Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: New deck  (Read 750 times)

July 30, 2013, 06:03:23 PM
Read 750 times

3xlski

• Information Offline
New deck
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
Hi all I'm new to this site but I have been looking at all the rebuilds and I am amazed at the work ALL of you have done on your boats. I have a 1973 222center console  that needs a new deck due to soft spots and I want to pick your brains. Rip the old one out or cut and support soft spots and go over old one? 1/2 " marine ply ok or is there some better material? I plan on painting her in and out and doing a non skid on the new deck. Any and all advice is appreciated thanks, Ted

July 30, 2013, 07:58:05 PM
Reply #1

gman 82 aquasport

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: New deck
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
Welcome aboard!!, My .02, I would not add a floor over the old one :pale: , Reason#1, you would be adding weight that you don't have to :( . #2, if the floor is soft ,it's probably wet and the foam probably will be wet as well, you would want all the heavy wet stuff gone :thumright: ..#3, with a new floor(after cutting the old one out) you can check the condition of the stringers and everything else below the old floor, you will wind up with a better rebuild and will probably be lighter afterwards as well :thumright: ..As for materials, I used 3/4 inch a/c plywood, covered with 6 oz cloth and epoxy on the bottom, then 17 oz layer with epoxy covered by 6 oz on top, ran 2 different directions for strenght :thumright: but there is more than one way to skin a cat :scratch:
1982 19-6 Osprey
1992 Johnson 150
"THERAPY"
Member # 2331

July 30, 2013, 09:40:07 PM
Reply #2

3xlski

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »
Thank you for the advise. I have been using the boat with my kids and plan to put the floor in next week. " The STRINGERS" that's what scares me. I'm not a builder and really do not want to see what they look like but I'm not the brightest and I really can't wait to cut that floor out.what is AC fir ply and can I purchase it at lowes or Home Depot? I want to do it right and plan on running port to starboard stringers to reinforce is this wise thanks again

July 30, 2013, 10:01:24 PM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »
Ted, welcome aboard!!

I don't want to be the bearer of unwanted news. But someone has to do it, so it may as well be me. I'm on my second 22-2.

I have a '73 just like yours. Every original un-restored 70's 22-2 Aquasport has three areas that will need to be addressed:

a) Waterlogged/soft plywood-cored transom

b) Soft/rotten plywood-cored deck(floor)

c) Fiberglass stringers....but internal foam is full of water

A,b, and c  add several hundred pounds above factory weight as new. And don't doubt that only one of the three is a concern....they go hand in hand.

Run her as she is for now...and do all three this winter. There are MANY 22-2 rebuilds here. Some took three months...others took three years. Check the 22-2 rebuild threads :wink:

You have a beautiful boat :thumright:

Welcome to the club!

July 30, 2013, 10:31:42 PM
Reply #4

gman 82 aquasport

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »
Gran hit the nail on the head :lol: ,  All three of those pieces are usually together, soft floor, soft transom(unless it was done before), water logged stringers...As for the stringers, Aquasport stringers are actually easy to rebuild, you cut the top of the stringer off (saving it),remove the old wet foam, reglass the stringer tops back on and refill with foam :thumright: . It's actually alot easier than the floor will be, and if you have the floor out you might as well fix anything that needs fixin'.
As far as A/C fir plywood, I don't know where your located, but I got mine at my nearest Lowes, it's an in stock item..A/C fir has no voids in the laminating process, therefor a stronger piece of wood..but you will still need to seal it with whatever resin you decide to use. Polyester is less expensive than epoxy and you can gelcoat over poly but not epoxy, but they say epoxy is a little stronger and is easier to mix, just resin and a hardner usually mixed 2 to 1..
Gran is also right that if your useing the boat now, and it's performing ok, finish this season out and redo the floor and such over the winter or off season..Can't give much advise about a transom rebuild as mine was already redone when I got the hull :cheers: But post pics here and others will chime in with advise and wisdom :salut:
1982 19-6 Osprey
1992 Johnson 150
"THERAPY"
Member # 2331

July 31, 2013, 07:53:54 AM
Reply #5

3xlski

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:53:54 AM »
Thanks Gman and Gran for the helpful advise

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal