Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Fuel tanks and anything about fuel systems

1974 222 old tank. Replace or not replace?

(1/2) > >>

aguerra65:
Hello.
Pulling a fuel tank out is anything but fun. As I removed the tank with the assumption that the fuel tank was damaged, I found that one of the two aluminum straps was cut which may mean that this tank was replaced prior to my adventure. I pressure cleaned the fuel tank and I noticed that it wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, no plates to identify how old it is. If I  proceed to plug the breathing and the fill sides and use a tire stem with a piece of fuel line and pumped about 3 lbs. of air inside the tank and check for leaks with soapy water and find none, should I reuse the tank? This is an approximately $ 500.00 crossroad but I rather buy one than having to take it back out after the whole project is done and the deck is back on. BTW the stuff inside was nasty pre mixed fuel and water contamination but less than a gallon of it. I posted photos on the gallery. Your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

RickK:
If you uploaded the pics to your gallery (which I see you have), that was the hard part.  To insert the pics from your gallery into your topic, follow the instructions from #9 and beyond in this topic - very simple
https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=12725.0

RickK:
Your tank should be a 60 gal tank.  OEM suppliers of tanks to Aquasport was RDS in FL and also ALLOY METAL WORKS in the NE. Both have websites and I think they charge about $10/ gal.  If you call them and give them the year and model they have the drawings for the tanks.

Ulysses485:
I am in a similar situation.

I called RDS and they gave me some resistance about needing a drawing for a quote but i gave them rough dimensions and although they couldn't find my tank size in their system (70 gallon), they quoted me a 90 gallon that was similar in shape and it was just under $12/gallon. They said it was listed as for an aquasport so i assume it one of the larger models. Someone else purchased one somewhere in Tampa and it was around $13/gallon for 50 gallons.

Ulysses

dbiscayne:
 can you measure the wall thickness of the tank? If that checks out, and there aren't any crusty areas that look like they're about to corrode through I'd be tempted to use it, maybe give it a good cleaning & coat with epoxy.
Not knowing the grade of aluminum is a relevant concern too. Might corrode faster than others but if it looks good now???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version