Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Center Console Professional (CCP) Rebuilds

91-250 CCP Refit

(1/6) > >>

DanB:
Started the tearing down process to see what I needed to work on. The tank access cover is soft where the topside tank was. What do you guys think about using 3/4" nidacore or similar to replace the wood in the cover? I don't have any experience with composite core board other than what I read online. Prices on marine wood seem to be comparable in range so I rather go the composite route. The tank is in pretty good shape considering it was manufactured in 89. The pitting seems to be in the areas where the straps were laid. The plate says it is a 117-gallon tank manufactured by Florida marine tanks out of Hialeah. I sent them an email but haven't heard anything yet. I guess they relocated manufacturing to NC from what the website says. Any advice/recommendation for a replacement tank?

Looks like the tank may have had a hard impact toward the front of the tank bedding. I imagine when it was on the trailer. The tank to bed has a 6-8" gap allowing it to slide back and forth. I guess they just patched it up with some fiberglass cloth and added piece of 2x2 wood to keep the tank from sliding.

RickK:
Using composite as a coring is fine. You see the unsupported area under the tank lid. This usually allows for the lid to feel "springy", which makes people think they need to rebuild the lid. You probably do need to rebuild the coring but after you recor, if you still feel the springy effect, it's due to the unsupported width between the stringers. The area in front of the tank has the same unsupported width and springy feel. That area can be made into storage and people have made crossmembers to support the lid.

Capt. Bob:
These folks provided tanks for the later Genmar built Aquas. They can build you just what you want and may have the cut sheet for your model. My 91 WAC had a FMT tank also and they (RDS) built my replacement.

https://rdsaluminum.com/marine-custom.html

PS..FMT built my 1984 CCP tank (factory installed) also. When I replaced the tank in 96, I bought it from FMT. They relocated some time ago. RDS is in Perry Florida about 50 miles east of where I'm living.

Good luck.

DanB:
Thanks, RickK for the advice as always. The area where the secondary above deck tank sat was to the point that it felt like you could fall through the panel. That tank (55 gallon) was only secured by 4 small screws going into the main tank access panel. They were all loose/ threading stripped out. Probably from all the filled weight shifting. I imagine with the boat being 32 years old that is still a pretty good. When I finish all the repairs, I am not looking at resail value. Just the learning and enjoyment of it all. With that said I am probably going to redo the entire deck as well. Mainly because I don't know how many years the deck has left. I know it is going to be some work to get it done. Besides now is the time from me to do it while everything is already out, I figure. It will also give me a chance to look over the bilge and stinger area to make sure everything is good.

Now just have to reglass. I will try and keep posting pictures along the way.

DanB:
Capt. Bob, I just called RDS hoping they could build the tank. They are only 2 hours away from where I live outside of Jacksonville. I called and they are back logged for the next few months, so they aren't taking on any custom orders according to the sales dept. Just my luck. Going to reach out FMT again. Ultimately, I will look at finding something similar in the 120 Gallon range and modifying the tank holding belly/bed area if it is more cost effective. I drove up to Fiberglass Supply Depot in Fort Pierce yesterday and was hoping to check out Marine Connections Liquidators, but they are closed on Mondays. Will call them shortly to see if they have anything in the range. I will contact Moeller out if curiosity as well. The tank I have may have a couple of years left but some of the pitting is close to a 1/16 in depth. My understanding is the aluminum tank wall thickness is 1/8th (.125). No big deal either way. Something will work out eventually. Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version