Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Generic Aquasport Rebuilding Topics

1973 196 rebuild question

(1/6) > >>

Duffy1470:
Is the liner bonded to the hull side on early 70s 19-6? Also, is it tabbed to the floor? Just started a project. Already itchy.

dbiscayne:
My '71 liner was only attached at the top by the rub rail screws, it stops just short of the cap. At the bottom it's a continuous part of the deck/glassed.
Just a small 1/4" at most gap between the liner and hull side. Seems they had a mold for the liner and deck when constructed.

umecheme:
My 19-1 liner was attached at the top with bonding putty.... for like the top 4"... it was a mess to take out, destroyed the liner.

Duffy1470:
Thank you so much for your response.  unbolted the cap (flat head screws/bolts are the worst).  My plan is to throw away the liner or at least not put it back in.  I assume it was not structural?  Is that ya'lls understanding?

Other than Coosa or similarly priced materials or plywood, what other decking materials work.

Thanks in advance. 

Ulysses485:
Flathead screws are indeed the absolute worst! There are few different ways to rebuild these hulls to make them last as long as they did. What you have to ask yourself first is what type of finish do you want and what your intent is with the rebuild. If your looking for a nice finish inside, the liner will make it much easier not to have to fair/finish the inside of the hull after you tie the deck into it. However, when you cut the deck out and try to leave the liner, you'll want to tie the deck to the hullside to keep some structure. This will leave you with a liner that has to be re tabbed into the deck  so it has to be trimmed (assuming the deck is thicker or at least will be raised). The last option that I don't believe you see often is removing the liner as one piece (hoping it doesn't crumble)..and recoring it filliped upside down with divinycel, coosa, or other composite materials Check out my flatback thread and you will see what I mean. There are a LOT of rebuild threads on here to look over and many proper rebuilds to follow. Share some pics and it will really help with guiding in the process and perspective to answer any questions you may have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version