Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Leaning post / Baitwell options  (Read 6361 times)

March 03, 2005, 09:56:06 AM
Read 6361 times

Rayos

• Information Offline
Leaning post / Baitwell options
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:56:06 AM »
Doing a '71 222 restoration and am now trying to decide on the
behind the console seating/post/baitwell.  I am putting a v6 150 carb yam and the batteries will be under the console, the tank has been shifted a bit forward and I might push the console up a bit too - therefore,  I think
I might be able to have a baitwell behind the console, maybe a removable one.  My options so far:

1. Todd two post height adjustable leaning post seat
http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/bo ... 01314.html

I can put a 27 gal under there most of the way when I need it and keep
the boat pretty uncluttered when cruising

2.  Swing back http://www.livebaitlarry.com/swing_back_seats.asp

3. Or, a baitwell the type that has captain's chairs right on top that sits permanent or a custom build that sits there and acts like a leaning post when you put the cushion on it.

How expensive are the option 3s?  Any other suggestions? Open to all ideas .. Thanks, Ray

March 03, 2005, 10:08:52 AM
Reply #1

captin.kid

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:08:52 AM »
tough pick i am in the same boat.... having to figure out what i want to do on mine

March 03, 2005, 12:10:58 PM
Reply #2

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:10:58 PM »
I'm thinkin along the same lines - what leaning post to put in.

Found this one:  http://www.nauticaldesigninc.com/livewell40_sm.htm  by nautical design.  I might put the bait well in the floor compartment forward of the console, and put a swing back cooler seat back behind the console, but it's such a pain in the ass to keep bending down to get bait out of those in floor baitwells.

Havn't decided yet.
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.
Should spash her in the summer.
Just don\'t know which summer.

March 03, 2005, 01:18:42 PM
Reply #3

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 01:18:42 PM »
Ray,
I can honestly say the swingback deal is about the most useless piece of marine seating ever designed.  It's a great cooler, but that's about it.   I looked at the Todd adjustable thing also, but I'm concerned about it adjusting itself while I ride it down to the deck.  I went to Yahoo once, did a search on rocket launchers and it seems like a pretty competitve business.  My favorite is Birdsall.  Not only can you stuff a cooler underneath, but the area under the cushion is also storage.
1973 22.2 Osprey - Sand Bar II
Miamuh, Florida

March 03, 2005, 06:27:45 PM
Reply #4

Rayos

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 06:27:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I like that set up Seadog but trying to keep it
as open as possible.  Now Radioshop has me thinkin about the adjustable one slipp'in down.  But I like the fact it keeps the boat open.  I actually got a rocket launcher with the boat that was worth half of what I paid. It just makes the boat look too much like other center console boats.

Granted the swing aint pretty but it allows you to face back. What about the ole double captain's chairs. Can swing around with drink in one hand and rod in the other..

Not an easy choice..

March 03, 2005, 06:29:56 PM
Reply #5

captflatback

• Information Offline
    • http://www.lighttackleadventures.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 06:29:56 PM »
If you want a livewell or a livewell leanning post this guy has done a good number of them in tampa here is his web site http://www.hammerheadlivewells.com/ he is building mine right now i have the livewell in the photo with a leaning post seat that go's forward i'll take some photos of it and post them in the next day or too.

March 03, 2005, 06:41:12 PM
Reply #6

Rayos

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 06:41:12 PM »
That's very nice capt.flat back.  Email me or post what that well costs.
Rayos@bellsouth.net. Thanks - also, like to see the other pics. Will be on the lookout.

March 03, 2005, 07:57:35 PM
Reply #7

Deck Daddy

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 07:57:35 PM »
Rayos, have you tried www.smittysmarine.net or sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale. The nautical fle market should be around the corner in Dania to find some stuff. Thats where I found most of my stuff for my 1974 17' project when I lived in Miami. I got a leanning post from a vendor for 30$. If you are not familiar with sailorman I will explain their outfit.
One boat at a time.

March 03, 2005, 09:00:29 PM
Reply #8

Rayos

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 09:00:29 PM »
Been to Smitty's Deck Dad, but not familiar with Sailorman.

March 03, 2005, 09:35:04 PM
Reply #9

Deck Daddy

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 09:35:04 PM »
Sailorman is a new used marine store. Almost like a bone yard for boat parts. They will take stuff in trade or buy it from you. They have a guy who travels the US and buys out marina stock or going out of bus inventories. It is a neat place. I have sold them plenty of anchors that I have come across diving off Ft Laud. It is hit or miss what they have. But I have bought a center console from them and a 40 gal live well dirt cheep. www.thedaniamarinefleamarket.com if you have not been here it is a must see, I think. Only comes around once a year. The Hammerhead live well sure is sweet, now its got me re-thinking my current project for a livewell leaningpost set up.
One boat at a time.

March 04, 2005, 06:25:44 AM
Reply #10

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 06:25:44 AM »
I think the original AS CC came with a type of swingback seat.  The reason I say that is I was having lunch on an island in the mouth of the Venice jetties inlet and a boat exactly like my 170 motored by and it looked like it was still factory.  It had a swingback seat.  My seat base had slotted alum rails/guides on the side of it when I got it but no back rest.  I thought they were handles of some type until I saw the hole in the center bottom of the base on each side.  Then I realized it was for some type movable backrest.  After seeing the other AS it clicked.  

It's too bad that there aren't more sites to find info on the original boats and their configuration.  Makes restoring them guesswork.  I even had to make the AS cursive letters myself because I couldn't find any.   You can also see the seat base in that pic. I keep the cushion in the garage so it doesn't get funky.

My 170 has a narrow beam in that area (not that it's much wider anywhere else :( )- around 5.5 ft, so another thing to think about is whether the swing back will get in your way when walking around.  I thought it would for me (beam again) and would have to be in the forward position to stay out of the way.
Anyway, I cut the "handles" off when I did my rebuild because I kept whacking my leg on them when walking around the base.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

March 04, 2005, 07:36:08 AM
Reply #11

captin.kid

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 07:36:08 AM »
RickK
Look in the photo gallery I still have the original seat for my boat and use it. It is a swing back with teak wood. The cooler is great but it is a pain to see when on the move. I can swing the seat back froward and sit on it but in rough seas well that does not work to good. If anyone needs any information or pic let me know...

March 04, 2005, 07:41:27 AM
Reply #12

captin.kid

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 07:41:27 AM »

Here is a pic

March 04, 2005, 09:09:22 AM
Reply #13

fishbonz

Livewell/seat on a 222
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 09:09:22 AM »
I did the same thing a Capt. Flatback with a well from Quality in Tarpon Sptings.  The oval well has 40-45gal capacity and a very comfortable cushion on top.  Works great as a seat and well and is very compact.  If you want to see the installation, email me and I can show you the boat in Tampa.

March 05, 2005, 09:03:49 AM
Reply #14

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 09:03:49 AM »
Quote from: "captin.kid"
RickK
Look in the photo gallery I still have the original seat for my boat and use it. It is a swing back with teak wood. The cooler is great but it is a pain to see when on the move. I can swing the seat back froward and sit on it but in rough seas well that does not work to good. If anyone needs any information or pic let me know...

Thanks for the pic.  Mine had aluminum guides (I still have them somewhere) for the, what I'm assuming was, wood siderails of the backrest to go back and forth in. Your pic shows wood guides.  hmmm.  Your signature says 79 AS, I wonder if the setup shown on yours came along after what was on my 71 AS? The seat base looks like it could be the same.  I filled the "pivot" holes in.  Like I said earlier, I wish there was a place we could look that showed what the boats came originally with.  I think your teak guides would have been much kinder to my shinns and thus would still be on the seat :)  I have no way to know if my stuff is stock or what.  I know my console doesn't look like any I've sen here, especially the windshield.
I wonder if the seat top/lid on yours is the original.  Mine did not have that type by the time I got it.  Just a piece of plywood with a cushion on top. :roll:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal