Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Bilge Pump Wiring  (Read 1132 times)

August 19, 2007, 06:20:49 PM
Read 1132 times

KeithG

• Information Offline
Bilge Pump Wiring
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:20:49 PM »
Should the bilge pump be connected to a constant power source?
While working on my new '87 200 this weekend I found the bilge pump wires cut, the power wire was still intact, the bilge pump toggle switch does not control the power to this wire, nor does the battery switch, how is it supposed to work.

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm tired, I have worked on this boat for the last 2 days solid, just cleaning and some much needed maint.

I'm going home and drink a cold beer.

August 20, 2007, 09:56:48 AM
Reply #1

Mad Dog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »
Does the pump have a float switch?  My marine dealer recommends using automatic float switch and direct wire to a power source.  That is for the off chance your boat is in the water overnight and a storm moves in.  You can feel more secure that if the bilge picks up enough water the pump will turn on as needed.  If you wire to a switch or through the ignition then you have to get out in the rain an turn the pump on.

August 20, 2007, 10:18:24 AM
Reply #2

KeithG

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:18:24 AM »
Quote from: "Mad Dog"
Does the pump have a float switch?  My marine dealer recommends using automatic float switch and direct wire to a power source.  That is for the off chance your boat is in the water overnight and a storm moves in.  You can feel more secure that if the bilge picks up enough water the pump will turn on as needed.  If you wire to a switch or through the ignition then you have to get out in the rain an turn the pump on.

Yes, and it was running constantly, probably why the previous owner cut the wires.

August 20, 2007, 01:30:18 PM
Reply #3

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:30:18 PM »
Wire through float switch directly to the battery with an inline fuse.
Add a parallel connection to the pump with a simple on/off switch so you can turn it on at any time.  

Do not buy the Rule Manual/Off/Auto switches:
1 - they are a POS and will not last long.  The black paint on the bezel starts to peel in a few months, the light will not stay in it's socket, the switch is NOT water proof.
2 - I do NOT want an off position on my bilge pump.  Sooner or later that will get you in trouble.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

August 20, 2007, 01:59:45 PM
Reply #4

KeithG

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »
Thank You

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal