Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Project - Aquasport 246CCP, 1979, Captain Koz II  (Read 25539 times)

September 18, 2011, 08:15:10 PM
Reply #15

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
Re: Project - Aquasport 246CCP, 1979, Captain Koz II
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
I took out the gas tank. No surprises. Thank goodness that it is not the original foamed-in tank that takes forever to dig out. Tank needs to be pressure washed and checked for corrosion. There is one spot I found that is a bit deep but not all the way through. If it is the worst thing I find then I will use this tank for a while. Optimally I would like a new tank but 1/4 shorter in length to move the weight forward. I dont need a 125 gallons plus I would like to offset some weight off the stern being I am going to install a motor bracket. A shorter tank would sit the fuel weight a few feet forward. I will be relocating the batteries under the center console so that will move some of the weight forward.

tough to see but here are a few spots of corrosion pitting. They were near the aft strap and not all the way through. The new position of the center console will be forward of the gas tank cover so changing out the tank will no longer involve pulling up the center console.

1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

September 18, 2011, 09:26:45 PM
Reply #16

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
Congrats on the new ride Koz!  Looks like she has great potential!  Can't wait to see her come back to life.  I am leaning on having my transom enclosed and going with a bracket as well.  Will most likely have mine done in January or February.  Looking forward to seeing yours.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

September 18, 2011, 10:52:46 PM
Reply #17

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »
Hello John,
Thanks for the well wishes. Unlike my 200CCP which has a usable and functional transom/splashwell, the 246's splashwell is massive and seems quite useless. I looked it up and your 222 seems to be similar. A closed off transom and a bracket seem to make sense and add a ton of space. Im not sure when im going to get to it. Finances will dictate the rate of this project. If your talking Jan-feb then we'll be seeing yours first. stay tuned!

September 19, 2011, 08:51:06 AM
Reply #18

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »
You are right Koz.  Our splashwells are identical.  As you pointed out, much more deck area could be gained by removing it and closing in the transom.  My transom is wet, and will need attention soon anyway.  It would most likely hold out for several more years, but after seeing your post I have the "itch" to go ahead and close it in.

That 246 looks to be in good shape.  Looking forward to seeing your work with her.  You will have the "flagship" of the CCP's :thumright:
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

September 19, 2011, 09:02:19 AM
Reply #19

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »
Quote from: "kaptainkoz"
Optimally I would like a new tank but 1/4 shorter in length to move the weight forward. I dont need a 125 gallons plus I would like to offset some weight off the stern being I am going to install a motor bracket.

First KK congratulations on the find  :salut:  but try not to forget the Aqua mantra....

You can put 5 gals. in a 125 gal. tank but not the other way around. Don't let your personal knowledge of your boating needs and style get in the way of the chance that someday you may want to cross the Atlantic, solo. :roll:  Don't forget that at about $10 a gal. you'll never find a cheaper price to store air (including water vapor). :mrgreen:  

Lastly, remember nothing kills the resale of a 32 year old, cult following brand hull faster than a new fuel tank that is not as big as the original. Think about your recent purchase. If it had a 90 gal. three year old tank instead if the original (??) would you have even considered looking at the craft much less buying it?  :wink:

All kidding (?) aside, you are right about the transom. It robs you of valuable fishing space. I always wanted (never have) to close in the transom. I did move the batteries forward and the 222 seemed to handle (and steer) with no additional problems. Keep the progress pics coming. :thumleft:

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 19, 2011, 09:23:00 AM
Reply #20

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Excellent point on future resale value and marketability. Nice ride Koz!

September 19, 2011, 09:35:40 AM
Reply #21

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
First KK congratulations on the find  :salut:  but try not to forget the Aqua mantra....

You can put 5 gals. in a 125 gal. tank but not the other way around. Don't let your personal knowledge of your boating needs and style get in the way of the chance that someday you may want to cross the Atlantic, solo. :roll:  Don't forget that at about $10 a gal. you'll never find a cheaper price to store air (including water vapor). :mrgreen:  

Lastly, remember nothing kills the resale of a 32 year old, cult following brand hull faster than a new fuel tank that is not as big as the original. Think about your recent purchase. If it had a 90 gal. three year old tank instead if the original (??) would you have even considered looking at the craft much less buying it?  :wink:

Quote from: "MarshMarlowe196"
Just my $0.02-
You can always put just 35gal. in a 50gal. tank.  The extra fuel is always nice to have when you want it.  I would never want to limit my range because you never know when that might limit how many fish you catch, or worse...  Besides, I always feel like I don't have quite enough gas as it is : )

:lol:  :lol:

Hey, I still stand by my comments there.   :thumright:  That's funny stuff, but I think the difference between a 90gal vs. 120gal is a little less limiting than 35gal vs. 50gal.  Lets keep it in context guys   :bounce:

Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
you'll never find a cheaper price to store air (including water vapor). :mrgreen:  

Hey, I thought we decided that since Pascoe thinks that's impossible, then that's something we never need to worry about  :scratch:

:wink:
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

September 19, 2011, 10:00:57 AM
Reply #22

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »
KK,
The pilothouse is an excellent idea for your neck of the woods.  Funny, when you posted the pic of your rendering, I said, "Damn, that looks like a Pacific PH model!"  Yeah, you are dead on as far as cost, we installed that same model on a government boat at Proline a few years ago, our cost was around $5500, and the damn thing was a piece of chit, if you ask me!

When you get around to the canvas (curtains), and you don't have a particular canvas guy in mind, I can put you in touch with the guy that was doing BlackfinMike's 29 Blackfin when I was up there last year.  Excellent work, he normally does most of his jobs out in the Hamptons ($$$), but Mike lives in Dix Hills.

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 19, 2011, 10:43:04 AM
Reply #23

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »
If you need a good canvas guy try True Blue Canvas in Lindenhurst he does great work and has good prices.

September 19, 2011, 11:31:15 AM
Reply #24

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
Quote from: "Double Trouble"
If you need a good canvas guy try True Blue Canvas in Lindenhurst he does great work and has good prices.

DT, what's up, bud?  How's the striper fishing?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 19, 2011, 12:26:27 PM
Reply #25

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Quote from: "Double Trouble"

DT, what's up, bud?  How's the striper fishing?

Hi Bob hope everything is well with you.The fall stripers are just starting and the Black fish starts Oct 1st hoping to get some good trips in before I close up for the winter and go back into manitenance mode.Had a pretty good summer.I see you have been keeping busy with work. Enjoy and talk to you soon.

September 19, 2011, 02:44:51 PM
Reply #26

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
Koz,

I would have to agree with Capt. Bob about your tank capacity.  When I replaced mine in the 200 CCP, I stepped down to a 55 gallon tank versus the original 73 gallon.  I often regretted doing that and wish I would have had the extra fuel capacity.

You have an offshore machine with that tank.  Just my 2 cents but I would consider keeping the tank original in size.
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

September 20, 2011, 01:46:15 AM
Reply #27

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 01:46:15 AM »
Awesome, awesome comments and information. Thank you all again I really appreciate the brainstorming. First off I hear all of you about the fuel capacity and I agree on the point that more is better. I am not worried about the cost savings of a smaller tank nor am I thinking I have to fill it up every time. My thoughts were strictly on center of gravity. A bracket disrupts the center of gravity by hanging the motor back another 2 feet. I figured by shortening the tank by a foot or so would counter the weight distribution a bit. I dont know if going down to 90 or 100 gallons is going to kill resale, and im not sure if im even concerned or care about resale. I think a hardcore, multiday trip fisherman is going to want a cabin of some sort in case all hell breaks loose weather wise. Im not saying its impossible but I dont think a center console is going to be a first choice. 100 gallons is still a hell of alot of fuel to burn in 24 to 48 hours. And besides, a tank is around $600, when (and if) im ready to sell I can make good on it if its a deal breaker. This boat is NOT going to pass title anytime soon. There really isnt anything out there that I like better. Also, there is a fairly good chance that tank is going back in. I have to clean it up and see what she looks like. Ill probably run 5 lbs of pressure through it as well and see if it holds

Resale and overall fuel quantity aside, do I have even half a point about shortening the tank to 100 gals from the stern to compensate for the weight distribution of a bracket? Thats pretty much my main concern. Also, I will be adding a bit of fiberglass goodies to the transom as part of closing it off so thats going to be added weight too. Mathematically to go from 125 to 100 is a 20% decrease which brings me from 87 inches to 69.6 inches. Is moving the tank up 17 inches going to offset the weight of the bracket or am I just making myself nuts over this?

Next, canvas. thanks guys for the referrals but my brother does reupholstery and has the skills and machinery to crank out whatever soft goods I will need.

SeaBob.... Holy cr@p! $5,500??? I heard Pacific Pilothouse were expensive but thats more than this entire project will cost. My rendering is similar to theirs but im basically just following the lines of the center console. speaking of costs, I got a quote from American Marine Products for 3 windows - the front and the two sides. The front had a section that tilted out and the two sides were fixed. They were white powercoated aluminum frames with tempered glass. Now, I am not knocking their product because I have never seen it, but it was around $1,100 for the front and $850 for each of the sides! They would have been awesome for the project but thats just too rich for me. Im going with a basic rubber channel moulding which will make the windows fixed.  I am leaning towards glass but I havent gotten a price yet. I dont like plexiglass especially for the front window. I could be swayed on the sides but we'll see.
Also seabob, yes, moving the batteries under the center console to me is the way to go with the CCP's. I did that to my 200 before I even put her in the water.

I just finished putting the 246 on blocks and getting the trailer out from under her. I hate blocking boats. It freaks me out. Its like playing Jenga with a 2600lb piece. Not a calm, cool, easy night. The 200CCP is going on the 246's trailer and Im selling the 200's trailer because I need the money and space. Ironically enough the trailer for the 200 is a Seneca trailer which also was made in Hialeah Fl. Nice matching pair and a great trailer. Too bad its too short. The 246's trailer is a rusty old crappy Shoreline that needs almost everything. Its 2 am im going bed! Thanks again all

September 20, 2011, 08:51:21 AM
Reply #28

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
KK,
My comments on the fuel tank were strictly satirical (as both Jessie and Scott know).
They are also just my opinion and mine alone.  8)

You seem to have a handle on the use of the boat and as such, sizing the tank to suite you works fine. That's my whole point.

As far as weight distribution, remember that it's constantly changing as you burn fuel. Moving a couple of guys forward will cause the weight to change also so I personally would not stress on this point. Trim tabs (if you don't have those(?)) will help to overcome the shifted weight while underway.

Looking back at my bracketed CCP, it suffered with the open transom in a following sea. That was another reason I wanted to enclose the transom. I offset the weight a little by moving the two batteries from their stern mount to under the console. Handling never seemed compromised by the bracket and it was the cats meow for diving, which was how the boat was set up.

I don't think you're traveling uncharted waters with these mods.
Have fun, spend some money and help the economy at the same time. :thumleft:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

September 21, 2011, 12:11:01 AM
Reply #29

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 12:11:01 AM »
CaptBob,
No need to apologize. I appreciate all the comments and conversation. Yes, I am transplanting the trim tabs from the 200. Thanks for your feedback on the bracket. My experience is limited to my soaked-foam 200CCP which is a bit heavy in the stern so im a bit sensitive to trying to figure out the correct balance. Like you said its like a guy or two moving up and down the boat.
Its going to be a cool stern when its done.  Ive been prototyping my fresh water sink. I didnt want the hassles of a fresh water storage tank and electric pump so im going to experement with a 3 gallon gardening pump sprayer! True, it will not be enough pressure to wash the deck down but all I want it for is to rinse the bait slime off my hands and the salt off my tackle. For a small sink it should be perfect.

I did not have such a great day with the trailer today. Its a mess. its a Shore line roller trailer which I hate. I like bunks. Both of the crossmembers are rusted pretty bad but they can wait a bit. My concern for the day was the spring equalizers were broken. two trips to the spring shop, $200 later for a box of bolts, and an entire days work and im still maybe 1/2 done. Every bolt on every spring and ubolt had to be cut and/or heated to be removed. The spring carrier assembly had to come out, I had to cut and grind off all 6 spring carriers and weld in new ones because they were rusted beyond use. Then, I was messing around with the axles (which seem to be okay rust wise and externally) and I can tell one axle needs bearing attention. Great. But in any event, i should have it back together by noon tomorrow. Then its off to the dock to transplant the 200CCP on to this trailer so I can sell the 200's trailer.
More to come....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal