Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 19-6 FF Makeover  (Read 2387 times)

March 29, 2014, 06:31:41 PM
Reply #15

BradleyD

• Information Offline
Re: 19-6 FF Makeover
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 06:31:41 PM »
Fabbed the new tank and got it installed. Still got to hook up all the lines though. Tried something a little different with the mounting. I've seen the usual stainless straps come loose from the rubber isolator too many times and chaff holes in the tank or cause electrolysis so instead I welded a mounting angle on each end and screwed/5200 it to the bottom of the box. I made a starboard "washer" and drilled the holes over size in the angle so there shouldn't be any dissimilar metal action going on but still hold it firmly in place.

March 29, 2014, 06:44:19 PM
Reply #16

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
Looks good. :thumleft:

What's underneath?
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 29, 2014, 07:51:19 PM
Reply #17

BradleyD

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 07:51:19 PM »
Underneath the tank? Nothing but a little air gap. The bottom of the box has somewhat of a V in it,  not sure if it's supposed to but used it as a way to create an air gap underneath. I could have added a spacer of some sort but the tank is already pretty shallow  even being built  with just enough room between the deck and fill neck to get the hose on.

March 31, 2014, 10:29:24 PM
Reply #18

fishinonthebrain

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
Did you fab that tank yourself? Nice job.

You might want to do some research on painting and sealing that tank before you cover it up for a few years. Search on this site you will find some good info.  :wink:
1987 222CCP current rebuild.

April 02, 2014, 09:31:24 AM
Reply #19

BradleyD

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »

Yes. I have a small aluminum fabrication business building T-tops, casting platforms, etc. so the boat will is probably going to end up covered in aluminum accessories  :D  

You might want to do some research on painting and sealing that tank before you cover it up for a few years. Search on this site you will find some good info.  :wink:

It may be a little too late for that  :oops:  That being said, I've read a lot of info (from other sites mostly) on the paint, no paint, foam, no foam, do nothing, etc. and seems that there are many ways to skin the cat with no fail proof way of installing the tank. I do believe a properly painted tank will last longer, but there's a couple reasons I used the "do nothing" method. First being I'm a much better fabricator than painter and my fear would be that if I did not paint it properly then it would only add to the corrosion problem if the paint failed, chipped, or whatever. Second being is I can't say I've ever seen a tank with proper ventilation and grounding to fail unless something out of the ordinary happened, example being I've seen on two different occasions/boats the holding straps come loose from the rubber isolators and chaff a hole through in one and set up corrosion in the other. Time will tell but believe it will be there for years to come.

April 02, 2014, 09:50:09 AM
Reply #20

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »
If you haven't finished the install yet and can still remove the tank you can coat it some of this. It will seal against moisture and will wick into crevices to help stop corrosion at those points. It is soluble in gas but as long as nothing leaks you should be good for quite a few years. Prep is minimal, just wipe aluminum with acetone or the wax and grease remover of your choice. When I pull my pie holes over my tank it is good to see the condensation beaded up on top of this product. It is used in automotive to seal inside the pillars around the doors. It will work very well inside of tubing of any kind. The material is kind of like a beeswax in a can but better!

http://dominionsureseal.com/index.php?o ... -corrosion
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

April 02, 2014, 10:11:55 PM
Reply #21

fishinonthebrain

• Information Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
Quote from: "BradleyD"

Yes. I have a small aluminum fabrication business building T-tops, casting platforms, etc. so the boat will is probably going to end up covered in aluminum accessories  :D  

It may be a little too late for that  :oops:  That being said, I've read a lot of info (from other sites mostly) on the paint, no paint, foam, no foam, do nothing, etc. and seems that there are many ways to skin the cat with no fail proof way of installing the tank. I do believe a properly painted tank will last longer, but there's a couple reasons I used the "do nothing" method. First being I'm a much better fabricator than painter and my fear would be that if I did not paint it properly then it would only add to the corrosion problem if the paint failed, chipped, or whatever. Second being is I can't say I've ever seen a tank with proper ventilation and grounding to fail unless something out of the ordinary happened, example being I've seen on two different occasions/boats the holding straps come loose from the rubber isolators and chaff a hole through in one and set up corrosion in the other. Time will tell but believe it will be there for years to come.

Bradley what city are you in?

April 03, 2014, 08:37:33 AM
Reply #22

BradleyD

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 08:37:33 AM »
If you haven't finished the install yet and can still remove the tank you can coat it some of this. It will seal against moisture and will wick into crevices to help stop corrosion at those points. It is soluble in gas but as long as nothing leaks you should be good for quite a few years. Prep is minimal, just wipe aluminum with acetone or the wax and grease remover of your choice. When I pull my pie holes over my tank it is good to see the condensation beaded up on top of this product. It is used in automotive to seal inside the pillars around the doors. It will work very well inside of tubing of any kind. The material is kind of like a beeswax in a can but better!

http://dominionsureseal.com/index.php?o ... -corrosion

That stuff's pretty interesting and bet it could have several applications on a boat...hmm  :scratch:  But my problem with doing anything extra now is that the tank is mounted/rigged, fuel in it, and the floor sealed back into place. I feel comfortable with how it's installed and believe I will not have to worry about it for a long while.

April 03, 2014, 08:38:15 AM
Reply #23

BradleyD

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
Bradley what city are you in?

Good ole Mobile, Al

April 03, 2014, 08:53:36 AM
Reply #24

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 08:53:36 AM »
Bradley, you have some excellent metal fab and welding skills, you think about building t-tops, hardtops, and radar arches?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

April 03, 2014, 09:10:00 AM
Reply #25

BradleyD

• Information Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
Bradley, you have some excellent metal fab and welding skills, you think about building t-tops, hardtops, and radar arches?

That's actually what I do  :thumright: I've been doing it for almost 15 years and custom build them as a side business. My "real" job is an engineer for a inspection/QC company. Not sure of the rules here though so kinda let it be and not "promote" anything.

April 03, 2014, 09:15:50 AM
Reply #26

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
Here's the place to do a little "self promotion"...viewforum.php?f=12

Corner of 520 and A1A...

April 03, 2014, 11:18:53 AM
Reply #27

redemn93

• Information Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »
wish you were closer.  Id be placing an order for a fuel tank.  thats next winter's task though.
Jason.  1987 200 Osprey - almost done...for now

April 03, 2014, 01:05:27 PM
Reply #28

BradleyD

• Information Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »
Here's the place to do a little "self promotion"...viewforum.php?f=12

Sweet...thanks!

wish you were closer. Id be placing an order for a fuel tank. thats next winter's task though.

Unfortunately fuel tanks are something I don't sell. First being I don't have the certification and/or insurance for it nor do I have the equipment to build one for a reasonable price. I'm set up to work with anodized pipe almost exclusively and while I can build one for myself, it probably took me twice as long as a fabricator set up to work with plate. Thanks for the consideration though!

April 03, 2014, 08:07:23 PM
Reply #29

fishinonthebrain

• Information Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 08:07:23 PM »
What type of welding machine do you have?

I own a steel fabricating company and do dabble in aluminum work but only in mig. I have been seriously considering making my own t-top frame but don't want it mig welded. What process did you weld your gas tank with?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal