty "loose". I hate to think what it would be like under way with only one support.  But thanks anyway. I am always looking for ideas.
22.2 CCP (1982)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal